Selling 10 speed for 6 speed manual

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Just find a new auto later this year. Now is not the time to buy a car the rebates aren't there and it's especially not the time to buy used.

The manual transmission is less reliable and will always be the slower car compared to auto. Not to mention you don't even know how to drive a manual lol. Don't learn on a 5.0 you will damage it.
Ha! Good one! The MT-82 can hold more power than the A10 stock for stock. Ask any A10 owner about 7th gear when they start upping the power. No doubt the A10 is quicker, but definitely not more reliable. If you've seen a diagram of an A10, you'd change your mind. So many parts. More parts equals more things that have the potential to go wrong. In general, a manual transmission is less complex than an automatic transmission.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....none of my buddies drive manual LOL.....
Try different friends. Your current ones aren't doing you any favors;

1622213270141.png

When you learn how to drive a manual, you'll need loser fitting jeans, so your enlarged sack can breathe.

Last edited:

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
I love manuals, but I HATE this car's first gear. Unless you drive like you're racing 24/7, it's just terrible until you get up in the rpms.

With that said, it's ideal for learning how to drive a manual. 😁

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
You can quickly learn to drive a manual, but it'll never be as quick as an automatic :crackup:

For real doh, @csimmy, the car WILL be slower. If touchy-feely things like "engagement" matter to you, go for it. You will have to accept the fact that the machine is better than you. An A10 equipped GT is stupid quick. Not saying that the MT82 makes the car a dog (still talking about a 460 HP car here). You will be giving up some raw performance. Factor that into your decision.
The performance you're giving up is straight line only. If that's a primary concern then keep the A10. On a road course, if you know what you're doing, it's a wash until the A10 gets too hot.

Sponsored

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
my problem with it is i do not know how to drive a manual car...
You'll figure it out.

Practicing in advance may save you some temporary embarrassment when you first pick up the car, but learning on a Mustang is fine. It's an easy manual car.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Wow! thank you all for the responses.... I really need to find someone with a manual to practice on BUT none of my buddies drive manual LOL. I think practicing on one that will be able to give me my answer. Again thank you for the feedback and I will make the decision over the weekend!
Test out the sales person. Have them do a test drive with you, teaching you how to drive it. These cars really are geared towards new manual drivers. That's why there are complaints from people that have driven manuals for eons. It has features that help prevent stalling, auto rev matching for downshifts, and it hold rpms a second when upshifting. But like I said, express interest to your sales person explaining the situation and they may be willing to take you for a drive explaining fundamentals before letting you drive it. I would get all the experience you can before going so far you can't go back just in case you don't like the manual.

OP
OP

csimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
cam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Test out the sales person. Have them do a test drive with you, teaching you how to drive it. These cars really are geared towards new manual drivers. That's why there are complaints from people that have driven manuals for eons. It has features that help prevent stalling, auto rev matching for downshifts, and it hold rpms a second when upshifting. But like I said, express interest to your sales person explaining the situation and they may be willing to take you for a drive explaining fundamentals before letting you drive it. I would get all the experience you can before going so far you can't go back just in case you don't like the manual.
I think i may have to make a trip to the dealer tomorrow

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I like the hill assist, it holds for too long but as long as you train yourself to hold the clutch in the bite zone for a bit longer, it works well. My issue with NOT using it is that these cars are so damn heavy that they roll back on steep grades at mach 1 (ha). And most hills I deal with are pretty steep. Mountain country and all. The clutch travel is super long too, so it feels like a race to get to the bite before I roll back into whoever is rammed up my ass at the light. I suppose I could use the ebrake start method instead, but the automatic method, as imperfect as it is, is easier. All methods use about the same amount of clutch life too, unless you're a god at getting to the bite point instantly with zero roll back.
If it's between using the ebrake method and hill assist then I'd also pick hill assist. And I wouldn't say I'm a "god," but that's how I do it. My old car had a catch point just as high so, altogether, I have about 12 years of almost daily experience. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing when you don't have time to think.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
If it's between using the ebrake method and hill assist then I'd also pick hill assist. And I wouldn't say I'm a "god," but that's how I do it. My old car had a catch point just as high so, altogether, I have about 12 years of almost daily experience. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing when you don't have time to think.
Experience is a beautiful thing! I don't use the ebrake method and deactivated the hill assist. I guess I'm godly...never mind the random stall a month ago, we don't need to talk about that.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Experience is a beautiful thing! I don't use the ebrake method and deactivated the hill assist. I guess I'm godly...never mind the random stall a month ago, we don't need to talk about that.
Show me someone who says they never stall and I'll show you a liar lol. I just stalled pulling into my garage a couple weeks ago. Just sat there halfway in thinking "welp..."

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've driven manual for about 10 years, although not 100% of the time. I've never gotten over my fear of rollback lol. Its irrational, and I can definitely start without any help, but my mind is screaming at me the whole time. Probably because this is my first new car. Maybe I'll get over it eventually.
Sponsored