Sponsored

Jacking rail?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Oftentimes, in harsher climates, there are instances where surface rust can develop. We do recommend wiping them with a rag soaked in WD-40 before, and a couple of times during the winter to protect them from road salt.

https://www.steeda.com/steedas-strongest-powder-coat

With our newest changes to our powder coating, we have landed an even higher rating for quality and durability than ever before. Our Engineering & Manufacturing Teams are always looking for ways to improve.

When we sent out some of our powder-coated parts to get salt spray tested to ensure long-term durability and reliability, we received higher results than we had expected.

They came back with a 9 out of 10 rating after 750 hours of direct salt spray testing, landing higher than the industry standard of 6 out of 10. With this high rating, we are proud to announce that Steeda’s powder coating is the strongest it has ever been!

Let me know if I can help assist further!

Thank you,

TJ
@tj@steeda
How will anyone know if they are getting any of the better powder coated suspension parts now? Is there a different color of powder costing being used, a different part #, or some type of dating on the part boxes?
Sponsored

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Its been over a year since we implemented the higher standards on the powder coating - most parts are being manufactured with these new processes. Since 2021 - most parts have gone through several new cycles of manufacturing.

Our Steeda parts come with a lifetime warranty - so whether its the old process or new process, they are covered under our warranty program - https://www.steeda.com/terms-and-conditions

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I have kenny brown ones on my car and this mod Is amazing. On one hand it provides more rigid chassis and on the other hand it's great for lifting the whole side from 1 point. My track friends were really impressed when I was changing wheels on track with them.
I'm curious about the Kenny Bown jacking rails, there isn't a lot of information about their durability. I'm sure it snows where you live :) and you race, so they must see a lot of use. I may have asked you in another thread (not sure if it was you) but how are your KB rails holding up after a year? I had a set of Steeda rails but they rotted away severely and quickly. It's not the money, they are actually about the same price as the Steeda full length rails, but then again time is also money. I just want to put them in once and forget about them.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious about the Kenny Bown jacking rails, there isn't a lot of information about their durability. I'm sure it snows where you live :) and you race, so they must see a lot of use. I may have asked you in another thread (not sure if it was you) but how are your KB rails holding up after a year? I had a set of Steeda rails but they rotted away severely and quickly. It's not the money, they are actually about the same price as the Steeda full length rails, but then again time is also money. I just want to put them in once and forget about them.
Kenny Brown Jacking rails are amazing. I'm really happy with the fit and finish of the jacking rails and they are doing very good job when Jacking the car and made the chassis feel more stiff.
However I don't drive in rain or snow as I don't daily my car. So I can't say how well they hold but I have them for more than 2 years now and 20 000 km's and they are holding very well. The only downside is that this are full length rails so there is no way to install stop the hop braces with them installed and this might be a consideration. Hope this helps.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
So you do test with salt spray.
When we sent out some of our powder-coated parts to get salt spray tested to ensure long-term durability and reliability, we received higher results than we had expected.

They came back with a 9 out of 10 rating after 750 hours of direct salt spray testing...
Then why deny my lifetime warranty because of salt? Not because they are old?
Our Steeda parts come with a lifetime warranty - so whether its the old process or new process, they are covered under our warranty program - https://www.steeda.com/terms-and-conditions
Also you :
We do recommend wiping them with a rag soaked in WD-40 before, and a couple of times during the winter to protect them from road salt.
Hey after maybe every car wash I should have got down on my back and wiped off my jacking rails? Maybe I should have wiped off my exhaust, sway bars, tie rods, differential, etc 🙄 wouldn't want them to rust from all the salt. Wait, those parts are all doing fine. Hmm.

I'm sorry to beat this drum again. But I bet a lot of $150 plus tax pieces of junk are in dumpsters all over the place. I also resent being blamed like your rusted part, literally disintegrating, is somehow my fault because I live in a salt state or I didn't wipe the damn things with WD-40 when the rest of the car, even the exhaust, even my rotors aren't nearly as corroded.

