Sound System Upgrade for Base Model 2016 GT

Asvy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Asvy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Automatic
After a year of modding my mustang and installing a full Corsa exhaust system, tuning and such. I realized that I should mod my car in other aspects and one that completely blew my mind was the audio system. I went to a car meet last weekend, and a guy showed me his Audio setup, he had a full JL audio system, subwoofers, amplifier, and C5 speakers all around. It sounded amazing, however, I do not know much of how good speakers are supposed to sound. After asking him and looking around JL audio retailers, I was let down to find out that the system is over 4,400+ dollars including installation. To all, you sound heads out there. Is there a good system that you guys recommend? JL audio is a great reliable company but it is quite overpriced. I would love some feed back on some good audio systems that are not as expensive as JL audio but still provide some top notch solid performance. I don't mind dropping a few thousand, but 5k for a sound system is plain ridiculous to me. Im only 18, I try to use my money as wise as possible.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you don't need to drop 5k on a good system. id say you could do a solid system for less than 1-2k.

you only have 6 speakers, so two sets of components, and a amp to power them. then could add a self powered amp.

only thing is your head unit, are you happy with it? if not, that would be the time to figure that out. I don't know what aftermarket radios are out there for our cars.

id say you could be less than a grand for two sick component sets, (left and right side) and amp to power them. + run an aftermarket subwoofer, these are nice. people really like these

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P300-12-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B007AQ2W6W

people who spend 5k on audio systems, are for competing etc.. its not needed, you get stepping increments of quality, ie. a 200 dollar speaker set, and 2000 dollar speaker set, that 2000 speaker set isn't going to sound 10x better. it isn't going to sound 4x better than a 500 dollar system. they are still good speakers.

also, audio has some of the largest labor markups, at least what ive seen. people come in, without a clue how much audio cost, and just say I want the best, a lot of shops will charge a grand for an hour of work. just because they know customers will pay it.

OP
OP
Asvy

Asvy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Asvy
Vehicle(s)
you don't need to drop 5k on a good system. id say you could do a solid system for less than 1-2k.

you only have 6 speakers, so two sets of components, and a amp to power them. then could add a self powered amp.

only thing is your head unit, are you happy with it? if not, that would be the time to figure that out. I don't know what aftermarket radios are out there for our cars.

id say you could be less than a grand for two sick component sets, (left and right side) and amp to power them. + run an aftermarket subwoofer, these are nice. people really like these

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P300-12-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B007AQ2W6W

people who spend 5k on audio systems, are for competing etc.. its not needed, you get stepping increments of quality, ie. a 200 dollar speaker set, and 2000 dollar speaker set, that 2000 speaker set isn't going to sound 10x better. it isn't going to sound 4x better than a 500 dollar system. they are still good speakers.

also, audio has some of the largest labor markups, at least what ive seen. people come in, without a clue how much audio cost, and just say I want the best, a lot of shops will charge a grand for an hour of work. just because they know customers will pay it.
What do you mean by head unit? You mean the SYNC thing or whatever it is called? Does the little display change how the music sounds? and also what are sick components?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean by head unit? You mean the SYNC thing or whatever it is called? Does the little display change how the music sounds? and also what are sick components?
im saying, if you wanted to ever upgrade that small 3 inch screen or whatever it is, this would be the time to do it. all at once.

I believe the focals are like the best 3 way components, I see them bought a lot. you'd have to research to make sure they fit properly of course. but these would you away.

500 bucks, full set of 6 speakers, right here.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-52nIaLlX0De/p_091165AS3/Focal-Performance-165AS3.html

750 bucks, full set of 6 speakers you could use
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-15bVnRSlFWx/p_210VIR603/Morel-Virtus-603.html

so lets say you buy the 750 buck one above. (there's also a scratch dent for 675) and if you re military or dveteran you can get a 25 off coupon to sweeten whatever you buy. you'd need an amp, and also need new wires to the speakers, if you are pushing the recommended power, the stock speaker wires won't cut it.

there may be even better 3 way components, I don't know, I just did a quick Crutchfield. I see people here buy morel focals or whatever often. must be great

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
No, I don't mind the little screen. I couldn't care less of how big it is.

