• Start date
  • Watchers 11

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
I find it ironic that , most people think , that us techs beat the crap out of there cars . Why would I, as a tech do that ? First off , my personal car , will smoke the shit out of most the stuff I work on . Second , I rely on repeat customers to pay my bills . When camera is installed , I will wave at it as I open the hood . Sorry to vent , just sick of hearing that techs are ass wipes , and customers who think they have the Holly grail of cars .
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 35644

I find it ironic that , most people think , that us techs beat the crap out of there cars . Why would I, as a tech do that ? First off , my personal car , will smoke the shit out of most the stuff I work on . Second , I rely on repeat customers to pay my bills . When camera is installed , I will wave at it as I open the hood . Sorry to vent , just sick of hearing that techs are ass wipes , and customers who think they have the Holly grail of cars .
I don't think any of the stuff you just typed. I just want to know why it was necessary to circumvent my camera for a certain period of time. The only other way the trip from the shop to wherever, ending in a parking spot, wouldn't be recorded, would be if they pushed my car out of the shop into the parking lot without powering it up.
The math indicates that there was around 3 miles driven, which is fine. Why go to such lengths to keep this a secret?
Do you not find this practice suspect?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Personally, my opinion as a tech is that I didnā€™t give permission to be recorded while doing my job. Iā€™m not trying to hide anything, but I donā€™t need someone watching me like that. I assume most people would feel the same way about being recorded by someone they do not know while doing their jobs. Thatā€™s just creepy. That being said, my procedure is to unplug the cigarette lighter adapter if present, and if not, will throw a clean fabric fender cover over the area to block view of me. Obv, in this case I cannot disconnect for a road test and the video will show I do not speed or break traffic laws. I will not touch the camera itself or unplug it at the unit. I have spoken with management about it and they stand with me on it. I will plug the cigarette lighter back in when Iā€™m done.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
So , if the tech is worth a crap , he is following the Installation instructions. The first step in all most all electronic installs is to disconnect the battery . So let's say that happened, have you done that ? Most electronic have a boot up , take sync for an example. It takes some time for it to reboot after a battery disconnect. Might be the same for your camera ?

OP
OP

Deleted member 35644

So , if the tech is worth a crap , he is following the Installation instructions. The first step in all most all electronic installs is to disconnect the battery . So let's say that happened, have you done that ? Most electronic have a boot up , take sync for an example. It takes some time for it to reboot after a battery disconnect. Might be the same for your camera ?
No delay that I'm aware of considering power is cut to it every time the ignition is killed. One of the first sounds I hear when cranking the car is the camera confirming verbally that it is in recording mode.

Refresh my memory... do you lose radio presets when you disconnect the battery in this car? Mine are still set.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, I get that as owners we value our cars more than god himself, but at the end of the day the tech who is working on it has probably seen 4 of the same car that week at minimum. They don't give a shit. Sure, there's lube techs and newbies who don't care and will joyride a car when they don't need to, but it's really not that common. Plus, just because you put a camera in your car doesn't give you permission to record literally everything at all times. Some people just aren't about that because it's uncomfortable.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
That's unfortunate. I always check my dash cam while its at a shop. At least one time I found something and never went back to that place. I know your looking to vent a bit, but there are a couple things you could do in the future.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Yea I mean no offense but what actual tech is gonna risk his job to stomp on an ecoboost.

ing3nious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mom mobile
Mainly because the only person I have access to, the service writer, will do what he's paid to do (upsell and play dumb) if I were to even approach the subject. Ask for an explanation? Biggest waste of time, aside of having my car sit at the dealer for 4 days for 3 hours of work.
The cam is hardwired into the car to come on with the ignition switch, so the only way to prevent recording is to unplug the cord from the camera.
The simple truth: It's likely a policy to disable recording devices if a car is taken on a drivability test after work is done, to keep people from seeing what really goes on. I actually don't care that it was driven, but I do care that they are purposely hiding something.
Or if the battery was disconnected, which seems reasonable if you are getting electrical work done.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35644

Or if the battery was disconnected, which seems reasonable if you are getting electrical work done.
What is this mysterious thing that some of you seem to think happens to my camera when the battery is disconnected? The battery was connected when the car was driven out of the shop. The camera is connected directly at the fuse box. It had power any time the ignition was on.

