Sponsored

Speed Phenom is selling his GT500 CFTP...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Consumables add up quickly if you track alot, not to mention require time/money to install. Assume 20 track days per year for 5 yrs. If tires last 2-3 days (I had 3 max on my R), that's 7-10 sets over that period or $14k-$20k vs 2-3 sets lighter car at $4-6k (delta per year of $10k-$14k). Track the car for 5 yrs that's $50k-$70k difference. This is before even taking in all in costs of ownership (e.g depreciation, resale value over time). And that's not even factoring other issues. Example: in two years with my GT350R I grenaded two engines (kudos to Ford btw, for making me money good and standing by their product!..couldn't imagine the financial damage of two engines if no warranty) had to get towed from the track, get rides, take to dealer multiple times, blown coolant hoses, coolant spilled on track, clean up damage etc. In 4 months with a Porsche (or even prior M3) I got more value add than 2 years with the 350R. It seems like the GT500 is more robust (engine wise due to the CPC, notwithstanding other QC issues), but it doesn't seem to really have a solid warranty and for a track rat if doing more than 5-8 days per year, might not be the optimal choice when factoring in consumables and opportunity cost of time. For SP, a vette might be more up his alley as won't be as hard on consumables, time invested, etc to maximize amount of track time and minimize time/effort spent with tires, carrying extra sets of tires to track for multiple day events, fueling up after every session, have fully warranty backing, etc.
Do you perform all your own maintenence?
Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Do you perform all your own maintenence?
No..have done some in the past, but is getting less and less... Getting it done quickly with minimal downtime between track days is the goal these days for me personally ;)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No..have done some in the past, but is getting less and less... Getting it done quickly with minimal downtime between track days is the goal these days for me personally ;)
Thank you for your honesty. Yes, that kind of money adds up quick.

Wait until SP gets his Mclaren and has to pay someone else do do all his work for him.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your honesty. Yes, that kind of money adds up quick.

Wait until SP gets his Mclaren and has to pay someone else do do all his work for him.
If he is getting a Mclaren (didn't know he was), I agree the cost of tire/consumables is going to be the least of his issues. Maintenance costs are higher vs Ferrari.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Consumables add up quickly if you track alot, not to mention require time/money to install. Assume 20 track days per year for 5 yrs. If tires last 2-3 days (I had 3 max on my R), that's 7-10 sets per year or $14k-$20k vs 2-3 sets lighter car at $4-6k (delta per year of $10k-$14k). Track the car for 5 yrs that's a $50k-$70k difference. This is before even taking in all in costs of ownership (e.g depreciation, resale value over time). And that's not even factoring other potential issues. Example: in two years with my GT350R I grenaded two engines (kudos to Ford btw, for making me money good and standing by their product!..couldn't imagine the financial damage of two engines if no warranty) had to get towed from the track, get rides, take to dealer multiple times, blown coolant hoses, coolant spilled on track, clean up damage etc. In 4 months with a Porsche (or even prior M3) I got more value add than 2 years with the 350R. It seems like the GT500 is more robust (engine wise due to the CPC, notwithstanding other QC issues), but it doesn't seem to really have a solid warranty (unlike the 350R of yrs past) and for a track rat if doing more than 5-8 days per year, might not be the optimal choice when factoring in consumables and opportunity cost of time. For SP, a vette might be more up his alley as won't be as hard on consumables, time invested, etc to maximize amount of track time and minimize time/effort spent with tires, carrying extra sets of tires to track for multiple day events, fueling up after every session, have full/unconditional warranty backing, etc.
Do you have .1 or .2 RS? Those come with a standard 10 year warranty correct? Or was that just the problematic .1 GT3?

Last edited:

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have .1 or .2 RS? Those come with a standard 10 year warranty correct? Or was that just the problematic .1 GT3?
.1 RS, which was NOT part of the 10 yr warranty on the .1 GT3 (due to the finger follower problems). I did get an extended warranty for another 5 yrs (beyond the 4 that comes with car).
Sponsored

Last edited: