Should I sell mine?

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Doesn't surprise me as there's been reports with Carvana paying way more than others and I think they are now struggling a tad. Although logging on their website and just looking at available trucks, most are "pending."
I kept an eye on mine. They sold it for $1,300 more than they paid me and it took then a day or 2 after it was listed. Damn i miss that truck.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
As already mentioned - just because it's a Mach 1 and yes, produced in limited volume - as far as a value or future collectibility - it's all going to depend only on these (4) main factors:

1) Lowest Chasss # vs higher (unless the last Chassis # is in the hands of someone).

2) If the car is still completely in the wrapper and has not been Dealer prepped at all. This means the car was taken off the delivery transport, loaded on another transport/trailer and dropped into someone's garage, storage unit or the so called "barn". Essentially a "no mileage", still sealed/stickered vehicle as it came off the assembly line.

3) If it's an "unwrapped" car, it better have low miles, still appear new in/out and retains all documentation to its pedigree.

4) Other: Ownership count, accident or no accident, modded vs. not modded, still retains the Mach 1 specific applied logos/stripe packages, etc.

Put it this way, if the car (** ANY Limited Edition or low build pedigree from any Manufacturer) doesn't fall into the above categories - it's just another mass produced vehicle with only its "Limited Status" that sets it apart. It won't command the same value as a vehicle that falls into the buckets above - it just won't, not even 50 years from today.

The ONLY reason vehicles from the 50-70's are highly sought after and extremely valuable (in some instances) is because they were daily driven cars that NO ONE cared about and disposed of them like paper cups. They're highly sought after because there's so few of them left today and they're totally unique in and of themselves.

A current S550 Mach 1 isn't a "trophy car" or "investment grade" unless again, it has to be bucketed into the categories mentioned for it to not only get top dollar in the future, but to retain its value above all others.

If anyone bought any "Limited Edition" S550 as an "investment", and you're driving it as a daily, modifying it, or racing it, removing its specific As Built parts or branding, sorry to say, but it's just not investment grade and future value is no more than someone is willing to pay for that "used car".

The same is true with any of the S550 Shelby GT350, GT350R or the GT500. There's a huge difference in what someone can get when talking "investment grade" vs "yea, I bought it to drive it".

One other thing too - Limited Edition doesn't mean much when Ford keeps producing the same "Limited Edition" for 2-3-5 years, and the market is saturated - with the only differences being the actual model year and/or exterior colors...

The only S550 that is truly Limited at this stage is the 2015 50Th Anniversary Edition, which only 1,964 examples were ever built. It has unique parts that aren't on other S550's, which can't be purchased through normal channels. Granted these aren't "performance spec'd" like a Shelby or Mach 1, BUT my point is - they ARE truly "Limited" to a 1-year only build and an extremely low build count. Don't be surprised if these exceed the values of the Shelby/Mach 1 pedigrees down the road - because 1) a 50th Anniversary of a specific production vehicle only comes once, 2) very low volume, and 3) a 1-year only model.
This. Especially the bold.

As for the second bold, true rarity with cars like this just doesn't happen as easily with the relative lack of options and interior/exterior color choices. I wonder if there will be anything close to a 1-of-1 in a '21-'22 Mach 1.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
This. Especially the bold.

As for the second bold, true rarity with cars like this just doesn't happen as easily with the relative lack of options and interior/exterior color choices. I wonder if there will be anything close to a 1-of-1 in a '21-'22 Mach 1.
obviously not 1 of 1, but the rarest build i can think of would be an HP car, 600a, likely in yellow or orange, with a rear seat delete. Given the complications of building HP cars, the orders cancelled, and the availability of the rsd, thats what my money would be on.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
The mass produced cars of the 60s (take the mustang for example) outsold current mustangs by like 10 fold. They cost $3k brand new and now cost $40k. All that being said, if you bought your Mustang just cause it’s supposed to be worth more in 10-20 years you F’ed up. 40-50 years maybe? Idk. Keep your car and do some sweet burnouts in it.
In 1978, when I bought my 1967 390GTA Fastback, it to most people was just a used car. I paid $1750 for it with 135K miles and missing some parts for the rear folding seat back. I sold it 10 years later (1989)after rebuilding the engine and painting it for $3250 with about 275K miles on it. Five years later you couldn't buy it for less than $30K, who knew? Heck 7 or 8 years ago '69 & '70 Fastbacks were available for $5k here in CA, now they are crazy money too.

