Question re Sport vs Sport + mode

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Track mode is my favorite. S+ has harder downshifts but track mode has faster upshifts.

I don’t know that D or S has any effect when a drove mode is selected if the paddles are not touched. I can tell zero difference.
I can definitely tell a difference between D and S when not engaging the paddles. The gears sprint to 10th gear in D to the point where you really have to nail the pedal to keep it in the lower gears. It holds the RPM's higher for much longer in S. The only problem is on mine the gear shifts are quite jarring in all but Normal mode when not using the paddles. In S and using the paddles it's better it seems like. I'm planning to take it in and see if a software update will help with the hard shifts. Mine is an early 2018 built in October of 17.
Sponsored

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
The “S+” Drive mode is outlined in the attached Ford doc above - it changes throttle mapping, exhaust tone (if equipped with AE), suspension response (if equipped with MR) and lastly, steering response (defaults to “Sport” steering).

When in Drive Mode S+, the throttle mapping also includes the extended shift points in the RPM band - shifts are more pronounced in auto and when manually using the paddle shifters (regardless if Trans mode selected is D or S).

Separate the Trans Mode from the Drive Mode.

Drive Modes via center stack toggles = engine performance.

Trans Modes (D and S) = transmission performance.

When putting the Trans into “S” - all that essentially does is it extends the RPM range if NOT manually shifting. Once the Driver hits a paddle, it puts the Trans into full manual mode. Once that paddle is touched when in Trans Mode S, the Trans will NOT upshift at all until the user hits the paddle again. Yes you can redline the engine in Trans Mode S IF you had touched a paddle and did not hit the paddle again, because the Trans will not upshift after it gets the signal the Driver touched the paddle switch.

If the Trans were in D, the RPM shift points are smoother & shorter (optimized for mpg). If the user did exactly as noted above by hitting a paddle, the Trans would still AUTO upshift if the user did not touch the paddle again. When in Trans Mode D, the software logic is still in control, even after the driver hits a paddle - you cannot redline in Trans Mode D because the Trans will still auto-shift itself based on the preprogrammed logic.

Simply put:
Trans Mode D = shorter “auto” shift points based on MPH and RPM; allows user to manually shift but Trans logic still takes over.

Trans Mode S = longer “auto” shift points based on MPH and RPM; allows user to have full manual control of the transmission when using paddles - Trans logic will not “auto upshift” after a paddle was touched. However do note, it will auto-downshift based on MPH and RPM (ie: coming to a stop).
Thanks, CobraJet. I'm waiting for the new A10 2021 Mach 1 and this will be very helpful. (In case anyone is interested, I will be putting my low mileage, manual 2015 GT Premium w/50th APP, with added Ford Performance Power Pack 2, up for sale in the spring.)

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
Thanks to all for clarifying. Wish the dealer spent as much time explaining all this as they did harassing me to sign up for FordPass.

Martin Schacht

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1/Power Pack 2
Really good stuff....thanks for taking the time to bring many of us up to speed. I sort of figured some of it out at 3 separate track days....but now I can hardly wait too get back to the track and work it. I have only been a member of Mustang 6g for about 3 months: This post was the most consistent and informative.

Martin Schacht

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1/Power Pack 2
Thanks to all for clarifying. Wish the dealer spent as much time explaining all this as they did harassing me to sign up for FordPass.
My San Diego dealer, "Internet sales", Clairemont Ford, told me squat about the various modes, but hinted there was a full manual mode. He responded to my email questions in a heart beat, but post sale...."crickets". Subsequently I took the car in to Paso Robles Ford, a whole new experience.
Sponsored