Sponsored

Tips for installing steeda, bushings, irs brace, irs alignment bushings

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Going to try and tackle this tomorrow, have to pretty much get it done in a day. Any useful tips for installing this setup/parts? I just installed my steeda jacking rails so I'm good to go that way.

Do I need an alignment after installing the alignment bushings?

Thanks
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Any time the subframe is dropped, you should plan on doing an alignment. What parts did you get, specifically?

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
The steeda IRS support bushing, steeda IRS alignment bushings and Steeda IRS brace. I'm debating putting in the alignment bushings though

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I don't think I will install the alignment bushing. After reading about how annoying it is to get a proper alignment, or how expensive it is to get a proper one, I will not be installing the alignment bushings for now.

So just the IRS support bushings and IRS brace

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think I will install the alignment bushing. After reading about how annoying it is to get a proper alignment, or how expensive it is to get a proper one
The alignment bushing is the easiest part of the whole process! You have a $30,000 car, you can't be serious about welching on a $200 alignment. geezus, don't touch the IRS then. If you think the Ford factory bothered to align the IRS with any kind of accuracy, you're delusional.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
The alignment bushing is the easiest part of the whole process! You have a $30,000 car, you can't be serious about welching on a $200 alignment. geezus, don't touch the IRS then. If you think the Ford factory bothered to align the IRS with any kind of accuracy, you're delusional.
No I'm just going to wait until I do the shocks,springs, camber plates, and sway bars next summer. I should have explained that better. Easy there. Doing the support bushings and braces will be just fine for now

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
No I'm just going to wait until I do the shocks,springs, camber plates, and sway bars next summer. I should have explained that better. Easy there. Doing the support bushings and braces will be just fine for now
I don't think you fully understood the message above - if you do the bushing supports (which is what I think you have meant), you will have to do the rear wheel alignment anyway. If I remember correctly, at least two subframe (if not all 4 - sequentially) have to come out anyway - so why wouldn't you put alignment bushings in while they are out ??

And while rear alignment on this car is painful because camber / toe are change when you change the other one, it is a standard procedure that any shop with alignment rack can do. If you have enough patience and camber gauges / toe plates, you can do it at home...

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
if you drop the bolt and the bushing goes right in, like mine. no reason for a alignment.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
easy stuff on a lift.......pain in the ass on your back

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
So silly question probably. But I'm going to be using 4 jack stands. I just installed my steeda jacking rails. To me, they look a little short for having the car sit on 4 jacks then jack up the irs?

I'm just worried about the car tilting forward like I said because the rails don't seem very long while jacking up the rear IRS to support it. Or am I not putting any real lift on the IRS and more of just enough pressure to hold it in place?

Only vid I could find of someone installing the IRS support bushings on the ground the guy had the rear tires just sitting on wood but still had a jack on the irs. no jack stands so I'm a bit confused how he would lower the IRS with the rear tires sitting on blocks??

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
So silly question probably. But I'm going to be using 4 jack stands. I just installed my steeda jacking rails. To me, they look a little short for having the car sit on 4 jacks then jack up the irs?

I'm just worried about the car tilting forward like I said because the rails don't seem very long while jacking up the rear IRS to support it. Or am I not putting any real lift on the IRS and more of just enough pressure to hold it in place?

Only vid I could find of someone installing the IRS support bushings on the ground the guy had the rear tires just sitting on wood but still had a jack on the irs. no jack stands so I'm a bit confused how he would lower the IRS with the rear tires sitting on blocks??
more just holding it in place. Ive had my car on stands and using a floor jack more times then id like to admit, cleaning, wheel changes back and forth bi weekly for the drag pack, or adding a part, no jack rail and there is no damage. i lift center of the door. not sure what all the talk about how jack rails are a must have.. but i dont knock anyone for having them. youll jack the subframe up but its mainly supporting the weight not having to lift it enough to lift the car off the rear stands

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
more just holding it in place. Ive had my car on stands and using a floor jack more times then id like to admit, cleaning, wheel changes back and forth bi weekly for the drag pack, or adding a part, no jack rail and there is no damage. i lift center of the door. not sure what all the talk about how jack rails are a must have.. but i dont knock anyone for having them. youll jack the subframe up but its mainly supporting the weight not having to lift it enough to lift the car off the rear stands

OK good to know, thank you, that was my biggest hurdle for tomorrow. I put the jack under the center pot? or under the side I'm doing?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I recommend doing it one side at a time. In that case, you put the jack under the lower control arm on the side you are working on.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I did it on ramps in my driveway with minimal issues. Just loosen all four subframe bolts making sure to keep decent thread engagement, then remove one bolt at a time while you install the bushing supports. Rear ones are the most difficult, but it was still only a two beer job. Definitely install the alignment bushings.
Sponsored