What are the two components that you recommend getting? Aside of the subwoofer.

or if you could send me your build, that would be awesome!
im already built, sorry I can't help. I had a premium so went a different route than yourself.
I simply disabled factory EQ, added 12 speaker amp+acm, swapped the 6.5's for powerbass 6.5's and gto620's for rear shelf, also added a subwoofer amp, and 12w6v3 subwoofer JL audio

but if I had a base, id forgo the entire rear shelf, you don't need the fill. just put nice set of amped components in, and a subwoofer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Asvy

Asvy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Asvy
Vehicle(s)
im already built, sorry I can't help. I had a premium so went a different route than yourself.
I simply disabled factory EQ, added 12 speaker amp+acm, swapped the 6.5's for powerbass 6.5's and gto620's for rear shelf, also added a subwoofer amp, and 12w6v3 subwoofer JL audio

but if I had a base, id forgo the entire rear shelf, you don't need the fill. just put nice set of amped components in, and a subwoofer.

Does it matter what amplifier I get?
Will I be able to turn up or turn down the bass with any amplifier?

This is the list so far:

1. Subwoofer

2. Speakers
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-15bVnRSlFWx/p_210VIR603/Morel-Virtus-603.html

3. Amplifier
What do you think of these ???
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13698362/JL-Audio-JD500-1.html?tp=115

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CX41T/Kicker-46CXA400-1T.html?tp=115

4. Wires (are these good?)
Speaker
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007CC14L/Crutchfield-Speaker-Wire-50-ft-roll.html

AMP
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007CK4/Crutchfield-CK4.html

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If you buy the self powered subwoofer, you don't need another amp. you just need power wires.

sub
p300 + wiring kit.

but be aware you can spend as much as you want on a subwoofer/amp. I am running an 800 dollar box, and the JD500 and LOVE it. but its a lot of money.

speakers
whatever speakers you want, just get a amplifier for them.

call Crutchfield, they will tell you best amp/speaker combos.

your speaker wire link, its the same wiring harness I have used in every car I own. I am running 500-700 watts no issue with their kits
Crutchfield-CK4.html

all of Crutchfield wires are good, just make sure you get oxygen free if you don't buy from Crutchfield, aluminum clad copper is terrible. I ordered 8 gauge of oxygen free grounding wire @ 15 feet, like 1.29 a foot. local its 3.15 a foot, at audio shops.

I have this amp in both my cars
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13698362/JL-Audio-JD500-1.html?tp=115

I love it. its solid, but if you get a self powered woofer, you don't need an subwoofer amp, but if you get a bigger/badder amp. well, you need an amp, sub and box. imo. depends on how much bass you want, that box I posted, several members here use it.

worst case scenario, you don't like it, just send it back, the power wires etc can be used for next sub/amp

I have a bass knob on my subs, but you can also adjust it using settings, well on my mustang its easy. but your smaller screen ive never used it to adjust settings.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I believe Crutchfield sells everything listed, call them and ask questions.

I believe they also make amps that can have multiple channels for speakers + a subwoofer channel too. not sure the cost of them baddies though. id do dedicated amp for your speakers, and one or integrated subwoofer one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Asvy

Asvy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Asvy
Vehicle(s)
I believe Crutchfield sells everything listed, call them and ask questions.

I believe they also make amps that can have multiple channels for speakers + a subwoofer channel too. not sure the cost of them baddies though. id do dedicated amp for your speakers, and one or integrated subwoofer one.
Ok so I called Crutchfield and they told me this. I want your opinon.

The tech told me that I should get a 2-way Morel speaker system because I will have to cut holes on the side of my door, if I get the 3-way Morel speakers system. What is your take on this? Should I just stick with the 2-way, or get the labor done for the 3 way?

He also told me that I should upgrade my stereo, in order to get the best sound out of my speakers. I thought that Sync 3 was good, but he told me that it limits the power that my speakers will have, and I told him what if I just disable the EQ of the SYNC 3 and he told me that the speakers might sound louder but they won't sound nearly as good if I just upgraded the stereo. What is your take on this?

Thanks !

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so I called Crutchfield and they told me this. I want your opinon.

The tech told me that I should get a 2-way Morel speaker system because I will have to cut holes on the side of my door, if I get the 3-way Morel speakers system. What is your take on this? Should I just stick with the 2-way, or get the labor done for the 3 way?

He also told me that I should upgrade my stereo, in order to get the best sound out of my speakers. I thought that Sync 3 was good, but he told me that it limits the power that my speakers will have, and I told him what if I just disable the EQ of the SYNC 3 and he told me that the speakers might sound louder but they won't sound nearly as good if I just upgraded the stereo. What is your take on this?

Thanks !
I disagree, doesn't your car have 6 speakers?

6.5 in door
3.5 in door
1 inch tweeter in a pillar?

