Steeda jacking rail question

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
After installing the jacking rail I realized that I can’t even get my jacks on them as my jack stands are a U shape and the jacking rail is right up against the pinch weld so the jack stand would just sit on the pinch weld anyways as the jacking rails are lower than the pinch weld. I also noticed they do not sit level as I thought they kind of tilt up towards the middle of the car so I think this would make them hard to jack up as well. I saw there was a little wiggle room with them but I installed them up against the pinch weld since I thought that’s how they’re supposed to go. Should I push them as far away from the pinch weld as I can and retorque the bolts or is that just how they are?
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That’s just how they are. I looked at that too when I was installing mine. There will be a slight gap between the jacking rail and pinch weld. As for your jack stands, maybe you can have some flat 1/4” plates welded to the top of the jack stands for stability. I ordered some jack stands with round flat pucks that have rubber guards on them for more stability. I wouldn’t trust the traditional jack stands without modifying them as mentioned above.

OP
OP
AnthonyA1234

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
That’s just how they are. I looked at that too when I was installing mine. There will be a slight gap between the jacking rail and pinch weld. As for your jack stands, maybe you can have some flat 1/4” plates welded to the top of the jack stands for stability. I ordered some jack stands with round flat pucks that have rubber guards on them for more stability. I wouldn’t trust the traditional jack stands without modifying them as mentioned above.
Damn that’s annoying, do yours tilt up as well?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Damn that’s annoying, do yours tilt up as well?
Yes, mine have a slight tilt to them as well. I think that’s caused by the slope on the floor pan and there’s nothing that can be done about that. The other benefit of the jack stands that I ordered is, they have a max working height of 20” which is higher than the traditional stands.
0ED825EC-4C6F-4B2A-A810-8B8E1ECFC064.jpeg

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
After installing the jacking rail I realized that I can’t even get my jacks on them as my jack stands are a U shape and the jacking rail is right up against the pinch weld so the jack stand would just sit on the pinch weld anyways as the jacking rails are lower than the pinch weld. I also noticed they do not sit level as I thought they kind of tilt up towards the middle of the car so I think this would make them hard to jack up as well. I saw there was a little wiggle room with them but I installed them up against the pinch weld since I thought that’s how they’re supposed to go. Should I push them as far away from the pinch weld as I can and retorque the bolts or is that just how they are?
They will tilt up a little. if its a lot may be on some seam sealer. Personally i would only use the rails to jack the car from the center and spread out the stands to the k member next to the two bolts where it attaches the chassis and the pinch closest to the rear wheels. If you have steeda braces that's a great place for the stands at the rear right where they bolt into to chassis . I have u shaped stands up front with v shaped ones in the rear.

Sponsored

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
I had scape away some of the seam seal in places to level out the rails, as my rails did the same thing as you described when I did test fit. I would imaging every car is a bit different with seal over-run:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-jacking-rails-1516-cust-install-390076.html

"7. When test fitting note if the rail fits flush. It likely will not. In most cases the seam seal will push the rail out and prevent it from having a flat, flush fit with no gaps. In this instance, use a tool to scrape the seam seal off in the necessary locations. Only remove the seam seal required for a flush fit. A razor, gasket scrapper, or other scraping tool can be used. Be careful to not scrape too deep."

1606958612150.png

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yes, I also used a loose razor blade to carefully remove seam sealer. The tip up angle on mine is very minimal even with the seam sealer removed.
Sponsored