You say Steeda sold thousands. I'm sure you did.

But maybe people just install them and never look again. Maybe they don't use them. Maybe they live in no-salt FL or CA or TX. A lot of people put very few miles on their Mustangs. Those are the customers who have no problems, the ones you never heard from. Maybe a bunch just threw them away when they fell apart and just never said anything. But that doesn't let you off the hook with me.

I purchased a competitor. If they rot, too I'll be back bitching about them in few years!

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

Also you :

Hey after maybe every car wash I should have got down on my back and wiped off my jacking rails? Maybe I should have wiped off my exhaust, sway bars, tie rods, differential, etc 🙄 wouldn't want them to rust from all the salt. Wait, those parts are all doing fine. Hmm.

I'm sorry to beat this drum again. But I bet a lot of $150 plus tax pieces of junk are in dumpsters all over the place. I also resent being blamed like your rusted part, literally disintegrating, is somehow my fault because I live in a salt state or I didn't wipe the damn things with WD-40 when the rest of the car, even the exhaust, even my rotors aren't nearly as corroded.

But maybe people just install them and never look again. Maybe they don't use them. Maybe they live in no-salt FL or CA or TX. A lot of people put very few miles on their Mustangs. Those are the customers who have no problems, the ones you never heard from. Maybe a bunch just threw them away when they fell apart and just never said anything. But that doesn't let you off the hook with me.

I purchased a competitor. If they rot, too I'll be back bitching about them in few years!
Did you post pictures of your jacking rails rust? I installed BMR rails but do not drive in the winter. Good Luck.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Also you :

I apologize for any misunderstanding or concerns you may have regarding our warranty program. I want to clarify that our warranty program covers a wide range of items, but it does not typically cover rust issues resulting from improper maintenance or atmospheric conditions.

Also - based on the original email, you were not citing a warranty request at that time, I provided the details to our warranty team as a value-add when reviewing your concerns but unfortunately, they cited the aforementioned reasons as not approving the warranty.

Rust can often be influenced by factors beyond our control, such as environmental elements and individual care practices. Like all aftermarket parts, care & maintenance has to be performed.

However, I can assure you - many of the customers that are running these braces are in similar climates without issue -as mentioned by this customer in Chicago:

" I’ve had my Steeda full-length rails on two different Mustangs for 4 Chicago winters now and there’s not one bit of rust on them last I looked. I’m in the burbs and we get more than enough salt on the roads here. But yeah, after seeing that other post today, I may hit them with a coat of rustoleum before I install them just to be safe. "

Please let me know if I can help assist further,

Thank you,

TJ

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I certainly do not remember anywhere in the instructions that says to spray them with
anything? Also totally unreasonable to say, you should have got under your very low
car and spray them. You admitted that you powder coating process needed improvement
and has now been done. Maybe you should just take care of the guy.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I certainly do not remember anywhere in the instructions that says to spray them with
anything? Also totally unreasonable to say, you should have got under your very low
car and spray them. You admitted that you powder coating process needed improvement
Thank you for your feedback. With anything ... there is a certain amount of preventive maintenance and care which are crucial for ensuring the longevity of any product.

While the powder coating we used previously met high industry standards, we continually strive to improve our processes in line with industry advancements.

As mentioned earlier, if customers notice any issues with the powder coating not holding up to the elements after purchase - we would have been able to provide advice on preventive measures to enhance their durability.

As a manufacturer, we are dedicated to supporting the community and assisting our customers to the best of our abilities. However, it's important to note that our warranty program has certain limitations in terms of coverage. Specifically, rust and atmospheric conditions are not covered under our warranty.

Nonetheless, we remain committed to providing support and assistance wherever possible. If you have any other concerns or inquiries regarding our warranty program or any specific issues you are facing, we are here to help and find the best possible resolution.

If the customer would like to address this with our warranty department - he can call us at 1800 950 0774 & ask for Mike D. or one of our internal support members to discuss further.

