Sponsored

Metallic raspy rattling sound when accelerating hard above 4000k rpm

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm still waiting on my plate to arrive at dealer. I was concerned about the dealer cold revving, dealer ended up dragging their feet for a couple hours letting the car cool down while I was waiting, and the foreman actually did a great job keeping the engine around 2k RPMs until the oil got nice and hot and sure enough it started going crazy. I'd say just schedule an appointment, no need for a 45 minute drive, just get it hot staying stationary around 2k rpms, and have them get it in a lift when it's hot. It'll be easy for them to figure out, it's the plate.
Sponsored

Reactions: _M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
As far as I know it’s BR3Z-7007-A. Just replace the F with a B
So apparently today we figured out the difference between these two part numbers is the F is for the 5.2 and the B is for the 5.0. So don’t use this as the revised part number if there even is one.

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Ultimately yes, although the real issue was the multiple dealers and ford customer support that were pretty bad. My car was in and out of the shop since January for a total of close to 10 weeks.

Sponsored

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Ultimately yes, although the real issue was the multiple dealers and ford customer support that were pretty bad. My car was in and out of the shop since January for a total of close to 10 weeks.
How did you manage to get them to buy it back though? Just by stating they’ve had your car too long? Mines been at Ford for almost 2 months now waiting for that plate to arrive. Its quite annoying but at the end of the day, i just want it done correctly.

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
How did you manage to get them to buy it back though? Just by stating they’ve had your car too long? Mines been at Ford for almost 2 months now waiting for that plate to arrive. Its quite annoying but at the end of the day, i just want it done correctly.
I hired an attorney. Lemon laws will vary state to state, but in California, if the car has been into the dealer for the same problem 4 times OR it has been at the dealer for more than 30 days, you qualify for the Lemon buyback.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Just an update. My 350R is being bought back by Ford.
Really? Just for this plate? In all those trips how many times did they actually touch the car?

Is Ford getting you a new car? Or are you just taking the cash back?

2 months? You’re much more tolerant than I am. Have they ordered the plate? My dealer looked into the part number the other day and didn’t mention anything or see anything about a backorder??

Were you able to confirm the part number with them?

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Really? Just for this plate? In all those trips how many times did they actually touch the car?

Is Ford getting you a new car? Or are you just taking the cash back?
They worked on the car every time I took it in and replaced various parts as well as tightened various brackets. I told them from the very beginning including the Ford case managers, that I thought it was the plate but they kept insisting it was other things. I suspect it was because they didn't want to drop the transmission to inspect the plate but that's just a guess on my part.

Ford offered a new car or to buyback. I'm done with Ford cars after this and for me the lack of customer service and poor customer service when I did get it was such a shame and really a big turnoff to Ford. Oh well. Off to new things.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
They worked on the car every time I took it in and replaced various parts as well as tightened various brackets. I told them from the very beginning including the Ford case managers, that I thought it was the plate but they kept insisting it was other things. I suspect it was because they didn't want to drop the transmission to inspect the plate but that's just a guess on my part.

Ford offered a new car or to buyback. I'm done with Ford cars after this and for me the lack of customer service and poor customer service when I did get it was such a shame and really a big turnoff to Ford. Oh well. Off to new things.
Good luck on your next purchase!

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I got my car back today from having the new plate installed. See below for part number. It's cold here, roughly 45 degrees, but I managed to get the oil temp up to about 210 and didn't hear the noise.

20181103_103515-1.jpg

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Same here. Haven’t heard the sound return after having the plate installed. Temperatures here are warm. 80-90 degrees during the day

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
I got my car back today from having the new plate installed. See below for part number. It's cold here, roughly 45 degrees, but I managed to get the oil temp up to about 210 and didn't hear the noise.

20181103_103515-1.jpg

That part number is the original part number.

Now I’m curious. My shop foreman seems to think replacing the part isn’t actually fixing it. It’s just taking everything down and putting it back together properly and torquing things down.

Since they replaced that part with the same part number as the original I’m beginning to agree with him.

Either way they won’t touch it till a field engineer looks at it. Hopefully in the next week or two.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I’m an audio science guy and i believe the reason this happens is because of the RPM range is at the plate’s resonant requency, causing it to vibrate. If they made the entire plate a little thicker, it should help. This is also why it would only do it while the vehicle is warmed up... molecules move faster in a warmer temperature, making it easier for that resonant frequency to be hit.

This is just my guess as to whats going on.
Maybe. Maybe not. The resonant freq range produced at 3500 - 4400 rpm may just change to 5500 - 6500 is all. After reading this thread, I'm leaning toward an improper torque during assembly or engineering torque spec.

Reactions: _M_

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Has anyone that had their flex plate replaced continue to be rattle free??

My parts finally came in and car is getting serviced now. Hoping it solves the issue
Sponsored