I don't believe in using 2 ways in doors, you don't want both your mids and highs coming from same area, you want your highs up and lows down. separation is needed.

I have never been in a base car, but when they say you have 6 speakers, there's 3 on each side right? A pillar, and 2 in door.

they are incorrect if thats true. you already have holes, I don't know base cars though. I could be misinformed and they could be using 2 ways in the doors.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
if someone ca clarify the info above, because I don't have really experience with base cars.

OP
OP
Asvy

Asvy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Asvy
Vehicle(s)
I disagree, doesn't your car have 6 speakers?

6.5 in door
3.5 in door
1 inch tweeter in a pillar?

I don't believe in using 2 ways in doors, you don't want both your mids and highs coming from same area, you want your highs up and lows down. separation is needed.

I have never been in a base car, but when they say you have 6 speakers, there's 3 on each side right? A pillar, and 2 in door.

they are incorrect if thats true. you already have holes, I don't know base cars though. I could be misinformed and they could be using 2 ways in the doors.
Ok I need to check because I think only have one on the door, two on each pillar, and two somewhere in the back

Could you tell me more about if I need to uprade my stereo? Does upgrading the stereo really affect the sound quality??

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
if someone ca clarify the info above, because I don't have really experience with base cars.
Base cars only have 6.5” speakers in the lower front door areas and the tweeter in the A-pillar. The base door panels do not have the 3.5” speaker grilles.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Ok I need to check because I think only have one on the door, two on each pillar, and two somewhere in the back

Could you tell me more about if I need to uprade my stereo? Does upgrading the stereo really affect the sound quality??
Since you are being smart with your $$, let’s ask a few questions and offer suggestions that will help guide you to fiscal and auditory happiness:
1) What don’t you like about your radio (not speaker sound, I’m talking about features)? If the radio has what you need, then it can be integrated. If you want to play DVDs, want built-in navigation, want Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, want a touchscreen, or etc., then a new radio is needed.
2) What don’t you like about the sound? Not enough bass? Not enough vocals? New speakers and tuning will fix these problems. Your needs will dictate what to buy.
3) Your budget may only allow for a 40–50 watt RMS per channel amplifier. That’s fine. However, over time, you may want more volume/better sound and that will require an upgrade. I’d suggest buying a speaker set that’s rated for 80-100 watts (or more) per channel. The cost may be $100-$200 more than the lower-priced lower-wattage set, but it allows for upgrading. That $100-$200 is cheaper than starting with a new speaker set.
4) A DSP (digital signal processor) will greatly enhance your sound. They are priced anywhere from $279 to $3,000. Price is dependent upon features and number of inputs/outputs that the unit will provide. You can start off with a cheaper one and upgrade as your budget allows. It’s also transferable to your next vehicle. A Rockford Fosgate DSR1 with the Maestro iDatalink dFO2 harness will integrate your base stereo and clean up the awful equalization that the stock system has.

There are more questions to ask, so tell us what you need and we can offer suggestions/recommendations. Don’t be afraid to ask “stupid questions.” No question is stupid except for the one that you were afraid to ask.

CricketSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base Model 10R80
I just installed a subwoofer and I super happy with the results.

Here is what I did.

1) upgraded the door speakers to Kicker 6.5
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/k...-6-5-door-speaker-upgrade-kit-base-audio.html

~ 180$

These have a much cleaner sound than the factor.

2) Rockville RWS12CA Slim 1200 Watt 12"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DNT4YBA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This fits perfect just behind the seats, facing the trunk. Speaker is self powered, so less cable mess

I set it to 50% gain, otherwise too gangster for me ;)

~150$

3) Wiring kit is crap on the Sub\Amp so I went with:
TOPSTRONGGEAR 4 Gauge Amp Kit True 4 AWG Amplifier
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WTTV19N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~38$

4) Since I was going to replace my 4inch unit with an 8 inch, I decided to use a harness kit for the RCA inputs:
2015 - 2020 Ford Mustang 4 OR 8 Inch Screen Non Amplified Base Model Radio Plug & Play Audio Harnesses: Kits Ă— 1
https://plugnplaykits.com/products/...io-harnesses-kits?_pos=2&_sid=7f64f4692&_ss=r

~65$

* Blue remote wire does not work with the harness, amp stays on. I just tapped into the trunk wiring cables , its the blue wire with white strip.

Ground cable tap: I attached a bolt\washer where the spare tire goes, there are two spots to put a screw, this works even with the spare tire.

I Hope this helps someone. The difference with this sub is night and day, even with the seats up.
Sponsored

Last edited: