Mastodon2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
We need a dislike button!
Is the GT350 cluster plug & play, besides needing the correct mileage added?
It’d probably be similar to the same process as the digital gauge swap. Not sure though. I didn’t look into it. Didn’t seem worth it to me just to get a shift light and a digital speedometer.
  • Compressing the speedometer sweep to add the 160-200 range didn't make sense for me going around town in a daily driver.
  • An 8500RPM tach on a car that’s 6500 seemed weird.
  • I’d lose the MyColor, which while minor, I like all my interior lights being the same color (like on cars of yesteryear)and since the buttons and controls are ice blue, MyColor lets me set my gauges to match.
  • And there’s cost. I didn’t want to spend $400 on a used gauge cluster, AND pay someone to change the odometer, especially after just paying $500 to add the performance pack gauges to my car (it’s a non-PP model.)
Spending $50-100 to hack this together seemed better for me. Plus, I get multi-colored shift lights; the GT350’s are a single color. Win-win!

Look around on the forum or on YouTube. I’m sure there’s someone who swapped in the GT350 cluster and described how to do it.
Sponsored

cnsysn2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
bocai sports
Vehicle(s)
mustang
如果可以在最左边 占用一些空间 显示当前档位、车速。那么更加完美

OP
OP

Mastodon2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So, I know I said that this is for cars with the Adaptive Cruise Control, but...that's only because it includes the HUD. If you don't have that already, you can buy the new defroster grille and HUD module for less than $200. Don't think there's anything else needed, but I've been wrong before.

Defroster Grille
HR3Z-63044E82-AA

HUD Module
FR3Z-19G468-A

Also, and probably more importantly, I've uploaded the Arduino code to GitHub. https://github.com/JMPhotos/OBDII-HUD/tree/master/1. Arduino
I'm traveling for the rest of this month, so it'll be sometime afterwards before I can get the code for the app up there, since it's on a computer I don't have with me. However, I provided an alternative option that works too. It's just not as gucci as mine.

The initial posts have been updated to reflect.

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
This is awesome! Finally someone that took on the challenge. Unfortunately I'm way too lazy to do it lol.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
如果可以在最左边 占用一些空间 显示当前档位、车速。那么更加完美

嗨,欢迎来到论坛。您觉得野马怎么样,并对其进行了修改?

Sponsored

dougal19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
So, I know I said that this is for cars with the Adaptive Cruise Control, but...that's only because it includes the HUD. If you don't have that already, you can buy the new defroster grille and HUD module for less than $200. Don't think there's anything else needed, but I've been wrong before.

Defroster Grille
HR3Z-63044E82-AA

HUD Module
FR3Z-19G468-A

Also, and probably more importantly, I've uploaded the Arduino code to GitHub. https://github.com/JMPhotos/OBDII-HUD/tree/master/1. Arduino
I'm traveling for the rest of this month, so it'll be sometime afterwards before I can get the code for the app up there, since it's on a computer I don't have with me. However, I provided an alternative option that works too. It's just not as gucci as mine.

The initial posts have been updated to reflect.
Great project and write up! I'm a little confused though, does this use the HUD module or did you make your own with new LED's? If I wanted to recreate this can I just buy the grille, HUD module and arduino and wire it up?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
And he says "I’m not great when it comes to electrical engineering," :)

Excellent idea. My Bullitt has the shift warning on the dash with the tone but you can't hear that at all over the exhaust so it's pretty useless for avoiding the rev limiter and keeping your eyes on the road.

Kona5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
For, anyone looking back at this thread wondering if it can still be done. I was able to get it up an working made some minor adjustments to the OPs code. I noticed he had 18 LEDs from what I counted in the video. But the code reads 23. I meant to cut my strip to 23 but miscounted and cut on 21.

Which in the end still works out because, you can only cut every 3 LEDs with this strip. If you cut 23 only 21 would light. If you want 23 you have to cut 24 then program not to light the last LED.

That was pretty straightforward just tinkering with that and finding the correct positioning. Having 21 LEDs you may rack your brain a little on how its supposed to meet at the center. Because, if you divide it it comes out to 10.5. OP addressed this already. I came up with for me counting 2 on both sides as the strip. Then counting up on both sides outside in.Eventually you come up with 11 being the middle LED. Odd numbers will have 1 LED as the middle and even numbers will meet between 2.

After waiting nearly a month for the OBD ll adapter to come from international shipping. I finally got it. Buttoned everything together. Not permanently yet as I still needed to established it even can work. Anyway I uploaded the code ran no error messages. Plugged it in and…

It did not work I was sitting there revving my car that I just spent $100 on nothing. After reading countless forums on this Freematics guy I found that he doesn’t email anyone back anymore. So I had thought id just been scammed.

Read countless forums on other people not getting the the OBD to initialize properly. Nobody got an answer on what was going on.

