Sponsored

Should've got the stick

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
The OP asked a simple question, and now this is blowing up into another "18 vs prior years" debate...

To keep things on track - If you can afford it, I'd grab a manual. I dumped a lot of money into my last mustang, but ended up selling it and losing a lot on it in order to get a stick, because auto was really boring to me.

Whether you want a 17 or an 18 refresh is up to you.

Good luck!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I went with the 2017 GT Premium in Grabber Blue when I originally had my decision set on the 18's. Few reasons:

1. The 2018's are going to be expensive loaded up with the desirable options, PP2, magneride. Got my 2017 for a little over 7k off MSRP.

2. Still not sold on that front end.

3. The delay in getting the 2018's on the lots.

4. All new engine. Don't feel like being a test subject.

5. Grabber Blue is gone after 2017.

6. In a position financially to buy one custom ordered exactly how I wanted it with all options.

7. I'm going to do aftermarket bolt ons and I'll be tuning the car after some miles so the HP difference is negligible to me.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Remember Mustang II?
I do. That's why I was smart enough to say the last 20 years. The Mustang 2 was a product of the oil embargo and astronomical insurance pricing. No V8 car in the last 20 years has had to deal with either. Name one model in the last 20 years that has taken a step backwards in performance or content? You guys are starting to sound like the sour S197 guys when the S550 came out. You had no problem saying the S550 was the better car. Did you? Even though it wasn't any faster in a straight line. It's content upgrades and handling advantage made it a better car.

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
So I purchased my car back in August of 2016. The dealer offered me a deal of 0% interest, 8 grand off the total price of the car, and premium warranty all for no cost to reconsider my purchase when I found out the car was an automatic transmission. I couldn't refuse, and I gotta admit I love the absolute hell out of my car. It has been a blast. Fast forward to June, and I recently drove my friend's GT with a manual transmission, and I gotta say I miss that manual transmission.
From the looks of it there are 2 reasons you enjoyed driving the car:
1) it was a MT
2) it was a GT

If you can afford it, get a manual GT

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Personally, I LOVE my manual 17 GT w/PP!

I'd be lying if I said I compared EB to GT and manual to auto by test driving. Because I didn't. I dicked around for years figuring on a car, generation, and then another year and a half figuring out every little detail I wanted.

The one thing I was pretty solid on from the start is wanting a manual. While I've riden a bike for years and have driven other manual cars, this is the first car I've owned that is manual and it's such a different and better experience! Makes me feel more connected to the car and more of a part of mechanical system if that makes sense, compared to automatic where you really only steer the wheel and accelerate/brake.

As I said, I didn't try the EB/GT paddles, but the cars I have used sport/paddles in have all sucked! Not nearly as quick to shift/engage as a manual and somewhat nannied out so that they didn't make much of a difference anyway with pushing the car's performance.

I do agree with everyone saying to go GT as it's a blast! But coming from someone that's only driven automatics long term for 20 years...the manual is a lot more fun...in a car that is worlds of fun to begin with!

BTW, stick with the Magnetic...they are faster and perform better! :thumbsup:

-Emt1581

OP
OP
Numa210

Numa210

Numa210
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Whoa! This thread totally took on a life of its own while I was gone! It's all good.

I'm real interested in all the new tech that's gonna be in the upcoming 2018 refresh such as the power bump, digital dash, and quad exhaust. Gotta say though, that front end is hideous. Mustangs should look menacing and scream "Murrica!" This new front end just doesn't do that in my opinion, but hey maybe it'll look better in person.

Back to my original topic, I just got back from the dealership. They were more than happy to work out another deal, however it would have cost me about 11 grand in the long run. As much as I crave another manual transmission, I don't crave it enough to flush 11 grand down the toilet so it looks like I will be rockin my ole girl for now. Will now experience life some more, save up, grow up, and hopefully someday rock that dream GT with a stick later on down the road......Either that or do a transmission swap myself if i grow desperate enough. Who knows! Cheers :cheers:

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I would love to be able to jump to a GT, but insurance is the only obstacle in the way for that as I am only 22 years old. If things have changed since my credit score is much, much higher now then I may try to shoot for a GT. I plan on going to the dealership today to see if we can work something out. I'll keep you guys posted!
Find some chick with low self esteem who will be willing to marry you before the 18 comes out. Your rates will lower.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Whoa! This thread totally took on a life of its own while I was gone! It's all good.

I'm real interested in all the new tech that's gonna be in the upcoming 2018 refresh such as the power bump, digital dash, and quad exhaust. Gotta say though, that front end is hideous. Mustangs should look menacing and scream "Murrica!" This new front end just doesn't do that in my opinion, but hey maybe it'll look better in person.

Back to my original topic, I just got back from the dealership. They were more than happy to work out another deal, however it would have cost me about 11 grand in the long run. As much as I crave another manual transmission, I don't crave it enough to flush 11 grand down the toilet so it looks like I will be rockin my ole girl for now. Will now experience life some more, save up, grow up, and hopefully someday rock that dream GT with a stick later on down the road......Either that or do a transmission swap myself if i grow desperate enough. Who knows! Cheers :cheers:
This is the smart move.
Drive the car and enjoy it.
Transmission swap would be very complex and costly.

Sponsored

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
So I purchased my car back in August of 2016. The dealer offered me a deal of 0% interest, 8 grand off the total price of the car, and premium warranty all for no cost to reconsider my purchase when I found out the car was an automatic transmission. I couldn't refuse, and I gotta admit I love the absolute hell out of my car. It has been a blast. Fast forward to June, and I recently drove my friend's GT with a manual transmission, and I gotta say I miss that manual transmission.

So I'm in a dilemma. It's 4am, and I'm thinkin about trading in my car for a Mustang with a stick. I still owe about 17 grand on this car, and my local dealer is having a similar 0% interest deal going on right now. What are you guys' opinions? Is it worth checking out, or is my 4am sleep-deprived brain getting too reckless?:headbonk:
If you got 0% interest why are you paying off so much? Pay as little as possible for as long as possible. Inflation is greater than your interest rate alone! That doesn't count investing - my stocks are up 9% this year. Wouldn't have those if I were dumping my cash into a 0% interest rate loan.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Everything is personal preference. Get what you want. You'll be happy if you know the one that made the ultimate decision was you. Don't listen to us. We are but puppets to our own biased views.

Having said that: The GT PP is the most fun.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
If you got 0% interest why are you paying off so much? Pay as little as possible for as long as possible. Inflation is greater than your interest rate alone! That doesn't count investing - my stocks are up 9% this year. Wouldn't have those if I were dumping my cash into a 0% interest rate loan.
Lenders care more about your debts than your investments. Maybe he wants to buy a house in the next few years and not have to worry about that 2:1 debt offset liability.

I never really understood the concept of investing money you would otherwise use to payoff a loan. I mean in the end you might net what, a few hundred dollars? I think I'd rather be debt-free ASAP.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

Wise choice, learn to love what you have and who you are right now, and you will save a ton of money, and will live a much happier life. Any improvements over time will make you that much happier. Too many people live in the "I will be happy when..." circle, and it never ends. Happiness is internal not external, there is always something/someone seemingly more desirable if you let yourself look. :D :cheers:

All the best to you!

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Lenders care more about your debts than your investments. Maybe he wants to buy a house in the next few years and not have to worry about that 2:1 debt offset liability.

I never really understood the concept of investing money you would otherwise use to payoff a loan. I mean in the end you might net what, a few hundred dollars? I think I'd rather be debt-free ASAP.
There's no such thing as a bad 0% interest debt. That is free up-front money. The bank is losing
Sponsored