State Inspections

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I know most of us are particular about people working on and jacking up our Mach 1. In Virginia you’re required to have your car inspected once a year at an inspection station, so you’re limited to who you take your car to. Do y’all use your local dealer or an independent shop? I dread going to the dealer to sit all day and I’m definitely not going to leave my car there. I.found a local shop that will do it by appointment and they have a huge window to watch them work on the car. My fear is them jacking the car incorrectly and messing up the pinch welds. What’s been your experience getting it inspected?
Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Why would they jack up the car?

Here in Texas they never jack it up.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My fear is them jacking the car incorrectly and messing up the pinch welds.
get over yourself. :) It's just another run of the mill Mustang.

cars have had pinch welds for 100 years and any shop that isn't run by a total moron knows how to use a modern lift.

That said, suss out the better shops in your area, which is?

I take mine to either the dealer (extended service contract for "free" HA!! inspections and oil changes) or my BP station a scant 5 min walk from my house because he's been working on my cars for 20 years, and as long as the Russian tire dude who doesn't know how to open his eyes and observe bright shiny centering rings on spindles isn't touching the car, the Merc/BMW certified shop run by an ex-Ford engineer does a credible job.

And to echo previous poster, an inspection doesn't generally require a close encounter with a lift.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I know most of us are particular about people working on and jacking up our Mach 1. In Virginia you’re required to have your car inspected once a year at an inspection station, so you’re limited to who you take your car to. Do y’all use your local dealer or an independent shop? I dread going to the dealer to sit all day and I’m definitely not going to leave my car there. I.found a local shop that will do it by appointment and they have a huge window to watch them work on the car. My fear is them jacking the car incorrectly and messing up the pinch welds. What’s been your experience getting it inspected?
I had mine done by the dealership I bought it at (Britt Ford of Fairfax) who gives lifetime inspections on cars bought new from them. They don't take appointments for inspections any more, but I checked ahead and was there at the start of their workday, and out with a new inspection sticker less than an hour later.

Update - and I have jacking rails on the car, so I already minimized the risk of damage to the pinch welds.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Option 1: purchase and install a set of jacking rails beforehand.

Option 2: as you hand the car over, express your concern and let them know you'd like to be there, when/if they need to raise the car, while still maintaining a respectful distance; they should understand.

Some states will lift the car for safety reasons, to review the suspension, check for exhaust and fluid leaks, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
get over yourself. :) It's just another run of the mill Mustang.

cars have had pinch welds for 100 years and any shop that isn't run by a total moron knows how to use a modern lift.

That said, suss out the better shops in your area, which is?

I take mine to either the dealer (extended service contract for "free" HA!! inspections and oil changes) or my BP station a scant 5 min walk from my house because he's been working on my cars for 20 years, and as long as the Russian tire dude who doesn't know how to open his eyes and observe bright shiny centering rings on spindles isn't touching the car, the Merc/BMW certified shop run by an ex-Ford engineer does a credible job.

And to echo previous poster, an inspection doesn't generally require a close encounter with a lift.
In Virginia the inspector has to check exhaust, suspension, brakes etc. You have to lift the car to check wheel bearings.
https://vsp.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Motor-Vehicle-Safety-Inspection-Manual-2021.pdf
I have read posts on here of morons damaging pinch welds, an unfortunately you may not know if the guy in the shop is a moron. Sounds like you have a great shop to work on your Mustang.
And I definitely don’t consider my Mach 1 just another run of the mill Mustang.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Find one that has a 4 post lift.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It makes me sad that some states waste your money and tax $ on BS like inspecting new cars.
Fixed it for ya, glad I live in a free State.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
In Virginia the inspector has to check exhaust, suspension, brakes etc. You have to lift the car to check wheel bearings.
That sounds unnecessary. This is how we have it on mandatory technical inspection. Owner is present and can check under the car too which is nice.

1984261-2985.jpg

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What's this irrational fear of pinch weld damage and notion that it only happens to Mustangs (or specifically Mach 1s) ? Likely because someone needs to sell jacking rails....

Just about any unibody car out there is being lifted using pinch welds and they're fine.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
having had cars with flattened pinch weld /sills folded flat yes it is a real fear for sure. In the UK, anything over three years has yearly inspections and underbody damage happens.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Jacking rails will give people like me greater options when lifting the car or using jack stands; I can now safely place lift devices anywhere along the rail. Protecting the pinch welds (keeping things nice) is an additional benefit but not the prime motivation.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That sounds unnecessary. This is how we have it on mandatory technical inspection. Owner is present and can check under the car too which is nice.

1984261-2985.jpg
How often do your cars need to be inspected? Is this also for new cars or just older cars?