TJ

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
For me, I feel Steeda needs to back up thier product quality and replace them. It is obsurd to expect an individual to get under their car a few times a year to spray then down with WD40. I would never buy a product from a company who's first priority is to deny a claim, instead of backing up their products quality. Shame on Steeda. Their action tells me everything I need to know about their company. SAD

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Did you post pictures of your jacking rails rust? I installed BMR rails but do not drive in the winter. Good Luck.
Oh man did I, in a different thread. They were bad in year 2, but by year 5 just crumbling.

But that thread was about something different, subframe bracing compatibility.

Since this is an actual Jacking Rail thread I'll just go ahead and quote myself here:

I'm irritated at the Steeda response to my email. I had Steeda jacking rails on my car 5 years. I was looking to replace them, but I felt I had my money's worth. I sent some photos to "Tim" directly (not in a post) to find out if their powder coat was really better these days because mine rotted badly and I wasn't sure about buying another set. Seriously, I was just going to buy a pair somewhere. Instead of admitting the quality was sub-par in the past he denied a warranty claim I did not even make. Why? Because of quote "atmospheric conditions" and "caustic chemicals." I'm not making this up! Yes, my car has seen road salt and car washes. I admit it.

So I'm irritated. I had not posted any photos but now I will. Maybe someone in here can tell me if I'm off wrong to expect better here.

First of all Steeda's bolts are all completely rusted, the OEM have no rust at all. In fact I'm it looks as though the rust is spreading from the jacking rail onto my undercarriage!
IMG_4668.jpeg

Lowering the car onto a jackstand yesterday even punched a hole in the jacking rail. The pinch weld is taking the load now.
IMG_4671.jpeg

After removing one jacking rail the car looks great underneath where it was installed. This picture was taken today, and I didn't even wipe the undercarriage after removal. Notice almost no rust on the car itself.
IMG_4708.jpeg

You can see that the pinch weld is straight, paint is in place, the weld is strong. The rail is destroyed.
IMG_4679.jpeg

I have many, many more photos, and I even offered in my post to send the jacking rails back to Steeda.

I don't want a free replacement. I've been helped by this forum a dozen times for information. Now I'm giving back a little with information of my own.

Steeda: why even warranty an underbody part and then refuse to honor it because a customer lives in a snowy place? Lifetime? Then your piece should easily last as long as the car it's connected to.
IMG_4669.jpeg

Come on! Look at that rusty stripe running down the length of the rocker area. The powder coat has all flaked off for crying out loud. If my Mustang was that rusty I couldn't pass inspection.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Oh man did I, in a different thread. They were bad in year 2, but by year 5 just crumbling.

But that thread was about something different, subframe bracing compatibility.

Since this is an actual Jacking Rail thread I'll just go ahead and quote myself here:
Looks like the main issue is the steel quality itself. Definitely not galvanized, so if the powdercoat fails, then it's game over in short order. The OEM tub is much higher quality in comparison, which is why it's not showing any problems. Reminds me of American cars from 25 years ago, haha. Fenders and rockers would just self delete like that. On newer cars it's mostly the stamped steel suspension parts that rust out.

I'm not entirely sure that I'd be mad at Steeda for this, but they shouldn't pussyfoot around the crux of the issue, which is that these things are not meant for a harsh environment like NYS. Maybe they can make a version with better quality steel (or thick aluminum) at a higher price for those driving their cars year round, but the return on the investment probably isn't there (most people will just buy the cheaper version anyway). Would it have lasted longer if you used some sort of oil coating on a yearly basis? Obviously, but that's an unrealistic expectation to have of the customer. Unless they're going to add a disclaimer on the website page for this product that recommends that process for winter driven cars.

CR151S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP M6
I run these on my GT which gets a fair amount of time on jack and stands-

ZL1Addon Lift Pads

They’re not rails but I find they’re affordable and useful.
Sponsored