Sponsored

Sport Mode Question...Is this Normal?

JGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
While I love the throttle response and shifting of Sport mode when taking off from a light, I have found it to be unusable in stop and go traffic, or even slowing down at a stop light. The car revs and lurches with excessive engine braking and generally makes it look like I don't know how to drive. Is this normal??? It seems like I should be able to enjoy the throttle response without the poor driveability. I have found I end up shifting back in to D once I've reached cruising speed after leaving a light. Anyone else experience something similar or is something wrong with the car?
Sponsored

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Yes, this is how mine behaves in my base GT and using the Sport shift selection. I cannot speak as to if it behaves the same when using the Sport toggle switch in a premium equipped car and leave it in D.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
While I love the throttle response and shifting of Sport mode when taking off from a light, I have found it to be unusable in stop and go traffic, or even slowing down at a stop light. The car revs and lurches with excessive engine braking and generally makes it look like I don't know how to drive. Is this normal??? It seems like I should be able to enjoy the throttle response without the poor driveability. I have found I end up shifting back in to D once I've reached cruising speed after leaving a light. Anyone else experience something similar or is something wrong with the car?

Until you get a Lund tune to tame beast mode, I'm afraid it's the norm.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
yes.

If you're in stop & go, don't use Sport mode. :doh:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Normal mode already has an aggressive delivery (positive exponential torque output to torque demand). Sport just amplifies that and makes it very non-linear. That, combined with the auto trans calibration in your case, makes for a difficult drive in stop-go.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did that, and it's even jumpier with pedal max installed but weirdly now at just over 10,000 miles it seems to have smoothed out and now I can pretty much drive all the time in sport mode if I wish but I still just use it to get the jump on whatever I am doing and then it is back into normal most of the time.

TC :ford:

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
10/10 can confirm this is normal pre-tune.

Source: broken neck

OP
OP

JGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Glad to hear it's normal. I'm actually installing a PP2 soon, so hopefully that gives me the fun of sport mode in normal mode without all the other baggage.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The car redlines every gear in sport mode. . a blast

VNTGSPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I agree with what others have said but have one thing to add...

I have found that Track Mode is a more intelligent version of Sport mode. If cruising it is more relaxed like you are driving through the paddock and the downshifts are more muted. When you get on it shifts aggressively and holds a gear longer. It also doesn't upset the chassis like Sport mode does when you are mid corner and get on it.

Sport and Sport+ are the boy-racer modes. :D

Also, the paddles are the way to go in stop/go traffic. I can usually leave it in 2nd and stay off the brakes. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Normal mode already has an aggressive delivery (positive exponential torque output to torque demand). Sport just amplifies that and makes it very non-linear. That, combined with the auto trans calibration in your case, makes for a difficult drive in stop-go.
IMO, normal mode is not very aggressive at all, but very mild in the way it shifts.
In normal driving, Sport+ mode hangs in the gears too long and doesn't downshift soon enough.
I like the aggressive low speed downshifting characteristics in Sport+ mode.
It requires a little thoughtful throttle modulation and reading the traffic ahead to not come to a stop three car lengths before you want to.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, normal mode is not very aggressive at all, but very mild in the way it shifts.
In normal driving, Sport+ mode hangs in the gears too long and doesn't downshift soon enough.
I like the aggressive low speed downshifting characteristics in Sport+ mode.
It requires a little thoughtful throttle modulation and reading the traffic ahead to not come to a stop three car lengths before you want to.
Shifting =/= torque delivery.

Agreed that the normal mode trans calibration is very mild and smooth, but the actual output of the engine is non-linear to its inputs (i.e. it gives 35-40% torque when 25% is commanded).

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I only drive in Track mode and Sport steering. I spent 12-years unconsciously turning off the traction control on each start in my 05 GT. At 1200-miles, I am still teaching my back-brain to unconsciously hit that toggle three times right after start in my 17... I have a manual.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I only drive in Track mode and Sport steering. I spent 12-years unconsciously turning off the traction control on each start in my 05 GT. At 1200-miles, I am still teaching my back-brain to unconsciously hit that toggle three times right after start in my 17... I have a manual.
Three times? Out of curiosity, does it turn off AdvanceTrac like you would by holding the toggle switch for a few seconds?
Sponsored