Sponsored

Slight pavement scrape-is M1 ride height lower than GT?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
You guys may actually need to look underneath your car first, before engaging in an armchair debate šŸ˜‰.

The splitter/front lip is one thing, but the engine bay deflector is the real deal.
Aren't the lower bits in line with the wheels i.e. a non issue unless you straddle a speed hump or similar ?

WD :like:
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Intrigued by my own photos, yes, the belly pan is lower still than the front splitter lip, by 1 inch / 25 mm.

Previously, I'd practiced using my ramps and took some measurements.

The ramps have an angle of approach of about 6.5'. The Ford manual says to stay under 7'.

At approach, I have 1.5" / 38 mm clearance to the lip. But on other photos, you'll see the shape of the belly pan and how it is lower than the plane of the splitter.

I did a visual confirmation on the pan this AM; it is lower than the splitter lip, by the amount above.

When I first picked up my car, I zeroed in on the splitter and thought, "S@#$. There's no way." But I have not had any significant issues.

When entering and exiting the drive, I do so at at angle, and creep across. Otherwise, things have been OK. I'm using A/S tires, which are a tick taller than factory. I have lightly scraped the outside lip, twice, but nothing serious. Belly pan remains scrape-free.

20221025_080026.jpg

20221025_080211.jpg

20221025_080332.jpg

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Just a few points from me :
  • Splitter design can affect ground clearance and the chance of grounding, without lowering the car (greater distance from the centre of the wheel = more chance of grounding on angle changes and driveways etc).
  • Magneride does not alter ride height with drive mode.
WD, is your statement above something I should have been able to have found looking around more? It sure blows my main theory about what may have caused this scraping. Magneride and itā€™s operation in the Mustang remains a bit of an information black hole for me.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
WD, is your statement above something I should have been able to have found looking around more? It sure blows my main theory about what may have caused this scraping. Magneride and itā€™s operation in the Mustang remains a bit of an information black hole for me.
Not sure to be honest :like:

The ride height is controlled by the spring / the mechanical bits that you can see (my Magneride GT) :

1675864474454.jpeg

The damping and ride quality is controlled by the 'Magneride' bit i.e. the sensors, the electronics and the insides of the damper that you can't see (and that can't alter ride height) :like:

Ref my other comment on ground clearance and ride height - this frequently used picture (with some addiotnal lines added by me) highlight what I was saying quite well :

1675864742960.png

The cars are approximately the same ride height (green lines).

The splitter heights are different (redlines - two on the Mach for the HP / non HP).

The front overhang is different - larger on the Mach (blue lines - which are spaced the same on both cars, but they fit the GT perfect and show the additional length of the Mach front lip).

The approach angle is shown in yellow lines.

So for a Mach and GT of the same ride height, the Mach will catch its splitter much easier than the GT :like:

Hopefully that helps ?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Magneride alters the viscosity of the fluid in the damper by varying the current flowing through the electromagnets in the damper. The system can firm-up or soften-up depending on the mode setting. Track mode is going to be firmer and actually a benefit to help prevent sudden suspension compression. But this does nothing to alter the ride height. The springs determine the ride height.
A visual showing what happens inside the dampers:
1675865179330.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure to be honest :like:

The ride height is controlled by the spring / the mechanical bits that you can see (my Magneride GT) :

1675864474454.jpeg

The damping and ride quality is controlled by the 'Magneride' bit i.e. the sensors, the electronics and the insides of the damper that you can't see (and that can't alter ride height) :like:

Ref my other comment on ground clearance and ride height - this frequently used picture (with some addiotnal lines added by me) highlight what I was saying quite well :

1675864742960.png

The cars are approximately the same ride height (green lines).

The splitter heights are different (redlines - two on the Mach for the HP / non HP).

The front overhang is different - larger on the Mach (blue lines - which are spaced the same on both cars, but they fit the GT perfect and show the additional length of the Mach front lip).

The approach angle is shown in yellow lines.

So for a Mach and GT of the same ride height, the Mach will catch its splitter much easier than the GT :like:

Hopefully that helps ?

100%, thank you!

