V6 2016 base model looking for an economical aftermarket infotainment system

Keshav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keshav
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 V6
I tried to read as much as possible, however haven't found a clear article yet to help me install a $150 android auto in to my newly purchased old car.
Mission:- Install 10.1inch Chinese Android auto 2GB+32GB 4 core Radio+Rear Cam+A/V Player+Navigation
Problem:- Need step by step guidance,
1. Harness and Connections
2. Do I need a 2Din or 1Din system
3. Do I need to have a compatible dash plastic unit or can I just make do with whatever I have(its got a 4inch bad display)?
Who is asking this:- Boy with inquisitive DIY attitude and happy help others whenever he gets a chance.

Any help here is much appreciated
Sponsored

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
Upgrade the speakers and put a powered sub in it

OP
OP

Keshav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keshav
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 V6
You will likely need a dash kit at a minimum:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142FD05AB/Scosche-ITCFD05AB-Mustang-Kit-Black.html

As for actually doing it, I could only tell you how based on what was necessary on a 2013 model, and I doubt they're all that similar.
I would welcome the instructions for sure "Zombie"
Now the suggestion regarding dash kit.....the link is actually double the cost of the infotainment system.
I am looking to keep my dash and just remove the buttons and screen on top
Please check the photo, enveloped in white marker is what I wish to remove (I saw its actually detachable) and place a 10" screen there.
You can guide me to do that

1660096444649.png

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
That's not possible. You need a dashkit. No way around it.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
As was said, there isn't really a way around using a dash kit. (3d printing one, maybe? But most home 3d printers wouldn't have a deck large enough)

The main reason (at least with my 2013) is there is not enough depth behind where the factory screen is to put a head unit. The factory head unit is pretty much using the entire height of the dash panel but only maybe 2 or 3 inches of depth.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The main reason is the electronics in the stock dash piece. Climate controls, CAN-bus and whatnot are inside the stock dashkit. You would need extensive electronics engineering skills (and some sources at Ford) to modify this thing, and i bet it is just plain cheaper to get a dashkit instead. ;)

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
What unit did you buy? It should be model-specific. If you just got a generic 10" display fit for older vehicles without all the infotainment stuff cars come with stock, it'd likely not work without an engineer's level understanding of the embedded electronics. I don't know of any S550 kits selling at $150, let alone any at that price point worth the time or monetary investments to get working.

This one appears to receive good reviews around here from my research, and of course maintains functionality of climate and CAN-bus. It'll likely be the one I go with in the near future. Phoenix Automotive units are also around but I've not read much of any fantastic things of them.

I'm unsure if it existed in '16, but the 8" SYNC 3 display upgrade is also an option. you'd need to bang around here to see if that's applicable for you.
Sponsored