Sponsored

Speed Phenom is selling his GT500 CFTP...

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
At the end of the day it’s his car, well maybe his dads car, but still he can do what he wants with it.
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Holy smoke, Don! DOUBLE OUCH!

One has to REALLY love the track for that kind of expense.
It is addictive....
These costs are one reason why the SCCA’s “Track Night in America” events sell out: They are a really good deal....

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
The kid is smart, his video was a CFTP Gt500 marketing video, I’ll bet it sells fast.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I can understand the expense part can be a little surprising and it does add up quick...but he has 3 track cars right?? He knew this was coming with the added weight and power. I mean I came home from my last track day thinking about miatas and C5s.

Unfortunately, the video did exactly what he wanted, as we are all here talking about it lol.
I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even with the black base + handling car he seemed to be surprised about the fuel consumption. Given that he’s had experience tracking a Super Snake and a GT350R, I don’t think he came into it not expecting high fuel cost. It just seems it is incrementally higher than his other cars and he doesn’t like the comparative result. The small fuel tank is no doubt a factor, but he’s had three prior cars with the same size tank. For some reason this one sticks out.

Similar with the tire thing. He’s gotta know that track day = beat on the tires and brakes. It’s not his first rodeo. But he seems to be disappointed at how much more the CFTP beats up the Cup 2 compared to the GT350R or the C8, which he has also had on Cup 2. That one he shoulda seen coming, given the difference in front end mass of the CFTP over the GT350R and the C8. It‘s gonna work the tires harder than those other cars. Physics will not be denied. He didn’t complain about tire wear on the base car. The base GT500 was on PS4S, so probably not as much evident wear as the Cup 2 on the CFTP.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The bottom line is the young man makes money from youtube videos. I thought it was way too much talking for this particular one, but I bet you there is someone watching the same video that has already contacted him about buying the car. It's a for sale video, so yep it is to be expected that he would spend more time harping on how great the car is and then throw in a couple of dislikes. A prospective buyer already knows about those two dislikes he talked about...tires and gas consumption....whom we all know that anyone looking to buy the car would quickly not consider those as disadvantages. Now, why is he really selling the car......who knows or really cares unless you would like to continue to contribute by watching his videos and allowing him to make more money to buy any car he wants.....don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The bottom line is the young man makes money from youtube videos. I thought it was way too much talking for this particular one, but I bet you there is someone watching the same video that has already contacted him about buying the car. It's a for sale video, so yep it is to be expected that he would spend more time harping on how great the car is and then throw in a couple of dislikes. A prospective buyer already knows about those two dislikes he talked about...tires and gas consumption....whom we all know that anyone looking to buy the car would quickly not consider those as disadvantages. Now, why is he really selling the car......who knows or really cares unless you would like to continue to contribute by watching his videos and allowing him to make more money to buy any car he wants.....don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that either.
He did recently do a video review of the Hummer EV and stated that he has placed an order for one. Sell the $117k CFTP —> buy the $112k Hummer EV?

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
What is wrong with people making money for content?

I think the simple answer is he did not like the car "enough" for the expense. It seems like people start tracking go for the power and eventually start thinking about weight and consumables. My track friends in civics use a tank a day :cwl: :cwl:
lol that would be nice!

i have no problem with him making money. i wasn't exactly clear in my post, but was more so saying it was 'unfortunate' because if these guys aren't dramatic in their video titles then i guess they don't get clicks.

i would be zero surprised if the next video was about a 'change of heart'.

and like mentioned by @martinjlm i also wouldn't be surprised by another toy for new content

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even with the black base + handling car he seemed to be surprised about the fuel consumption. Given that he’s had experience tracking a Super Snake and a GT350R, I don’t think he came into it not expecting high fuel cost. It just seems it is incrementally higher than his other cars and he doesn’t like the comparative result. The small fuel tank is no doubt a factor, but he’s had three prior cars with the same size tank. For some reason this one sticks out.

Similar with the tire thing. He’s gotta know that track day = beat on the tires and brakes. It’s not his first rodeo. But he seems to be disappointed at how much more the CFTP beats up the Cup 2 compared to the GT350R or the C8, which he has also had on Cup 2. That one he shoulda seen coming, given the difference in front end mass of the CFTP over the GT350R and the C8. It‘s gonna work the tires harder than those other cars. Physics will not be denied. He didn’t complain about tire wear on the base car. The base GT500 was on PS4S, so probably not as much evident wear as the Cup 2 on the CFTP.
i suppose he could've just hit his acceptable limit, i just would've liked to see him try another tire, make adjustments, etc...before making a somewhat whiny video about a car he's been oohing and ahhing over for months. and you're right, physics is gonna win every time.

edit: couldn't get the multi-quote to work...please forgive :)

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Not going to blast Speed Phenom very much here but I unsubscribed from his channel when he flew to Kentucky to pickup the C8 right in the middle of the recommended no travel in the fairly early days of the pandemic. Just thought it was reckless so I voted with my unsubscribe. It was obvious his dad was with him.

I don't know the young man. He does nice video's. I will say there is no way he is buying these cars out of his own pocket. Supposedly a graphic designer and he owns a GT350R, C8 and has gone through 2 GT500's? These are daddy's cars for sure (and good for him honestly and YES I'M JEALOUS).

From his video's he seems to be a competent driver on the track and probably much better than that.

YouTube is what it is and he is making money with these video's . Good for him. Certainly not enough money to buy these cars BTW.

Consumables on a track weekend are what they are as well. You do have to pay to play. I plan on tracking the GT500 CFTP but my guess is the Boss 302 will be my normal track duty car just for the cost of the consumables.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'm pretty sure these YT'ers that buy cars get to write them off as an expense against the income they're earning on their tax returns.

The car is just the tool they use to earn income from YT videos. Any expense that's incurred in earning that same income can be written off. That's how it generally works in the tax system and I'd be surprised if it isn't the same here.

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
I'm pretty sure these YT'ers that buy cars get to write them off as an expense against the income they're earning on their tax returns.

The car is just the tool they use to earn income from YT videos. Any expense that's incurred in earning that same income can be written off. That's how it generally works in the tax system and I'd be surprised if it isn't the same here.
Touche. This is how all of the major car related YT channels work (TJ Hunt, Adam LZ etc etc).

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
In the process of ordering my GT500 - and traded in my C7 Z06 on it. I can tell you the Z06 was a full tank a session @ 650 HP and 1000# lighter. Like people have said many times - high HP numbers come from big gas usage... period.

I also ate through the MPSS on it in 3 track weekends (9 days 4-5 sessions a day).
Never mind brake pads, fluids, and all the other expenses that were previously posted.

What's interesting is - as a watcher of his channel for the GT500 content as I was "shopping" - he REALLY seemed to like the "base" - like even more... and spent most of the time with the Base saying how the CFTP had to be so much better... The video where he took delivery and drove the CFTP home - worrying about the 10K paint stripes... and even the first session on the track - he just didn't seem to have the same excitement he did with the Base. There's even some video where he's trying launch control on the CFTP on a side street and keeps saying the base hooked up better.

I think he was expecting the CFTP to make the car be a completly different car - and not just add some stiffer springs, a seat delete a wing and tires... which is really all it is... I think he would have been way happier staying with the Base handling pack. Every one of those videos he's loving the car.

I also can't figure out - in the world of "spews for views" - why he wouldnt keep the GT500 CFTP and do a whole series on tires and stuff to make it track worthy... drag race it... it's a GT500 doing things and not sitting in a garage... people would watch and he would generate revenue. As everyone says - there REALLY seems to be more to this story... And I find it very interesting that this was a whole week after the McLaren rep showed up in a video with a blue McLaren and they drove the 2 cars up the mountain... I'm thinking there was somethign discussed there... But I'm only an observer.

I dunno - I figure I'm realistically probably giving back a couple of seconds a lap by moving from the C7 to the GT500... but I'm gaining an absloutely iconic car - and a lot slower depreciation. And - if it keeps me from the track as much - it will actually save me money :)

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
In the process of ordering my GT500 - and traded in my C7 Z06 on it. I can tell you the Z06 was a full tank a session @ 650 HP and 1000# lighter. Like people have said many times - high HP numbers come from big gas usage... period.

I also ate through the MPSS on it in 3 track weekends (9 days 4-5 sessions a day).
Never mind brake pads, fluids, and all the other expenses that were previously posted.

What's interesting is - as a watcher of his channel for the GT500 content as I was "shopping" - he REALLY seemed to like the "base" - like even more... and spent most of the time with the Base saying how the CFTP had to be so much better... The video where he took delivery and drove the CFTP home - worrying about the 10K paint stripes... and even the first session on the track - he just didn't seem to have the same excitement he did with the Base. There's even some video where he's trying launch control on the CFTP on a side street and keeps saying the base hooked up better.

I think he was expecting the CFTP to make the car be a completly different car - and not just add some stiffer springs, a seat delete a wing and tires... which is really all it is... I think he would have been way happier staying with the Base handling pack. Every one of those videos he's loving the car.

I also can't figure out - in the world of "spews for views" - why he wouldnt keep the GT500 CFTP and do a whole series on tires and stuff to make it track worthy... drag race it... it's a GT500 doing things and not sitting in a garage... people would watch and he would generate revenue. As everyone says - there REALLY seems to be more to this story... And I find it very interesting that this was a whole week after the McLaren rep showed up in a video with a blue McLaren and they drove the 2 cars up the mountain... I'm thinking there was somethign discussed there... But I'm only an observer.

I dunno - I figure I'm realistically probably giving back a couple of seconds a lap by moving from the C7 to the GT500... but I'm gaining an absloutely iconic car - and a lot slower depreciation. And - if it keeps me from the track as much - it will actually save me money :)
I watched the video I think what happened is his initial videos were with the SC2 new (peak grip) over time they got past the peak and he had no grip to launch and no grip in his later track video. I have had the same thing happen on the GT350(with the GT350R SC tire) after the peak you see your lap time increase but the car is still easily controllable since the car is lighter and has MUCH less torque . Its possible the peak on the GT500 compound is much peakier.

You might have a point he may of expected on some level a much bigger gap between the base and the CFTP model.

Listening to his track impression of the GT500 vs C8 it sounds like after the tires are gone the weight and power levels in the GT500 become very apparent making it sketchy(im reading between the lines of his comments)

Last edited:

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
This is funny.

Kid buys 4,000+ lb high powered supercar and complains about tire usage and expense.

I run a 305 Square SC2 set up and lucky if I get 2 track days out of them. Current weight is ~3750 on a full tank. I'm about to mount up my third set soon and this was a light season lol.

As @DonnieO says: "Gotta Pay to Play"
Sponsored