Steeda IRS Install Issues

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Got the stop the hop starter kit (IRS subframe braces, IRS bushing, IRS alignment sleeves) and some differential bushings from Steeda; ran into a few issues with the installs though.

1) with the IRS alignment sleeves, all but the driver front bolt were lined up perfectly. The bolt went up, but required alot of force, not sure if I stripped it or not. I tried to jack up the subframe more, but it didn't help. Didn't do the differential bushing install yet, figured I'd solve my subframe issue first.

2) after the IRS bushing and alignment sleeves, I noticed that the differential looks lopsided. Looking from the rear, it seems to be sagging on the driver side. Not sure if that's normal or not.

3) when installing the IRS braces, driver side went up with no issues. The passenger however, the bolt that goes into the front subframe would not line up no matter what I did. I loosened everything, but it wouldn't line up. I screwed it in a bit, but it seems to be at an angle. It seems to want to slide down more, but the cut outs on the brace aren't wide enough, so it gets caught on the bolts.

Any ideas on how to fix these issues would be much appreciated!
Sponsored

mushy78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just went through this exact thing this weekend. I however did strip the bolt hole on the front driver side. Thankfully I was able to run a tap and clean up the threads. I ended up just leaving that dowel out. It seems to be a pretty common thing as you'll see by digging through the forums here.

Not sure about the lopsided issue as my car isn't back on the ground yet.

thebaldlatino5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
I attempted to install the alignment kit on jackstands, and I had gotten the rear two in. Took them both out cause the fronts werent lining up. Gonna be attempting again soon now I gotta crowbar and a friend with a lift.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
When I installed the dowels, my subframe was pretty far off, so I had to loosen all four bolts and shift the entire thing. It was a giant pain in the balls to have to go to that extreme, but the subframe moved easily. I had it done in about two hours, including the subframe braces and bushing support brackets, on jack stands in my garage. I didn't attempt the differential bushings, because the install looked too painful.

With your issues, is there any gap between the frame rails and the IRS subframe? That's a pretty easy way to tell if things are FUBAR. With the issues you're seeing, you probably need to loosen all four bolts and shift the subframe. Just make sure that you keep a jack underneath of it.

JR

Sponsored

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Looking at this video: it looks like the differential just looks lopsided naturally :fingerscrossed:.

I emailed Steeda; waiting for a reply right now. I did my install on jackstands as well, definitely a pain with getting the subframe aligned, as well as that bottom clamp bushing. It was not aligned out of the factory so I had to basically take all 4 subframe bolts out, jack up the middle and have a friend help twist the frame into place (mine needed to rotate counter-clockwise from the view of laying down looking up). Still not sure why 3 of the 4 bolts would go up without a problem, but the 4th was not aligned all the way, maybe I'll try prying it like others have done.

For the passenger brace, I left the half-assed bolt in there for now (half in, possibly bending); didn't want any extra noises for now. Going to try to tap the thread, because it's definitely stripped.

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Just went through this exact thing this weekend. I however did strip the bolt hole on the front driver side. Thankfully I was able to run a tap and clean up the threads. I ended up just leaving that dowel out. It seems to be a pretty common thing as you'll see by digging through the forums here.

Not sure about the lopsided issue as my car isn't back on the ground yet.
What size tap did you use? I need to clean up the hole the subframe brace goes into on the bracket that has the big blue bolt as well as one of the 2 13mm holes on that same bracket

mushy78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What size tap did you use? I need to clean up the hole the subframe brace goes into on the bracket that has the big blue bolt as well as one of the 2 13mm holes on that same bracket
The big blue bolt holes was a 14-2.0, I think. Found it somewhere else here in the forum. Harbor Freight has a kit that has that tap in it. The unusual piece is that you won't be able to use the regular tap handle to get all the way up in that hole. A 3/8 - 12 point socket did the trick for me.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Where here to help - let us know how we can assist at 1800 950 0774!

TJ
Sponsored