Sponsored

ShelBoss

ShelBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hi! Just a quick introduction and thanks for having a forum focused on the new GT350s.
I just took delivery of a 2019 GT350R in Velocity Blue. Yes, this is the car I've waited all my life for.
It looks good in my garage next to my 1970 Boss 302 and other Mustangs. Sadly, I had to sacrifice my 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca for it. But I believe I will get over this quickly. I'm an MCA National Director, Gold Card Judge, SAAC member and Shelby enthusiast. I've been known to flog a car or two around some tracks east of the Mississippi, but am looking to improve those skills. While I have a functional garage, restored a few early Mustangs, and currently have a '67 GT convertible on a rotisserie in my garage, I'm a little intimidated about modifying my new Shelby. So I'm here to learn and get over some of those fears. And yes, I fell asleep reading the owners manual and slept in the car the first night. Doesn't everyone? :)

So here's some initial thoughts, I'd like some help with:
1) 350R Wheels: Love the carbon fiber rims but before I curb one, they'll need to go on a rack in my garage and come out for track use only. Replacements have to look exactly like the GT350R carbon fiber wheel - no exceptions. LMR has the SVE 350R rims, which are reasonably priced. But they only come in 10" and 11", preventing me from putting OEM size tires on the car. I heard there was a manufacture that advertised here that has what I'm looking for; please advise. Having one custom made is a bit too expensive. And yes, I know about the long front wheel studs and the open lug nuts I'd have to use. Any additional discussion on staggered versus square would be good to hear.

2) Tires: Love the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s; at least on the track. But as I nearly killed myself with the Pirelli PZero Corsa Rosas that came standard on my 13 Boss 302 LS, I'm not a fan of extreme summer performance tires - especially in the North East. But I have a new love: the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Michelin told me this tire is the next generation successor to the Pilot Super Sports. In the real world on the street, this tire is impressive. And I've run a few laps with them.at Thunderbolt, Lightning, Indy & Watkins Glen.

So if I stay with the factory size, add 5-6 lbs per wheel, and use the Mich PS4S - any thoughts? Will it change the handling characteristics of the car or cause the magna ride dampers to be re-calibrated?

3) Noise: My car makes a low vibrating hum emanating from the front left corner of the car. It's not RPM related, and gets louder on rough roads (its accentuated with every road seam on the interstate). It's an NHV caused noise for sure and I know nothing is wrong or broken. But something is loose. I took it back to the dealer less than a week after delivery; they road tested the car, heard the noise but couldn't find it. I'm thinking exhaust heat shield? Brake shield? I'm thinking a second trip to the dealer. Anyone hear anything like this?

Thanks again!
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
As for wheels, there’s only one R replica option. Vibe Motorsports. They’re a vender here and have a whole thread on R replica wheels. One piece forged, exact R specs (size and offsets), plenty of caliper clearance, great finish, and keep stock lug nut configuration. Don’t buy anything else if you’re committed to a replica wheel.

*in case you notice my lugs, this is not on an R. The ones they make for your R will look identical to stock. You can find pics in their thread and you’ll see.

A5E4587A-94A3-44D0-9E9B-08186F51527B.jpeg

OP
OP
ShelBoss

ShelBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
As for wheels, there’s only one R replica option. Vibe Motorsports. They’re a vender here and have a whole thread on R replica wheels. One piece forged, exact R specs (size and offsets), plenty of caliper clearance, great finish, and keep stock lug nut configuration. Don’t buy anything else if you’re committed to a replica wheel.

*in case you notice my lugs, this is not on an R. The ones they make for your R will look identical to stock. You can find pics in their thread and you’ll see.

A5E4587A-94A3-44D0-9E9B-08186F51527B.jpeg
Thank you! Where / How do I find them here on the forum? They look great!

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Hi! Just a quick introduction and thanks for having a forum focused on the new GT350s.
I just took delivery of a 2019 GT350R in Velocity Blue. Yes, this is the car I've waited all my life for.
It looks good in my garage next to my 1970 Boss 302 and other Mustangs. Sadly, I had to sacrifice my 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca for it. But I believe I will get over this quickly. I'm an MCA National Director, Gold Card Judge, SAAC member and Shelby enthusiast. I've been known to flog a car or two around some tracks east of the Mississippi, but am looking to improve those skills. While I have a functional garage, restored a few early Mustangs, and currently have a '67 GT convertible on a rotisserie in my garage, I'm a little intimidated about modifying my new Shelby. So I'm here to learn and get over some of those fears. And yes, I fell asleep reading the owners manual and slept in the car the first night. Doesn't everyone? :)

So here's some initial thoughts, I'd like some help with:
1) 350R Wheels: Love the carbon fiber rims but before I curb one, they'll need to go on a rack in my garage and come out for track use only. Replacements have to look exactly like the GT350R carbon fiber wheel - no exceptions. LMR has the SVE 350R rims, which are reasonably priced. But they only come in 10" and 11", preventing me from putting OEM size tires on the car. I heard there was a manufacture that advertised here that has what I'm looking for; please advise. Having one custom made is a bit too expensive. And yes, I know about the long front wheel studs and the open lug nuts I'd have to use. Any additional discussion on staggered versus square would be good to hear.

2) Tires: Love the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s; at least on the track. But as I nearly killed myself with the Pirelli PZero Corsa Rosas that came standard on my 13 Boss 302 LS, I'm not a fan of extreme summer performance tires - especially in the North East. But I have a new love: the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Michelin told me this tire is the next generation successor to the Pilot Super Sports. In the real world on the street, this tire is impressive. And I've run a few laps with them.at Thunderbolt, Lightning, Indy & Watkins Glen.

So if I stay with the factory size, add 5-6 lbs per wheel, and use the Mich PS4S - any thoughts? Will it change the handling characteristics of the car or cause the magna ride dampers to be re-calibrated?

3) Noise: My car makes a low vibrating hum emanating from the front left corner of the car. It's not RPM related, and gets louder on rough roads (its accentuated with every road seam on the interstate). It's an NHV caused noise for sure and I know nothing is wrong or broken. But something is loose. I took it back to the dealer less than a week after delivery; they road tested the car, heard the noise but couldn't find it. I'm thinking exhaust heat shield? Brake shield? I'm thinking a second trip to the dealer. Anyone hear anything like this?

Thanks again!
Obviously we all have different ideas of what we should do with our new HP Mustangs once we receive them but for me I like to drive and enjoy them exactly the way that they came from the factory.

Just a suggestion but maybe drive your new R with the CF wheels and Cup 2 tires for a while and see how that all goes instead of purchasing a complete new set of wheels and tires?

If you change over to a different set of rims there will be more than 5 or 6 pounds difference of unsprung rotating mass for each wheel and not sure if the MagneRide tuning/dampers will be affected to a great degree?

I do recall after purchasing a 2016 R model that the dealership had forgot to remove a couple of polyurethane shipping blocks in the suspension after I purchased the car and after taking them out I had to get my suspension recalibrated but that is another story.

I was also very fortunate to own a couple of 2012 LS cars and absolutely loved the P Zero Corsa tires and found them to be superior to the Cup 2 tires for my overall around driving style but if I recall the treadwear rating was ~50 but again just loved those tires. I drove those cars like I stole them and never found an issue with those tires on the street.

Good luck with your decision as to which way that you want to go and as far as curbing one of your wheels unless this is a daily driver I would not worry about that issue at all.

:sunglasses:

OP
OP
ShelBoss

ShelBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously we all have different ideas of what we should do with our new HP Mustangs once we receive them but for me I like to drive and enjoy them exactly the way that they came from the factory.

Just a suggestion but maybe drive your new R with the CF wheels and Cup 2 tires for a while and see how that all goes instead of purchasing a complete new set of wheels and tires?

If you change over to a different set of rims there will be more than 5 or 6 pounds difference of unsprung rotating mass for each wheel and not sure if the MagneRide tuning/dampers will be affected to a great degree?

