Sponsored

Shifter Install-interior trim removal

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Ive watched a few youtube install videos on shifters. I have an MGW race spec on the way and will be getting it in this weekend while I have my trans out for a new clutch.

The MGW install vid suggests removing the entire center console to get the stock shifter out, but several other videos I've found (CJPP for one) show the chrome trim ring and boot to be the only interior pieces being removed.

Im always hesitant to mess with interiror trim panels, because I know those clips like to break. Can I get away with removing the trim ring by itself? I figure the less I remove, the less likely I am to break plastic clips

Thanks
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
The clips in that trim ring are more likely to break than the ones holding the center console in place. If you maul the chrome ring, I'm not sure how easy it is to replace without taking the entire console out anyway.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Get a plastic trim removal kit like this.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Dashb...id=1568844835&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-14

You may be able to do it with your hands. Either way try to pry on the black plastic base under the chrome ring. Remove the rubber tray cover in the front and start there. If the chrome ring breaks away from the black plastic it is OK since it is all made of ABS, and you can glue it back together with old school plastic model glue. I have removed the trim three times and glued it twice.

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I was pretty worried about this myself, i actually removed the large consol piece and not the small chrome piece. was actaully not too bad. The clips around the small arm rest / storage compartment require some oomf. The shifter install should be a cake walk with the tranny out. cant go wrong with mgw.
Sponsored