Sloshing Noise

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I recently got a upgraded to a 2020 Mustang from my 2018. I was going to change the wheels from the stock ones to my SP2s and while I was breaking the torque I heard a sloshing noise. My 2018 never made any noise so I was a little concerned. I'm assuming it's from the gas tank but it sounds super loud to me. Is this normal? Because my 2018 never made any noise regardless of how much gas I had (I'm currently at a little over 1/3 of a tank). And if it is normal would putting sound deadening in the trunk help?

Also does anyone know what this tape is for? It's in the spare wheel spot.
20211019_222947.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm not aware of a sloshing issue with the S550's, but there was issues with the 2020 Explorers and complaints from owners. The finding was that the noise is more prevalent when the fuel tank is half full or lower than 3/4.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I recently got a upgraded to a 2020 Mustang from my 2018. I was going to change the wheels from the stock ones to my SP2s and while I was breaking the torque I heard a sloshing noise. My 2018 never made any noise so I was a little concerned. I'm assuming it's from the gas tank but it sounds super loud to me. Is this normal? Because my 2018 never made any noise regardless of how much gas I had (I'm currently at a little over 1/3 of a tank). And if it is normal would putting sound deadening in the trunk help?

Also does anyone know what this tape is for? It's in the spare wheel spot.
20211019_222947.jpg
It's the gas in the tank sloshing when you're tightening the lug nuts.

OP
OP
Whitest Russian

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I'm not aware of a sloshing issue with the S550's, but there was issues with the 2020 Explorers and complaints from owners. The finding was that the noise is more prevalent when the fuel tank is half full or lower than 3/4.
I looked at some threads about that and no one had a cause. Some people thought it might be a baffle issue.

Someone linked this TSB for a sloshing sound in other Ford vehicles:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/18-2003.pdf

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Completely normal depending on how full the gas tank is.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In my video I had a little over 1/3 of a tank and no parking brake. I was rocking the car from the trunk.
What video? your Imgur link doesn't work for me.

OP
OP
Whitest Russian

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
What video? your Imgur link doesn't work for me.
I just tried it on my phone and on a different computer. It works for me and plays sound.

Here's a direct link, make sure you turn the volume on by clicking the speaker button on the video.

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/GnAIKll.mp4

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I just tried it on my phone and on a different computer. It works for me and plays sound.

Here's a direct link, make sure you turn the volume on by clicking the speaker button on the video.

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/GnAIKll.mp4
direct link worked. Yeah, IDK sounds a lot like gas in the gas tank. Seems pretty normal.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I always have the parking brake on and the wheels chocked when swapping tires, so the car hasn't rocked like yours and therefore made no sound.

The little rectangle in the trunk (and I think if you remove everything you will find two or three more) are there to keep the spare, when in place, from being right against the metal, either to keep it from squeaking or some other, unknown, reason.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
This is from when I came home with a full tank. It's still sloshing around.

Code:
https://imgur.com/a/uYlFECY
Drive more, worry less man. Have you looked at the amount of elbow you have to put into your breaker bar to break loose the lugs on these S550s? Manual says lug nuts are torqued to 150 ft. lbs. That's a lot of force you are exerting. If it makes the gas in your gas tank slosh around a little bit, oh well. I'd rather hear gas in my tank sloshing around while the car isn't even on then the sound of rushing water in the dash when I'm driving. No offense, but create another thread when you have a real problem to worry about.
Sponsored