I do recall after purchasing a 2016 R model that the dealership had forgot to remove a couple of polyurethane shipping blocks in the suspension after I purchased the car and after taking them out I had to get my suspension recalibrated but that is another story.

I was also very fortunate to own a couple of 2012 LS cars and absolutely loved the P Zero Corsa tires and found them to be superior to the Cup 2 tires for my overall around driving style but if I recall the treadwear rating was ~50 but again just loved those tires. I drove those cars like I stole them and never found an issue with those tires on the street.

Good luck with your decision as to which way that you want to go and as far as curbing one of your wheels unless this is a daily driver I would not worry about that issue at all.
:sunglasses:
Thanks PP0001. I generally agree with you that the manufacture spent millions figuring out just the right way to setup the car. But I think there are some exceptions. I'm not sure where Valley of the Sun is, but I live in the furthest south portion of NY, and can tell you that even for a car that's only used March - November, the Pirellis were awful. I didn't think that in the summer of 2015 when running my 13 LS at Pocono as fast as I could handle. But on a 40F March night, the rear of the car came around on a public highway, causing me to fishtail on a dry road. They weren't much good in the rain either. And at 16,000 miles the belts were showing through. Extreme Summer Performance tires are just not street tires; Michelin even tells you that in their literature. Yes they're DOT approved so you can drive them to the track. Perhaps in hot climates it doesn't matter. BTW the '13 Boss 302 LS wasn't my daily driver.

The '19 GT350R will get 2-4 track days per year, jaunts out to the Hamptons, club cruise-ins on nice days, and occasional car shows. My plan is to use the carbon fiber wheels on track days and at car shows. For the street, I'm absolutely a fan of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S; I'd even track the car with them. Excellent dry and wet traction, crisp handling, and usable traction on cool to cold dry days. Of course I wouldn't use them on snow or ice. But they proved themselves on a November track day where the 7AM temperatures were 22F (the day got into the low 40s), and they were just fantastic.
IMG_9959.JPG

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thanks PP0001. I generally agree with you that the manufacture spent millions figuring out just the right way to setup the car. But I think there are some exceptions. I'm not sure where Valley of the Sun is, but I live in the furthest south portion of NY, and can tell you that even for a car that's only used March - November, the Pirellis were awful. I didn't think that in the summer of 2015 when running my 13 LS at Pocono as fast as I could handle. But on a 40F March night, the rear of the car came around on a public highway, causing me to fishtail on a dry road. They weren't much good in the rain either. And at 16,000 miles the belts were showing through. Extreme Summer Performance tires are just not street tires; Michelin even tells you that in their literature. Yes they're DOT approved so you can drive them to the track. Perhaps in hot climates it doesn't matter. BTW the '13 Boss 302 LS wasn't my daily driver.

The '19 GT350R will get 2-4 track days per year, jaunts out to the Hamptons, club cruise-ins on nice days, and occasional car shows. My plan is to use the carbon fiber wheels on track days and at car shows. For the street, I'm absolutely a fan of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S; I'd even track the car with them. Excellent dry and wet traction, crisp handling, and usable traction on cool to cold dry days. Of course I wouldn't use them on snow or ice. But they proved themselves on a November track day where the 7AM temperatures were 22F (the day got into the low 40s), and they were just fantastic.
IMG_9959.JPG
Cool picture of your 2013 Black LS and new tires!

Really liked the 2012/2013 Black LS cars and remember when the 2012 Boss 302 LS cars were sold to both the U.S. and Canada but when the 2013 Boss LS cars came out of Flat Rock they did not meet the daytime running light legislation in Canada therefore Canada did not get any 2013 Boss 302 LS cars after which time I sold a brand new 2013 Black LS out of my garage (15 miles on it) to a great friend of mine up in Ontario, Canada.

He just had to have a Black 2013 LS so I caved in but went to a great friend and owner. Had it transported to Buffalo and he drove it home from there.

Agreed that with most any tire if they are not heated up including the P Zero Corsa's that we had on our cars they could be very dangerous at certain times.

:)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Thanks again!
First welcome to the Forum and congrats on your purchase!

