Should these be backlit?

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I totally agree that Ford is cheaping out. That was the point of my post that started this whole discussion. My other point was that they can get away with it because there is no other option for a V8 RWD car at this price point. I am not defending Ford, but I am being pragmatic.
Maybe they are cheaping out also because they are no longer afraid of repercussions from the bad record. The days of Mustang seems to be counted.

On the other hand the number of sold Mustangs is probably insignificant compared to the more mass friendly models, so unless Ford is cheaping out on all of them, doing it on Mustangs only, would not save much, and would not be worth the potential backlash from the public.
Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Maybe they are cheaping out also because they are no longer afraid of repercussions from the bad record. The days of Mustang seems to be counted.

On the other hand the number of sold Mustangs is probably insignificant compared to the more mass friendly models, so unless Ford is cheaping out on all of them, doing it on Mustangs only, would not save much, and would not be worth the potential backlash from the public.
Ford has always cheaped out compared to more premium brands. But Ford is not alone, Chevy/Buick and Dodge/Chrysler also cheap out. Makes like Mazda, Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, etc also cheap out, but they make up for it by designing in quality so you don't notice it as much.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
I checked back in on this thread mostly out of curiosity to see if someone had figured out if the back light could be installed. (Not relevant to me, cause I have a 6 speed.)

What I found was an interesting discussion regarding cost, quality, and the direction of American manufacturing. Iā€™ll quickly chime in, not with a solution or opinion, but a simple observation.

I owned not one, but two 2015 GTs. (6 sp PP hardtop, and 6 speed auto convertible, no PP.) I generally avoid first year models as I feel a year or two in the cars get better when manufacturers figure out all the problems they didnā€™t anticipate.)

I will say without question, the fit, finish, paint, and overall construction of the 2015s was better than my 2022 Mach 1. While the new car handles better, has more power, and sounds better. (I a,so understand this is a small sample size, 3 vehicles out of the tens of thousands Ford builds.)

In 7 years IMO, Ford has found a way to make the car much, much better, and worse at the same time. The Mach is clearly a better performing car, but overall the interior seems somehow cheaper, the paint seems to be not as well laid in the car, and the panel fitment isnā€™t as even or clean.

Not saying Iā€™m 100% correct about this, time will tell which car is really better. This is just my observation, based on a few weeks ownership with the Mach, versus the few years I had the 2015s.

Oh, and on a side note, my 2018 F150 Raptor is a lot better than any Mustang Iā€™ve owned. (Iā€™ve had 10) Better quality interior, paint, and panel fitmentā€¦.so Ford can build a quality vehicle.

I love my new ride, but for 67k, my expectations were a little higher.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I added the glove box light back in on my '22 because it absolutely pissed me off that Ford cheeped out on such a small thing and didn't care at all how shitty it looked. The plug wasn't there after disassembling the whole glove box and a good chunk of the dash and center console. It's bullshit, dumb little things they think don't matter make them a few hundred thousand across the entire production line but cost so dearly in quality reputation which they have so little of.

Bobby4v

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
I added the glove box light back in on my '22 because it absolutely pissed me off that Ford cheeped out on such a small thing and didn't care at all how shitty it looked. The plug wasn't there after disassembling the whole glove box and a good chunk of the dash and center console. It's bullshit, dumb little things they think don't matter make them a few hundred thousand across the entire production line but cost so dearly in quality reputation which they have so little of.
So glad I found this thread, I went from an 18 GT that was a base and in my new 22 GT I go to upgrade the glovebox bulb with diode dynamics kit and I canā€™t find a glove box light. I was starting to think my car was built without the option for it ? But itā€™s a premium GT that is optioned out, so I began to search if they just removed it all together. If you donā€™t mind asking where did you go about installing the light back in and where did you purchase the wiring harness/parts. Iā€™d love to have it back as itā€™s so irritating every time I go to reach in it.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
So glad I found this thread, I went from an 18 GT that was a base and in my new 22 GT I go to upgrade the glovebox bulb with diode dynamics kit and I canā€™t find a glove box light. I was starting to think my car was built without the option for it ? But itā€™s a premium GT that is optioned out, so I began to search if they just removed it all together. If you donā€™t mind asking where did you go about installing the light back in and where did you purchase the wiring harness/parts. Iā€™d love to have it back as itā€™s so irritating every time I go to reach in it.
I just bought the housing from Tasca but the wiring I had to make up. I went to the power point in the lower dash below the climate controls for power.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Find me a V8 in a true premium brand that is at the same price point.

