Sponsored

Slight pavement scrape-is M1 ride height lower than GT?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Comparing my M1 to my GT; neither car has PP or HP and both are stock.

I got a little surprise yesterday in my M1. Going only 25 mph over a very small dip in the road I hear a little pavement scrape from the front bottom of my car. Nothing major, just enough to be able to hear it. No damage evident from topside of car looking down on front splitter and canā€™t feel any rash. M1 was running in track mode.

Iā€˜ve never had this happen in either of two new GTs at the same spot in the road even running a little faster. I measured both the M1 and the GT side by side in the garage to the bottom of the splitters and itā€™s 9ā€ on the GT and 7ā€ on the M1, so the M1 is a little lower.

So:

* Is this a known thing and am I just going to need to watch ahead for dips in the road?

* Does track mode lower the Magneride and do I need to just back off to Sport+?

* Just a fluke and fuggetaboutit?
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The Mach 1 is a PP ( PP2, Bullitt) by default. The HP option is just a spring, wheel and spoiler swap out/add on. That would imply that the ride height would be lower. Visually, Iā€™d say my PP Mach 1 is about the same height as my 2016 GT with the Ford Performance handling pack which is about 1ā€ lower than a stock GT.

Last edited:

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Other than the corners of the HP splitter on driveways, I've only scraped something under my M1 once and it was a speed bump I didn't slow down enough for. The SUV in front of my didn't slow at all and I didn't see it coming till too late. 8K Miles and counting.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mach 1 is a PP ( PP2, Bullitt) by default. The HP option is just a spring, wheel and spoiler swap out/add on. That would imply that the ride height would be lower. Iā€™d say the Mach 1 is about the same height as my 2016 GT with the Ford Performance handling pack which is about 1ā€ lower than a stock GT.
Kind of a different topic but in looking at that chart showing the differences I couldnā€™t see much either except as you point out, wheels and spoiler. Not sure how much difference spring tuning would make, but itā€™s hard to imagine a car handling much better on the street than this one anyway. And seems like most guys are swapping out the cup2s so thereā€™s that.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other than the corners of the HP splitter on driveways, I've only scraped something under my M1 once and it was a speed bump I didn't slow down enough for. The SUV in front of my didn't slow at all and I didn't see it coming till too late. 8K Miles and counting.
Yeah itā€™s only a theory but Iā€™m starting to wonder if track mode adjusts the Magneride to lower the car for a perfectly flat track surface. If so I can work around it with My Mode but it sure is easy just to pop it into track mode after I crank up.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Kind of a different topic but in looking at that chart showing the differences I couldnā€™t see much either except as you point out, wheels and spoiler. Not sure how much difference spring tuning would make, but itā€™s hard to imagine a car handling much better on the street than this one anyway. And seems like most guys are swapping out the cup2s so thereā€™s that.
Itā€™s simple engineering. Bigger tires, more grip, more force, with more spring compression from bigger spoilers needs more spring to compensate. Rewarding and fun indeed for track use to increase limits, but rather useless and somewhat detrimental on a street hooligan Mach 1.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Yeah itā€™s only a theory but Iā€™m starting to wonder if track mode adjusts the Magneride to lower the car for a perfectly flat track surface. If so I can work around it with My Mode but it sure is easy just to pop it into track mode after I crank up.
You run in track mode on the street???

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I have the HP splitter up front and I scrape here and there but its not bad at all. Mostly on steep driveways, I make sure I go at an angle.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I drive either car I am in track mode once the tranny warms up. Itā€™s one of the reasons I got the tune for the 2019. I have noticed that I have scraped a little coming out of certain places with the Mach where the 2019 does not. I now know only having 250 miles to take it easy in those areas.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
traxiii, yes I do. pretty much 100% of the time. Is your question because of noise or more along the lines of Magneride maybe putting the car closer to the ground? Maybe something else? Iā€™m interested in your thoughts, please let me know.

Sponsored
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every time I drive either car I am in track mode once the tranny warms up. Itā€™s one of the reasons I got the tune for the 2019. I have noticed that I have scraped a little coming out of certain places with the Mach where the 2019 does not. I now know only having 250 miles to take it easy in those areas.
Demon, are you thinking track mode is causing your Mach 1 to drop to a lower ride height? Iā€™m thinking that might be my problem.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Now that youā€™ve mentioned it, yes. Iā€™m driving out of the same parking lots and other places in both cars and the 2019 is fine and the Machscrapes a little. I guess Iā€™ll just leave it in normal mode until I get out onto the street. Easy enough.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I haven't seen exact ground clearance numbers yet (might be in this thread?), but based on pretty solid personal experience, a 2021 Mach 1 even without HP is at least a bit lower or has a longer front overhang than a 2015 GT PP. I scrape on a small handful of driveways and inclines now that I did not with my old 2015.

So unless the earth moved noticeably in the six months between my ownership of those two vehicles, the Mach 1 has a bit more aggressive of a stance. Visually, it looks like it does to me, too.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just a few points from me :
  • Splitter design can affect ground clearance and the chance of grounding, without lowering the car (greater distance from the centre of the wheel = more chance of grounding on angle changes and driveways etc).
  • Magneride does not alter ride height with drive mode.
WD :like:

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
You guys may actually need to look underneath your car first, before engaging in an armchair debate šŸ˜‰.

The splitter/front lip is one thing, but the engine bay deflector is the real deal.
Sponsored