Speaker install gone wrong...help!!!

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
So I spent the weekend upgrading my 12 speaker Shaker Pro system. I put in new speakers for every location except the factory tweeters and flattened the EQ with FORScan. After riding around for a few days, I decided there was too much brightness with the factory tweeters intact so I reached in and disconnected them.

Shortly after, I took a ride and during the ride the left side door speakers started crackling and then went out. Initially I thought it was just the 3.5 in the door because I could still hear low end. I pulled the driver side door back off and played around with the 3.5 connections. It would crackle if I turned the volume up beyond 5 and sound terrible. I then swapped out that specific speaker, but the problem remained.

I retraced my steps and decided to reach into the a-pillar again and low and behold, unlike the passenger side, when I disconnected the tweeter on the driver side I actually had pulled the pins out of the harness entirely. They were contacting each other and causing the entire left side to go out.

I wrapped the pins in electrical tape and secured them in the a-pillar. I then tested the sound and everything was back to normal. I put the door back on and found that it STILL is giving no sound out of the driver side. Not only that, but even the center channel is virtually non-existent. If I fade to the rear, I can hear the rear left side panel a little, but basically the whole left side is without sound.

At this point, I am at a loss. I can only think it could be a few different things still causing this, but I need some guidance.

1) the amp is now messed up due to the wires making contact repeatedly in the a-pillar.

2) one of the other door speakers is somehow making contact with the metal of the door and causing the whole side to go out

3) ???

Anyone have any suggestions for what I should check and try out to fix this? I'm now hundreds deep into this system and the left side is basically silent. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

dgreene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
What modifications did you make with Forscan. Did you undo those? Just a thought. But it does sound like something shorted. Maybe take apart the amp and look for shorts

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I did remove ANC and flattened the EQ in FORScan, as well as Bambi mode for high beams and fogs at the same time. I did these a couple of days prior to the issue, so I don't see those being the cause.

How would I be able to tell if there are shorts in the amp?

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
First, read the DTC codes in Forscan to see if the amp went into protection or a code is stored. If there are codes, clear them and see if it fixes the issue

dgreene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
First, read the DTC codes in Forscan to see if the amp went into protection or a code is stored. If there are codes, clear them and see if it fixes the issue
Great Point!

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I highly suggest clipping the wire to the center speaker in the mustang console speaker. that fixed the overly bright music for myself. hope you resolve it.

OP
OP

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Solved! @dgreene was super helpful. He and I spent some time talking on the phone and he helped me figure it out. For the 3.5 Infinity Reference speakers, I needed to put 3 metal washers wrapped in electrical tape between the speaker mount and the speaker itself to give it more clearance from the door. I also secured all the wires and wrapped everything in electrical tape to make sure nothing contacts anything else.

wht67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
gone
Vehicle Showcase
Solved! @dgreene was super helpful. He and I spent some time talking on the phone and he helped me figure it out. For the 3.5 Infinity Reference speakers, I needed to put 3 metal washers wrapped in electrical tape between the speaker mount and the speaker itself to give it more clearance from the door. I also secured all the wires and wrapped everything in electrical tape to make sure nothing contacts anything else.
Any pictures? I have Infinity speakers I am planning to install.