It's all tied to the development cost of an engine that has limited application. The fact that the Coyote is used in the best selling vehicle in America (the F150) along with our Mustangs spreads that cost out and makes our cars affordable. But in the end, we are still buying a Ford, and Fords have never been known as "premium" cars. Compared to BMWs and Volvos (two "premium-ish" brands that I have owned), there is just no comparison, especially in the small details.

What really bothers me about Ford these days is that they are not designing in quality. Quality can be designed in with no impact on manufacturing cost (and possibly even a reduction in cost). The industry-wide recognition that quality is "Problem #1" at Ford proves that they have totally missed the boat on this one.
Why build in quality, on a car most will wrap around a tree or pole,etc before it has 20k on it. The number of s550's in yards with under 12k on them is crazy.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
My experience with built quality:

2016 GT Premium: Overall solid, good panel alignment and even gaps; interior quality very cheap feeling, lots of hard plastic but put together fine

2019 Bullitt: A little sloppy, hood alignment and rear bumper panel alignment off; panel gaps uneven in some spots but the dark highland green hides that pretty well; steering wheel put together poorly with a significant hump at 1 oā€™clock

2021 Mach 1: Overall best so far, silver reveals the smallest panel misalignment, nothing to complain about so far

I guess it really depends on who put the parts together that go in the car and who builds it.

Donā€™t care much about lack of glove box light as I donā€™t really use the glove box but itā€™s pretty ridiculous that cut a corner there.

TW Merema

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Iā€™m on my first Mustang (a 2020 that has a glove box light, btw), but having owned many F-150ā€™s in the past I can say the 2014 was by far the nicest interior, materials and construction wise. I always bought Super crew XLT 4x4ā€™s, with 6.5ā€™ beds. I replaced the 2014 with a 2018, same exact configuration. The 18 felt much cheaper inside, but drove better. I decided to try a loaded out Lariat, also a 2018 but this one had a sticker price of $70k. Interior was a teeny bit better, but still not as well built as the 2014. I even looked at King Ranches, and while the seats were amazing the rest left a lot to be desired. Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, they all have gotten cheaper feeling in the past 10 years. Everyone wants gadgets, quality be damned.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I donā€™t mean to offend anyone, so please donā€™t take this as such, but I donā€™t understand why anyone on the planet gives a crap about the glovebox light. How often are you people opening your glovebox, and how often is it at night? I bought a V8 sports car, take the glove box out completely for all I careā€¦

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I donā€™t mean to offend anyone, so please donā€™t take this as such, but I donā€™t understand why anyone on the planet gives a crap about the glovebox light. How often are you people opening your glovebox, and how often is it at night? I bought a V8 sports car, take the glove box out completely for all I careā€¦
So you'd pay $40K+ for an '88 Camaro? I paid for a full features car and I'm not going to just accept a company taking those features away to squeeze a little more profit at my expense. And, I daily my car. Sometimes I have to get into the glove box at night.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So you'd pay $40K+ for an '88 Camaro? I paid for a full features car and I'm not going to just accept a company taking those features away to squeeze a little more profit at my expense. And, I daily my car. Sometimes I have to get into the glove box at night.
If you donā€™t understand the difference between a ā€˜21 V8 sports car and an ā€˜88 one then yeah, you prolly do want a glovebox light.

If it makes you feel better, I bought a modern day V8 sports car, take the glovebox out for all I care.

And for the record, I would JUMP at the chance to buy a ā€˜71 Cuda with a V8 for $40k, even though it doesnā€™t have a glovebox light.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
If you donā€™t understand the difference between a ā€˜21 V8 sports car and an ā€˜88 one then yeah, you prolly do want a glovebox light.

If it makes you feel better, I bought a modern day V8 sports car, take the glovebox out for all I care.

And for the record, I would JUMP at the chance to buy a ā€˜71 Cuda with a V8 for $40k, even though it doesnā€™t have a glovebox light.
Not that I'd want to daily a 70's Mopar at this point, but if I recall even they had a light mounted above the cardboard liner thing in the glove box.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not that I'd want to daily a 70's Mopar at this point, but if I recall even they had a light mounted above the cardboard liner thing in the glove box.
You could take the light out and Iā€™d still be just as happy šŸ˜‚