dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Hi all,

Installed a steeda street short throw shifter and shifter bushing bracket. Install was not fun on jack stands. At any rate, I have a couple questions:

1. Steeda includes a black rubber piece in the install bag for the shifter. I don't see anything about using it. I've attached a pic.

2. With the steeda short throw, I notice that now you only thread a shift knob on with a few rotations. Any issues with this?

3. I also installed a shift solutions shift knob. I take it that I have to use the nut so that I don't mess with the reverse lock out? Since it then doesn't get completely tight (just slightly snug) do I need to apply blue loctite to keep it in place or am I missing something?

4. I haven't tested with the car on, but it seems like going into reverse isn't as pronounced as before? My guess is I'll get used to it - it could also just be that the reverse lockout doesn't have me lift as far up as stock either. If that makes sense.

Thanks!

20230430_184123.jpg
Sponsored

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Maybe I’m lost but I don’t see an attachment…?

No issues on my end, just a couple rotations… all good so far.

I cannot use the nut or the knob won’t go on enough, I use (a lot) of blue loctite and have zero issues.

Going into reverse (as well as other gears) feel changes, you get used to it.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I got mine installed professionally so can only advise my experience using it. Took me a long time to get used to the very short and direct movement and the added force needed to change gears. Really didn’t like it and nearly was going to reinstall the OEM shifter but gave myself a few months to see how it went. I am used to it now but can’t say I love it. But I didn’t love the OEM either but it was smoother. not sure if this helps but is my experience.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The supplied rubber piece is to be trimmed down and inserted into the knob before screwing it onto the shift lever. I tried this with my Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter and the threads in the knob disintegrated on the first short drive.

I ended up ordering a Steeda knob and using a jam nut to have adjustability and now it’s perfect.

OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Thanks both. Sorry I attached the photo.

Since I'm using an aftermarket knob, I don't need to use the rubber piece then?

Good to know there is in fact a change in feel on the reverse lockout.

If I have to use blue lockout, should I just go ahead and not use the supplied nut? Any reason really to? Seems I could screw the ball in further then hence shortening the shift further?

Thanks.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks both. Sorry I attached the photo.

Since I'm using an aftermarket knob, I don't need to use the rubber piece then?

Good to know there is in fact a change in feel on the reverse lockout.

If I have to use blue lockout, should I just go ahead and not use the supplied nut? Any reason really to? Seems I could screw the ball in further then hence shortening the shift further?

Thanks.
If yours came with a jam nut, I would recommend using it to avoid the possibility of having the knob come loose on you. Blue loctite alone can break down from heat.

I used the jam nut and blue loctite on mine and it’s been rocksteady, steady rocking’ all night long.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
I just used some metal washers on the top of the lever to make my raceseng shift knob work. It allows you to raise the height of the knob so the reverse lock up can pull up high enough to engage.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just a final update on the above for anyone considering this mod. I ended up keeping the short shift but recently also got a weighted shift knob to help smooth out the shifts. It has made ALL the difference. Went for drive in the country yesterday and realised I was no longer concentrating on the feel of the shifts anymore, rather just rowing thru the gears and enjoying the drive. All now as it should be. cheers

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thought I would add another final update for anyone who is interested.. A few months down the track after installing the Steeda Street short shift and a weighted shift knob and my shifts are smooth, short, precise and an easy glide into gear.. no more forced changes and the mechanical notchiness. All the previous issues are gone and I am very happy. I cannot see what difference a new bracket would make.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Thought I would add another final update for anyone who is interested.. A few months down the track after installing the Steeda Street short shift and a weighted shift knob and my shifts are smooth, short, precise and an easy glide into gear.. no more forced changes and the mechanical notchiness. All the previous issues are gone and I am very happy. I cannot see what difference a new bracket would make.
glad to hear it. I also have a weighted shift knob. I recently added the whiteline trans bushing insert and it helps the shift feel as well. I drilled a 1inch hole in the middle.
Sponsored