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sierra, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
I haven’t seen this discussed in here, but something I think that will increase the price of the Mach 1, 350, or 500 down the road will be if it comes with the original owners kit. I often wonder seeing all the used 350s and Mach 1s for sale if they have the owners kit. The price of most used cars today are crazy high, I am not paying over sticker price for a used car. I did get a great price on my one owner low mileage ‘19. But if I was looking for a 350 or Mach 1, I would walk away unless it had the owners kit or I would haggle the crap out of the dealer on the price. May not seem like much, but 20-30 years down the road, that kit could play a part in the value.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
In 1978, when I bought my 1967 390GTA Fastback, it to most people was just a used car. I paid $1750 for it with 135K miles and missing some parts for the rear folding seat back. I sold it 10 years later (1989)after rebuilding the engine and painting it for $3250 with about 275K miles on it. Five years later you couldn't buy it for less than $30K, who knew? Heck 7 or 8 years ago '69 & '70 Fastbacks were available for $5k here in CA, now they are crazy money too.
Five or six years ago my brother bought a super nice, low-mile, 6-cylinder Calypso Coral '69 fastback sight unseen off a Craigslist ad for $14K to use as a base for a Boss 429 clone. I thought he was nuts at the time paying that much for it, being a six car. Guess who's laughing now?

600.jpg

Last edited:

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
Will be selling a 67 GT fastback “S” code 4spd car real soon. I wonder how much it’s going to sell for.

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Will be selling a 67 GT fastback “S” code 4spd car real soon. I wonder how much it’s going to sell for.
Selling my '67 was one of the dumbest things I ever did, but I had no room for it.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Selling my '67 was one of the dumbest things I ever did, but I had no room for it.
I still miss my first Mustang 68 coupe. I look for it all the time on EBay. I still remember the VIN, one car I would love to have back.

Sponsored

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
As long as you had good memories that is all that matters.
I remember E.T. 14:24 @ 94mph with an open rear and 3.00 gears. Damn I wish I'd put gears and posi in it before I sold it. 3.75 and 2 wheels driving, would have got me a second of E.T. and maybe it would have shifted into 3rd before the end of 1320ft. The 390 would get over 17MPG on long trips though. 75mph @ 1800rpm in the days of 55 Limit. At speed limit it was barely over idle, and got crap mileage.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Honestly, the car market is slowing down. The days of "more than you paid" are over. If you tried this last summer, you would be getting way more.

Just my opinion. I always wanted my GT350, which is why I bought it. This car has a personality, and assuming there is no reason I need to sell, plan to keep it until I die. Then maybe be buried in it. :crackup:

If you don't have that love for it I would sell it. But you won't make your $$$ back ever again.
This is flat out wrong….as of right now things are getting worse from an inventory stand point.

Hoose71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
84, 13, 13, 21, 22 Mustangs, 72 Nova Rally
1) Lowest Chasss # vs higher (unless the last Chassis # is in the hands of someone).

2) If the car is still completely in the wrapper and has not been Dealer prepped at all. This means the car was taken off the delivery transport, loaded on another transport/trailer and dropped into someone's garage, storage unit or the so called "barn". Essentially a "no mileage", still sealed/stickered vehicle as it came off the assembly line.

3) If it's an "unwrapped" car, it better have low miles, still appear new in/out and retains all documentation to its pedigree.
Well I'm busy trashing one of the earliest built ones, so much for that then. Guess I won't be getting rich in the future. :cwl:

I heard the same thing about the car originally planned to be a Boss before the Mach E backlash. Not sure if it's true but it's plausible since the Mach E was originally called Mach 1. Who knows though.

Last edited:

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
Different driver? Different driving conditions? With all else held equal, 350R will beat Mach1 every time. Facts are facts
Exactly. However everyone here likes to overlook that in the C&D LL test the 350R ran in 2016!!! Tires have come a long way since then. Way too many variables to compare. We need to crowdfund a the same driver at the same track same day test between Mach 1 HP and 350R both with new identical tires, good alignment, fresh brake fluid and pads. I wonder if we could hire Randy Pobst? I think the Mach 1 would come close, but I don't see how it would beat a 350R.
Sponsored

Last edited: