Sponsored

FIXED! Help. Installed mids - 9 speaker- no sound!

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
2021 - 9 speaker Sync 3.

I was tracking on a recent post where an OP disconnected tweets, center speaker and installed Infinity REF3032 for the mids.
Instead of the Infinity speakers I purchased Hertz DCX87.3, 4 ohm, 92 dB, 30W RMS.

I recognize the system is 8 ohm, but after hooking it up (noting polarity) I have absolutely NO sound coming from the new mids. I hear a slight "pop" when they are plugged in (when the car is off?)

What went wrong here? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
2021 - 9 speaker Sync 3.

I was tracking on a recent post where an OP disconnected tweets, center speaker and installed Infinity REF3032 for the mids.
Instead of the Infinity speakers I purchased Hertz DCX87.3, 4 ohm, 92 dB, 30W RMS.

I recognize the system is 8 ohm, but after hooking it up (noting polarity) I have absolutely NO sound coming from the new mids. I hear a slight "pop" when they are plugged in (when the car is off?)

What went wrong here? Any help is appreciated.
Did you disconnect the battery before you did the speaker change?
If you didn't, you may have put the amp into a protection mode. Disconnect the battery and re-connect after a few minutes to reset it. Or pull the brown plug at the amp above the drivers kick panel or the fuse at the passenger kick panel.

Also:
Check your connections?

Check for any shorts?

Did you make sure the speaker terminals are not touching the sheet metal?

It could be any number of things.

OP
OP
DrZed

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Friends. I feel really silly and first wanted to just delete this post.
But for the benefits of others.

when I bolted in the bracket the back speaker connections were shorting out on the door and the speaker shut Down! Bending the terminals away solved it.

AND HOLY CRAP THE DIFFERENCE! I am blown away. Thanks for the quick responses all.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Friends. I feel really silly and first wanted to just delete this post.
But for the benefits of others.

when I bolted in the bracket the back speaker connections were shorting out on the door and the speaker shut Down! Bending the terminals away solved it.

AND HOLY CRAP THE DIFFERENCE! I am blown away. Thanks for the quick responses all.
I looked at the side profile of that speaker and right away I thought there's a possibility the terminals were touching the metal. I once considered those speakers and did the measurements.

Glad you figured it out and are enjoying the sound.

OP
OP
DrZed

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Oh man…. I’m sitting in the car with the doors all apart and just listening ….. friggin absolutely incredible the change this has made.

LOC 10” pioneer sub LPF 95hz
Hertz DCX 87.3 3.5 mids
Tweeters and center disconnected.

hot dam……

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Oh man…. I’m sitting in the car with the doors all apart and just listening ….. friggin absolutely incredible the change this has made.

Hertz DCX 87.3 3.5 mids

hot dam……
Running the factory mid-woofers?

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

Hertz DCX 87.3 3.5 mids

hot dam……
I wish I had the fortitude to do this. I am just not handy enough with wiring and such.

OP
OP
DrZed

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Running the factory mid-woofers?
Yes... and this sounds crazy but I disconnected it while listening and it made only a small difference. This whole time the sub and rear speakers were off. It is insane the range from these mids!

I have 600Hz bass blockers being delivered tomorrow... do I even need them??? 70Hz-21000 is the range of these Hertz speakers, would I gain any clarity putting the bass blockers on?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yes... and this sounds crazy but I disconnected it while listening and it made only a small difference. This whole time the sub and rear speakers were off. It is insane the range from these mids!

I have 600Hz bass blockers being delivered tomorrow... do I even need them??? 70Hz-21000 is the range of these Hertz speakers, would I gain any clarity putting the bass blockers on?
You could try with the bass blockers. Mid-range drivers go into distortion if they are fed a signal with too much low frequency content. But I am almost certain the 9 channel system is already set up as a semi-active system where the mids and tweeters don't get the low frequencies that the lower door speakers do. So in the end, you may not even need the bass blockers.

Another thing... have you done the Forscan programming to remove the factory EQ ? If you like how it sounds, maybe you should just run with it.

OP
OP
DrZed

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
You could try with the bass blockers. Mid-range drivers go into distortion if they are fed a signal with too much low frequency content. But I am almost certain the 9 channel system is already set up as a semi-active system where the mids and tweeters don't get the low frequencies that the lower door speakers do. So in the end, you may not even need the bass blockers.

Another thing... have you done the Forscan programming to remove the factory EQ ? If you like how it sounds, maybe you should just run with it.
I heard recently about this, thanks for the reminder. It is removing the bass roll off, correct, or is it more? This is something I think I'll look into.

After listening this morning (Alphaville - Forever Young, and a Neil Young song) I can hear a slight distortion at low/medium volume. I think it is exactly as you are suggesting, so I am going to try the BB on one side and listen to the same song. Appreciate the advice.

Mom would be proud. ;)

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
DrZed

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4988.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
DrZed

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Installed the bass blockers - noticeable difference for sure. There was a resonance that sounded like a warble at certain frequencies - now entirely gone.

so to the audiophiles do I keep my headunit EQ flat (all settings in the middle) and adjust on the Spotify EQ or keep Spotify flat and adjust at head unit?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Good thread. I am in the same boat I need to do something with my 9 speaker it just isn't satisfying. So far I've only disconnected the center channel which helped for sure. I've read on here that some people disable the Factory EQ even on the basic system and it helps. Had either of you tried that before your upgrades?

I will likely wait until Spring to figure out what to do with mine as I'm in the process of moving so the car is going to be a lower priority for a couple of months. But this gives me some ideas in the mean time. :)

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I've read on here that some people disable the Factory EQ even on the basic system and it helps. Had either of you tried that before your upgrades?
Yes. I did undo the Factory EQ with Forscan before my stereo mods. I would say it did make a difference for the better. Maybe more for people who listen to the rear speakers. I don't so I didn't notice a change back there. But this should absolutely be done if you plan on using the rear channels to feed a LOC or an amp with high-level inputs for a subwoofer.

OP
OP
DrZed

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Good thread. I am in the same boat I need to do something with my 9 speaker it just isn't satisfying. So far I've only disconnected the center channel which helped for sure. I've read on here that some people disable the Factory EQ even on the basic system and it helps. Had either of you tried that before your upgrades?

I will likely wait until Spring to figure out what to do with mine as I'm in the process of moving so the car is going to be a lower priority for a couple of months. But this gives me some ideas in the mean time. :)

For your consideration: For $75 the Hertz 87.3 speakers and 600hz bass blockers with centre and tweeter disconnected is a dramatic upgrade even with no sub. Then turn up the bass, treble and mids nearly all the way. I tried this front speakers only with the bass blockers to test and I could have easily lived with just those speakers. For under $100 you have great bang for buck.

later on
then the line level sub and amp. You may even find a sealed 10” with amp from a pawn shop. I got the wiring kit from princess auto for $30 - 4 gauge in copper.
Sponsored