The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
So I've just tried to book my car in for its first oil change, and I've been given a date 3 weeks in advance - is this usual and what I've got to look forward to in the future? I'm really shocked but then again I've never had to use a Ford dealer before.... snob that I am! I could understand it if I'd asked for a courtesy car but I'm happy to wait for it.
i booked mine about 2 months in advance; it all depends on when you ask for the service, and when they have a space available.
Sponsored

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
I suppose what I mean is that Ford sell a car with an intelligent oil life monitor but then don't have the business model to back this up. The manual says to get the oil change done within 500 miles of the message, but I'll have done at least another 1,000 miles before I can actually get mine into the dealership to get it done. It didn't help that the woman who answered the phone asked me why I wanted the oil changed at 6,700 miles when it wasn't due for a service until 10,000 miles. Err because it's telling me to and I don't just use it to go to the shops....... At this rate I may as well get the service done at the same time.

So in future do I wait for the message again, or just get it done every 5000 or 6000 miles? In which case at least I can plan a month in advance.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I suppose what I mean is that Ford sell a car with an intelligent oil life monitor but then don't have the business model to back this up. The manual says to get the oil change done within 500 miles of the message, but I'll have done at least another 1,000 miles before I can actually get mine into the dealership to get it done. It didn't help that the woman who answered the phone asked me why I wanted the oil changed at 6,700 miles when it wasn't due for a service until 10,000 miles. Err because it's telling me to and I don't just use it to go to the shops....... At this rate I may as well get the service done at the same time.

So in future do I wait for the message again, or just get it done every 5000 or 6000 miles? In which case at least I can plan a month in advance.
For what its worth, i took mine in for this oil life check in Jan, i was more concerned about the alleged update that addresses the premature warning (mine was about 5k miles) they ended up doing an oil change under warranty which was a nice bonus for me.

If i was you though, i’d be tempted to reset myself and then wait for 10k miles/first service. Less hassle

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
Yeah but 10,000 miles seems an awfully long time to go without any check at all from new. I'm quite happy to get an oil change every 6k miles (it's a performance car so it's what I'd expect), but are you saying the interval warning light is premature? The manual says to do it after 5k miles if you think the warning has become inoperable.

I was just a bit surprised that there's more than a 3 week lead-time to book the car in, I was expecting to be able to get it in next week, heyho you live and learn :doh:

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
I had exactly the same conversation today when booking mine in for an oil change. The oil life message has just come on and the mileage is 26700, (last service was at 20000). The lady is confused I’m asking for an oil change when the next service isn’t due. I explain that oil life depends on useage. She finally agrees to book it in but says it can’t be done while I wait as they have to do the spark plugs! I ask her to go away and talk to a technician! She comes back and has clearly had things explained to her!

I’ve done some digging and research on this oil life warning. It is calculated from an algorithm that works on how hard the engine has been worked. I reckon I’m a bit reserved but getting more pushy. Service oil intervals have been 8k, 7k, 6k, 5.7k.

I’m also a supporter of changing oil sooner rather than later. It’s a pretty important component of your engine and works hard. I personally wouldn’t wait.

At least I can always get a service within a week where I live. Now I get my main services done without an oil change.

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I had a Ford service advisor tell me that my puddle lights had almost definitely failed due to the Lund remap:lol::lol:

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I'd like to believe the algorithm theory. Except that my oil life countdown goes fastest when the car is not being driven :shrug:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
is there actually a TSA for the premature illumination ?

mine comes on religiously every 2k miles mine came on a couple of days ago for the 3rd time since I've owned it just ticked over 6k miles.

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
I'd like to believe the algorithm theory. Except that my oil life countdown goes fastest when the car is not being driven :shrug:
It’s not a theory. It’s their IOLM feature, well described on line. It’s seems mine is Working OK. Clearly some aren’t. The technician thought that driving a manual box hard could well push the mileage oil life down to 3000 miles or less. If yours is going down without being driven it May be a fault but the algorithm will include a time factor, ie an undriven car should still have an oil change after 12 months. So you should see 2% loss of oil life each week even if not driven.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
It’s not a theory. It’s their IOLM feature, well described on line. It’s seems mine is Working OK. Clearly some aren’t. The technician thought that driving a manual box hard could well push the mileage oil life down to 3000 miles or less. If yours is going down without being driven it May be a fault but the algorithm will include a time factor, ie an undriven car should still have an oil change after 12 months. So you should see 2% loss of oil life each week even if not driven.
Sorry, I wasn't saying the existence of the algorithm was a theory. The theory the algorithm is based on is what I would like to believe. My Mondeo diesel one works fine, popping at or around 18,000 miles every time (which is about every nine months). I think these things work better if you are doing higher than the 'average' mileage vs time. Intermittent use seems to confuse them.

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Sorry, I wasn't saying the existence of the algorithm was a theory. The theory the algorithm is based on is what I would like to believe. My Mondeo diesel one works fine, popping at or around 18,000 miles every time (which is about every nine months). I think these things work better if you are doing higher than the 'average' mileage vs time. Intermittent use seems to confuse them.
get mine serviced once a year with Mike, and usually the monitor is around 20% left or lower.

vikkic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Need for Green
Is there a way of seeing the monitor before the warning pops up? I can't seem to find it on any of the menus.

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, Nissan 350Z
Had my 1st service done at 3,600 miles at Trust Ford in Staines.
They serviced it, didn't wash it as requested.
It was fine, but not much there to mess up :)

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Received a very hopeful update yesterday from Ford customer services, which I was pretty damn happy with;

“I have received an update from the dealership to confirm that they have now found the water leak and they are repairing this for you.

I will provide you with a further update on Tuesday.”

Great mood all day yesterday, thinking when I return from my holiday, I’ll probably be cruising around again finally :cool:

Only to get this update today from the dealership;

“Hello Kristian,

Unfortunately, i haven't got update just yet for you.

I am hoping we will make some progress on Monday and i will email you another update then.”

Speaks volumes

:confused:

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Sounds like the dealership have told customer relations they have sorted it to get them off their back! Hope you do get it sorted soon.
Sponsored