Sponsored

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
When i had a scat pack charger i dropped my car off at a dealership to have it worked on. My wife and i were out and about and i happened to see my car drive by me. Turned around and followed it for a while to see if anything odd happened. Afterall if it was a test drive thats logical with the work i was having done inder warranty and didnt want to come across as that crazy person Nope. Jack ass went to lunch, and got rather spirited on the freeway to the point i couldnt keep up anymore. To any who are unaware on the dodges in the performance guage section top speed is recorded. Asshat took my car up to 137mph. Needless to say i had a very unfriendly conversation with the shop manager.

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
Youā€™re a unicorn. I worked at 2 dealers when I was young. The amount of bullshit going on is unreal. Itā€™s a good thing cameras and cell phones were uncommon back then.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
It is unfortunate that Tech's have a bad rep. There are a lot of really knowledgeable and good people that work in the profession. I have the utmost respect for anyone willing to get their hands dirty as a profession. The inverse of that is that there what seems to be more of the opposite in the field and negative news always travels farther than positive.

In my case, I've had a BUNCH of terrible experiences and can understand why customers want to protect themselves these days. I've found my stuff in the bed of my F-150 after picking up my truck (Henry Curtis Ford, Petaluma CA), my mustang wheels getting curbed and blaming it on me (Hansel Ford, Santa Rosa), My 300ZX getting taken on a joyride and being totaled on highway 80 due to a high speed loss of control (Hanlees Nissan, Davis CA) and don't get me started on the lack of communication of the Service Writers.

I actually had to sue a Sacramento based dealership due to their immoral business practices but due to the legal agreement I can't divulge on the details.

I'm actually kind of surprised that a lot of dealerships are even in business with how the service department's are run and the insane greed of the sales departments these days. It's no surprise that Jim Farley has a new vision for the sales side of things.

Because of this, I try to do all the work I can on my own cars and if I can't, I outsource to a trusted independent mechanic (Trent Musser, DevSpeed, etc.). There are still plenty of them out there and many value your business and respect you as a customer.

Side note, if you are a Ford Tech I might suggest looking over your right to being recorded. A lot of businesses/corporations reserve the right to record. It's typically in the fine print when you sign your employment offer. Just a FYI.

ing3nious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mom mobile
It is unfortunate that Tech's have a bad rep. There are a lot of really knowledgeable and good people that work in the profession. I have the utmost respect for anyone willing to get their hands dirty as a profession. The inverse of that is that there what seems to be more of the opposite in the field and negative news always travels farther than positive.

In my case, I've had a BUNCH of terrible experiences and can understand why customers want to protect themselves these days. I've found my stuff in the bed of my F-150 after picking up my truck (Henry Curtis Ford, Petaluma CA), my mustang wheels getting curbed and blaming it on me (Hansel Ford, Santa Rosa), My 300ZX getting taken on a joyride and being totaled on highway 80 due to a high speed loss of control (Hanlees Nissan, Davis CA) and don't get me started on the lack of communication of the Service Writers.

I actually had to sue a Sacramento based dealership due to their immoral business practices but due to the legal agreement I can't divulge on the details.

I'm actually kind of surprised that a lot of dealerships are even in business with how the service department's are run and the insane greed of the sales departments these days. It's no surprise that Jim Farley has a new vision for the sales side of things.

Because of this, I try to do all the work I can on my own cars and if I can't, I outsource to a trusted independent mechanic (Trent Musser, DevSpeed, etc.). There are still plenty of them out there and many value your business and respect you as a customer.

Side note, if you are a Ford Tech I might suggest looking over your right to being recorded. A lot of businesses/corporations reserve the right to record. It's typically in the fine print when you sign your employment offer. Just a FYI.
After reading your post, Iā€™d never take my car to any dealership in CA šŸ˜‚

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
After reading your post, Iā€™d never take my car to any dealership in CA šŸ˜‚
Unfortunately that's probably a good idea lol.
Sponsored