Shelby GT350 MYSTERY

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
The sill plates also have Ford Performance on them.
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Velocity Blue

They are MMD covers I purchased from American Muscle - which no longer carries them.
But I saw this vendor on eBay that says he can do any year/strut. I also see he can do the pony, cobra, GT350 and various coyote options. Might be worth contacting him to assure he can provide the fit and logo you seek.

What I like about them is the cover the entire top of strut tower and simply pop on / off for access. The are notched for the cables on the pax side. However I do not think they will align with the various aftermarket Master Cylinder covers out there, due to their size.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2020-...114258976839?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
thanks!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Understood.:thumbsup:

Can tell you that we might have crossed paths over the years as I enjoyed being at Westwood in the very early 70's a lot along with attending a lot of races at Mission at that same time and ran a 340 Duster in the mid 80's at Mission.

Also did a lot of auto crossing in the PNW during the 80's as well.

:)
Were you there for this?

Peter Gregg in Brumos Porsche 1977 at Westwood Cropped.jpg

Yes, that's Peter Gregg. I don't have any pictures from the Gilles Villeneuve Formula Ford race, though. That was another good one.

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Were you there for this?

Peter Gregg in Brumos Porsche 1977 at Westwood Cropped.jpg

Yes, that's Peter Gregg. I don't have any pictures from the Gilles Villeneuve Formula Ford race, though. That was another good one.
Great picture but I don't recall being at that race and suggest this was around ~1977 and think that Jacques Villeneuve and Michael Andretti showed up some years later at Westwood but in any event a great track with lots of cool history for the Greater Vancouver area and for Canada in general.

Thanks for posting as brought back a lot of great memories!

:like::like:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Great picture but I don't recall being at that race and suggest this was around ~1977 and think that Jacques Villeneuve and Michael Andretti showed up some years later at Westwood but in any event a great track with lots of cool history for the Greater Vancouver area and for Canada in general.

Thanks for posting as brought back a lot of great memories!

:like::like:
I took that picture from the infield where the path got close to the track by the esses up the hill from the hairpin. I don't know what year that was - I thought it might have been earlier than 1977, but I have no way to confirm that. I was there to crew for my buddy Rob in his Cortina, but the engine went so I spent the rest of the day wandering around with my camera. The Gilles Villeneuve Formula Ford event was the first time I'd ever seen a race driver that didn't work on the car. Gilles' job was to drive, and that's all he did. I'd been hanging around with the club racers that did their own work, so this was truly exotic. He DNF'd on the race from car problems, and he wasn't particularly fast either. In the practice he was good but not the best and in the race, the locals were in the lead when he retired to the pits. It was a big surprise when he turned up in Formula 1 a year or two later.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I took that picture from the infield where the path got close to the track by the esses up the hill from the hairpin. I don't know what year that was - I thought it might have been earlier than 1977, but I have no way to confirm that. I was there to crew for my buddy Rob in his Cortina, but the engine went so I spent the rest of the day wandering around with my camera. The Gilles Villeneuve Formula Ford event was the first time I'd ever seen a race driver that didn't work on the car. Gilles' job was to drive, and that's all he did. I'd been hanging around with the club racers that did their own work, so this was truly exotic. He DNF'd on the race from car problems, and he wasn't particularly fast either. In the practice he was good but not the best and in the race, the locals were in the lead when he retired to the pits. It was a big surprise when he turned up in Formula 1 a year or two later.
Great stuff with not many people having the experiences that you had back in the day.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

As you know Gilles was a very aggressive driver and in his early days he actually started out with a 1st generation Mustang that he took drag racing and then moved over to road course driving sometime after that.

Really nice to see that Gilles enjoyed Mustangs early on just like the rest of us regular mortals!

His brother Jacques was also a pretty accomplished road course driver and of course Gilles' son Jacques won the Formula One Championship in only his second year and had the most wins by any rookie ever just the year before and prior to that he had already won the Indy 500.

Of course with all that tremendous success early on Jacques Jr. became a Canadian legend.:clap::clap:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Great link that explains the use of Shelby, Cobra, Mustang name

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/history-shelby-mustang
Thanks for posting but whoever issued this article needs an education on the first generation GT350/GT500 Shelby's and certainly needs to correct a great deal facts and figures based on these early cars as I had to stop reading once I got to the 1968 MY based on so many glaring errors.

Just as an example of what I am talking about take a look at the picture of the 3 cars shown for 1968 and really had to chuckle at the picture of the Lime Gold GT500 shown.:facepalm:

I am sure that you can figure out the rest for yourself.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks for posting but whoever issued this article needs an education on the first generation GT350/GT500 Shelby's and certainly needs to correct a great deal facts and figures based on these early cars as I had to stop reading once I got to the 1968 MY based on so many glaring errors.

Just as an example of what I am talking about take a look at the picture of the 3 cars shown for 1968 and really had to chuckle at the picture of the Lime Gold GT500 shown.:facepalm:

I am sure that you can figure out the rest for yourself.

Why not send them the corrections or at least call out the errors? I am sure they would appreciate it, as would the countless enthusiasts who rely on that site for basic info.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Why not send them the corrections or at least call out the errors? I am sure they would appreciate it, as would the countless enthusiasts who rely on that site for basic info.
Appreciate your suggestion and have offered to do that in the past with other publications but unfortunately some of them continue to suggest that their information is correct therefore have no intentions of going down that road again as have much better things to do with my time.

I am sure that when you looked at the three 1968 GT500 cars shown and in particular the middle car that you noticed their blatant error?

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Appreciate your suggestion and have offered to do that in the past with other publications but unfortunately some of them continue to suggest that their information is correct therefore have no intentions of going down that road again as have much better things to do with my time.

I am sure that when you looked at the three 1968 GT500 cars shown and in particular the middle car that you noticed their blatant error?
Actually, didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Was focused more on naming conventions previous to that. Will contact them and gauge their response.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Actually, didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Was focused more on naming conventions previous to that. Will contact them and gauge their response.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Won't get into a lot of other incorrect details that they listed but when you make contact with this firm maybe mention to them that out of the 4,841 GT500's produced for 1967 and 1968 only two regular production cars were produced with the 427 CID medium-riser engine otherwise the other 4,839 cars came with two different variations of the 428 CID engine.

A 3rd GT500 was produced with a 427 CID engine and that was the 1967 GT500 Super Snake that was equipped with a 427 CID GT40 MK II engine but was not by any means a regular production vehicle.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Won't get into a lot of other incorrect details that they listed but when you make contact with this firm maybe mention to them that out of the 4,841 GT500's produced for 1967 and 1968 only two regular production cars were produced with the 427 CID medium-riser engine otherwise the other 4,839 cars came with two different variations of the 428 CID engine.

A 3rd GT500 was produced with a 427 CID engine and that was the 1967 GT500 Super Snake that was equipped with a 427 CID GT40 MK II engine but was not by any means a regular production vehicle.
Will do. Where did the round (vice rectangular) fog lights come from on the 68 GT500 they have on their site?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Will do. Where did the round (vice rectangular) fog lights come from on the 68 GT500 they have on their site?

If you are talking about the middle Lime Gold GT500 vehicle of the 3 1968 GT500's pictured that is in fact a 1967 GT500 that came equipped with outboard high beam head lights and not a 1968 GT500 as listed..

Most of the early 1967 GT500's came with inboard high beam head lights until they were outlawed by the various DMV's in many States (but not all) as being illegal therefore most of the later cars had to be equipped with outboard high beam headlights in order to be legal in certain States.

Hope that answers your question.

Sponsored