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
It is also possible that magneride front springs are softer than the regular ones - reason why all Mach 1s are shipped with those infamous shipping blocks.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
It is also possible that magneride front springs are softer than the regular ones - reason why all Mach 1s are shipped with those infamous shipping blocks.
Iā€™ve got the spring rates on my work PC, I can post them them tomorrow if you like :like:

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
traxiii, yes I do. pretty much 100% of the time. Is your question because of noise or more along the lines of Magneride maybe putting the car closer to the ground? Maybe something else? Iā€™m interested in your thoughts, please let me know.
The roads in my area are really bad and ride comfort on my daily driver is important to me.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Every time I drive either car I am in track mode once the tranny warms up. Itā€™s one of the reasons I got the tune for the 2019. I have noticed that I have scraped a little coming out of certain places with the Mach where the 2019 does not. I now know only having 250 miles to take it easy in those areas.
I don't think track mode lowers the ride height, but does tighten up the shocks and make for a more harsh ride. With the HP splitter, you are going to hit/rub the front corners on ramps/driveways, sometimes even while taking super wide angles. My driveway is horrible, because the sidewalk is against the street so the driveway ramp is only half as long as if we had a parkway between the sidewalk and the street. It is almost impossible not to rub using my driveway. :angry:

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I don't think track mode lowers the ride height, but does tighten up the shocks and make for a more harsh ride. With the HP splitter, you are going to hit/rub the front corners on ramps/driveways, sometimes even while taking super wide angles. My driveway is horrible,
because the sidewalk is against the street so the driveway ramp is only half as long as if we had a parkway between the sidewalk and the street. It is almost impossible not to rub using my driveway. :angry:
watch me scrape(Turn up the volume!šŸ˜•šŸ¤£ )LOL that was when i first got her, I have learned to angle it more I don't really scrape much anymore

Last edited:

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Comparing my M1 to my GT; neither car has PP or HP and both are stock.

I got a little surprise yesterday in my M1. Going only 25 mph over a very small dip in the road I hear a little pavement scrape from the front bottom of my car. Nothing major, just enough to be able to hear it. No damage evident from topside of car looking down on front splitter and canā€™t feel any rash. M1 was running in track mode.

Iā€˜ve never had this happen in either of two new GTs at the same spot in the road even running a little faster. I measured both the M1 and the GT side by side in the garage to the bottom of the splitters and itā€™s 9ā€ on the GT and 7ā€ on the M1, so the M1 is a little lower.

So:

* Is this a known thing and am I just going to need to watch ahead for dips in the road?

* Does track mode lower the Magneride and do I need to just back off to Sport+?

* Just a fluke and fuggetabout
Comparing my M1 to my GT; neither car has PP or HP and both are stock.

I got a little surprise yesterday in my M1. Going only 25 mph over a very small dip in the road I hear a little pavement scrape from the front bottom of my car. Nothing major, just enough to be able to hear it. No damage evident from topside of car looking down on front splitter and canā€™t feel any rash. M1 was running in track mode.

Iā€˜ve never had this happen in either of two new GTs at the same spot in the road even running a little faster. I measured both the M1 and the GT side by side in the garage to the bottom of the splitters and itā€™s 9ā€ on the GT and 7ā€ on the M1, so the M1 is a little lower.

So:

* Is this a known thing and am I just going to need to watch ahead for dips in the road?

* Does track mode lower the Magneride and do I need to just back off to Sport+?

* Just a fluke and fuggetaboutit?
What you can do is add some "SLIPLO" Universal Skid Plates to the underside of your front splitter for instances like this.... I added it to my 2020 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2.... That double stacked splitter would scrape coming in and out of certain driveways....

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
watch me scrape(Turn up the volume!šŸ˜•šŸ¤£ )LOL that was when i first got her, I have learned to angle it more I don't really scrape much anymore

OUCH!

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think track mode lowers the ride height, but does tighten up the shocks and make for a more harsh ride. With the HP splitter, you are going to hit/rub the front corners on ramps/driveways, sometimes even while taking super wide angles. My driveway is horrible, because the sidewalk is against the street so the driveway ramp is only half as long as if we had a parkway between the sidewalk and the street. It is almost impossible not to rub using my driveway. :angry:
I have some old pieces of plywood hanging around about 2 feet square that I have to place at the meeting of the driveway and street in order to get out of mine. Lowering the car an inch didnt make that any better either

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of the HP double splitter, is the purpose of that to increase downforce by stiffening the splitter? If thatā€™s the case, couldnā€™t Ford have accomplished the same thing by utilizing a single thickness splitter made of a stiffer material that wouldnā€™t have clearance issues? And does it actually do anything for street driven cars in the first place?

Iā€˜m certainly not an engineer and sometimes obvious things fly right by me but Iā€™ve never really understood the double splitter thing. Well, it does identify the car as having the cool HP option but again on the streetā€¦
Sponsored