Sponsored

Smacked a Curb Hard!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What would be your guys’ first steps after smacking a curb pretty damn hard? Something is jacked up. Car drives crooked. Body shop? Start with an alignment shop? Dealer? Not sure where to even start, lol. Thanks guys.

*note...not my car...asking for a buddy’s car. Seriously.
Sponsored

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
What would be your guys’ first steps after smacking a curb pretty damn hard? Something is jacked up. Car drives crooked. Body shop? Start with an alignment shop? Dealer? Not sure where to even start, lol. Thanks guys.

Collision repair facility.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Dealer or other shop that also performs alignments first. I swung wide in the snow a few years back on my old car and smacked a curb. I got angry and drove the thing right to the nearest bodyshop with the steering wheel pointed sideways hoping to get it cleared up as soon as possible and recover my pride. Once I got there the estimator looked at it and asked "what do you want me to do about it?" Seemed quite obvious right at that point but it hadn't occurred to me in my frustration that he wasn't really equipped to handle anything that had been done to it. Went down the street to a Honda dealership (they were close) and they got me fixed right up. As long as there's no body damage, most of it will be subframe realignment and suspension part replacement.

Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No body damage. And I can replace bent/broken parts. Just wasn't sure about any subframe damage or bent metal (outside actual components) that might not show up to the naked eye. Maybe an alignment is a good place to start, but some of those places are hit or miss also as to capabilities. Maybe dealer. It hit good enough to break a wheel. I haven't seen the damage yet. Going to look here in a couple hours.

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT

My first step would be to go sleep it off. Probably safer for you that anyway.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I slid in the rain in a chevy pickup. After hitting the curb the steering wheel was way off while driving straight. Took it into chevy, was just alignment.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
bent half-shafts, bent shock mounts (ie frame surfaces) etc. There's all kinds of things that could be bent/broken. I did a similar 4-wheel sideways slide into sidewalk with my CUV many years ago and it was an expensive repair.

Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The good news is the suspensions are designed for the parts to give before there is any frame damage. Like another post said, get it in the air and see the extent of it. I would imagine you probably have some wheels to replace or repair and see if the car can align. If it can't align you got some bent control arms and such. Lucky the side airbags didn't go off.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Look at control arms - if they aren't bent (and wheel isn't damaged), it probably just needs an alignment.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Does the buddy know about it LoL?

Wheels look centered in the wheel well ?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
If it drove straight before and now it doesn’t, something is bent. An alignment will not do any good until the bent part(s) are replaced.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The car is at the house. Gonna tackle it here first. Like you guys said; relax, get it up in the air, and see what we got. May just be a matter of replacing bent components. It’s only the right rear and she’s bent. That wheel is toe’d out like a mofo. Pic is looking fairly straight down the side of the car. And believe it or not, this tire is not flat nor damaged. The left wheel does not look displaced; it does not appear that anything was shifted from the hit. It’ll be Tuesday before I can get to it. Stay tuned.

988450A6-4D72-4DB9-A27F-EDE00DCBF823.jpeg

EDB0E638-27FD-4C50-ACA2-9786F3350E8F.jpeg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer but not the end of the world, surprised the tire is holding air
Sponsored