In true programmer fashion. Instead of spending all night banging my head against the wall. I slept on it. I woke up, thinking that I must not have the data ports correctly plugged in. I unplug and untwist the wires. Do it again paying more attention. Green to Rx and White to Tx.

Re-upload the code. Low and behold I get a getsync error message. Which means the computer chip on the Arduino is failing to connect to the IDE program on the computer. I double and triple checked my USB connection and it was fine.

I go on an Arduino forum and found someone who mentioned the chips need Tx and Rx default ports free for programming.

Okay so I unplug. Upload and it doesn’t bleed anymore. Plug it back in in the correct orientation. Back to the car I go fingers crossed.

Plugged into the OBD. Fired up the car, then I had a working RPM light.

If you really want to avoid unplugging the data ports for the OBD ll when programing you can assign it to different ports. But the defaults still work.

Attached is my setup. Mind you… not the final setup to make it look pretty. But the setup to make sure everything works. The board game box is just easier for me to carry it over to the car all together.
image.jpg

Thanks for the write-up on this OP😎.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For, anyone looking back at this thread wondering if it can still be done. I was able to get it up an working made some minor adjustments to the OPs code. I noticed he had 18 LEDs from what I counted in the video. But the code reads 23. I meant to cut my strip to 23 but miscounted and cut on 21.

Which in the end still works out because, you can only cut every 3 LEDs with this strip. If you cut 23 only 21 would light. If you want 23 you have to cut 24 then program not to light the last LED.

That was pretty straightforward just tinkering with that and finding the correct positioning. Having 21 LEDs you may rack your brain a little on how its supposed to meet at the center. Because, if you divide it it comes out to 10.5. OP addressed this already. I came up with for me counting 2 on both sides as the strip. Then counting up on both sides outside in.Eventually you come up with 11 being the middle LED. Odd numbers will have 1 LED as the middle and even numbers will meet between 2.

After waiting nearly a month for the OBD ll adapter to come from international shipping. I finally got it. Buttoned everything together. Not permanently yet as I still needed to established it even can work. Anyway I uploaded the code ran no error messages. Plugged it in and…

It did not work I was sitting there revving my car that I just spent $100 on nothing. After reading countless forums on this Freematics guy I found that he doesn’t email anyone back anymore. So I had thought id just been scammed.

Read countless forums on other people not getting the the OBD to initialize properly. Nobody got an answer on what was going on.

In true programmer fashion. Instead of spending all night banging my head against the wall. I slept on it. I woke up, thinking that I must not have the data ports correctly plugged in. I unplug and untwist the wires. Do it again paying more attention. Green to Rx and White to Tx.

Re-upload the code. Low and behold I get a getsync error message. Which means the computer chip on the Arduino is failing to connect to the IDE program on the computer. I double and triple checked my USB connection and it was fine.

I go on an Arduino forum and found someone who mentioned the chips need Tx and Rx default ports free for programming.

Okay so I unplug. Upload and it doesn’t bleed anymore. Plug it back in in the correct orientation. Back to the car I go fingers crossed.

Plugged into the OBD. Fired up the car, then I had a working RPM light.

If you really want to avoid unplugging the data ports for the OBD ll when programing you can assign it to different ports. But the defaults still work.

Attached is my setup. Mind you… not the final setup to make it look pretty. But the setup to make sure everything works. The board game box is just easier for me to carry it over to the car all together.
image.jpg

Thanks for the write-up on this OP😎.
@Kona5.0h
Have you since installed it and if so, how is it functioning?

Kona5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
@Kona5.0h
Have you since installed it and if so, how is it functioning?
Has been installed and functions as expected. Ran into some hiccups because with the OBD device that connects to the port, in that it drained the battery. At first I had an in line switch however the switch was after the device so it still drained the battery. I since purchased an OBD extension cable that has a switch.

as far at the program I still have to do some tinkering possibly with the rpm shift point. But that is a very straightforward alteration.

before getting it installed in its final position I made sure it worked as expected. By lowering down that shift point. Plugged in and I just put it in the board game box and put it on the passenger seat. Drove around the block and it was good. I can add a video of the startup animation.

Kona5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
Has been installed and functions as expected. Ran into some hiccups because with the OBD device that connects to the port, in that it drained the battery. At first I had an in line switch however the switch was after the device so it still drained the battery. I since purchased an OBD extension cable that has a switch.

as far at the program I still have to do some tinkering possibly with the rpm shift point. But that is a very straightforward alteration.

before getting it installed in its final position I made sure it worked as expected. By lowering down that shift point. Plugged in and I just put it in the board game box and put it on the passenger seat. Drove around the block and it was good. I can add a video of the startup animation.
My custom startup sequence:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cfUqvtwXg5o3JFFz5y5QOufQ
Sponsored