The noise you’re experiencing is most likely the transmission/engine block spacer plate. This is an aluminum shield located at the back of the engine that is between the engine and transmission bell housing. It’s a known source of a metallic-like or raspy-like noise at certain RPM’s. Ford is aware of the issue and there is a revised part for the GT350 - but no official TSB has been issued. Customers who complain should get the revised part replaced under warranty.

Here are some threads for you (and so you can tell your Service Center - “here IS the issue, please fix”):

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-replaced-my-cyl-block-rear-plate.126295/#post-2617259

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hen-accelerating-hard-above-4000k-rpm.107728/

One other source of a S550 GT350 rattle or noise at certain RPM’s has been sourced to the exhaust “weight” that is found near the catalytic converter. Some GT350 owners have found that this weight was loose and under certain conditions would emanate a rattle from under the car. Tightening up the weight solved the issue for these owners.

See this exact post for a better visual of the discussed part:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...rd-above-4000k-rpm.107728/page-6#post-2552578

Hope the above helped!

Sponsored
OP
OP
ShelBoss

ShelBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Cool picture of your 2013 Black LS and new tires!

Really liked the 2012/2013 Black LS cars and remember when the 2012 Boss 302 LS cars were sold to both the U.S. and Canada but when the 2013 Boss LS cars came out of Flat Rock they did not meet the daytime running light legislation in Canada therefore Canada did not get any 2013 Boss 302 LS cars after which time I sold a brand new 2013 Black LS out of my garage (15 miles on it) to a great friend of mine up in Ontario, Canada.

He just had to have a Black 2013 LS so I caved in but went to a great friend and owner. Had it transported to Buffalo and he drove it home from there.

Agreed that with most any tire if they are not heated up including the P Zero Corsa's that we had on our cars they could be very dangerous at certain times.

:)
Hey there PP0001! It's been a while.

Looking to actually execute those plans discussed in the thread above that I formed here 7 months ago. With 700 miles on my 19GT350R, I'm not driving it much for 2 reasons:
1) New job had me traveling to the West coast often
2) The CF wheels and SC2s are just not a conducive to year round driving in New York.

Perhaps a non-R would have been a better choice, but I wanted an R and got one, so its time to make it work.
Just made the appointment to have my car wrapped in clear vinyl, and am looking to exit the winter into spring with a car I can drive 8-10 months per year (interestingly enough there was no snow this year whatsoever). That means temperatures above 45F, trying not to be in the rain, and a good set of street tires.

I can't seem to find anything better than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and have good practical experience to back it up (as discussed last year). But the 2 wheel choices I had settled on (Project 6G, Vibe GT7-R) just don't seem to be available. Or at least I can't figure out how to get my hands on a set.

I'm wondering if every single thing really has to be made in China. I guess I just have to wait until this Coronavirus thing blows over, scales down, etc. Any thoughts? Is there any other wheel that looks like the GT350R wheel?

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
^ Move to Florida, and drive year round. I'll let you park in my driveway. :)

Deleted member 37397

I have the Vibe replica R wheels as well. They’re made in California. They are Full forged monoblock. I have a Non R GT350 but they are R spec sized. They really are well made. Brake clearance is a nonissue. I considered other R replicas, but there was something about them that I never cared for. View attachment 443726 View attachment 443727
67A342CD-1304-4F50-950A-76C2161DD31C.jpeg
E9F1151F-1460-4D3A-95FC-3F9737E5CC99.jpeg
E5B72D6B-A2B2-41A1-9BB1-8E34DA5DA62F.jpeg
E16194D5-E3C5-4374-9C98-605B75206902.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Welcome to the forum Shelboss. Like you we owned a 70' B2 several years back now & I had restored it also. Life's ups & downs come along & we sold it. Still some really great memories with it.

Your forum handle name you've chosen reminded me instantly of this particular 69' Shelby so thought I'd post these pics up here of it. Great little write up of this rare car & give it some more exposure on this 350 forum.
IMG_1418.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
That's very nice and congrats on your new car. But where's the pictures?
Sponsored