Sponsored

SCT BDX , QUICK QUESTION..

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
At one point (wonder when this will occur) I would think any update to the device would cease to allow a tuner to disable the stuff they used to be able to do. Wonder if it would be as simple as not updating the device? Or are they going to take the ability away from the tuner in the software they use to write the calibration? I’m curious if anyone knows details about this.
From what I read in the settlement reportage, they are to immediately stop selling any products capable of altering the emissions equipment, which to me sounds like no more tuner sales for now.

Derive Systems, SCT's parent co., estimated $6.25MM expenditure to modify future products' design — and retroactively remedy all existing hardware and software — to disallow emissions systems tampering. That sounds like tuning companies won't be able to disable sensors using SCT software or hardware. No CEL-free header tunes!
Sponsored

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
I'm guessing though, that if you already have tune files, you should still be able to use them if your devic isn't updated. That would be technically illegal, but it won't likely bite you in the butt until, say, you're nominated for a Supreme Court position in, oh, 2053.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Just picture a world where you can go down the street and purchase legal pot but have to get your car tuned by some "shady character" you met on bookface...crazy times indeed!

TheTwilightZone?!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Guess I won't do anymore updates.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I plugged in my SCT x4 to my tablet last night and was prompted to update the software to include the 2018 Mustang and Raptor..

I am going to hold off on all updates until the dust settles.

Sponsored

1slo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
From what I read in the settlement reportage, they are to immediately stop selling any products capable of altering the emissions equipment, which to me sounds like no more tuner sales for now.

Derive Systems, SCT's parent co., estimated $6.25MM expenditure to modify future products' design — and retroactively remedy all existing hardware and software — to disallow emissions systems tampering. That sounds like tuning companies won't be able to disable sensors using SCT software or hardware. No CEL-free header tunes!
It's business as usual for them. They've just removed the ability to turn off O2s and egr equipment. It's really not as big a deal as it sounds, it's not the end of modifying cars. Most people would have never even noticed had it not been in the news.

They released a statement on the whole thing earlier this week.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
It's business as usual for them. They've just removed the ability to turn off O2s and egr equipment. It's really not as big a deal as it sounds, it's not the end of modifying cars. Most people would have never even noticed had it not been in the news.

They released a statement on the whole thing earlier this week.
It does mess with some more than others. Especially those who live in smog test counties. Means you have to remove the mods from your car if you want to register your car (requires passing an emissions test). Like mentioned above headers will not pass an emissions test with the 02s turned on.

So curious if the devices will continue to work without being updated. I’d imagine eventually tune written in the future with SCT software probably won’t even be able to be installed on an out of date device.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It does mess with some more than others. Especially those who live in smog test counties. Means you have to remove the mods from your car if you want to register your car (requires passing an emissions test). Like mentioned above headers will not pass an emissions test with the 02s turned on.

So curious if the devices will continue to work without being updated. I’d imagine eventually tune written in the future with SCT software probably won’t even be able to be installed on an out of date device.
Most areas with emissions testing require registration before testing. You get an inspection sticker with the emissions test. Many emission testing areas also give options to get out of it.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Most areas with emissions testing require registration before testing. You get an inspection sticker with the emissions test. Many emission testing areas also give options to get out of it.
Let me guess you don’t have emissions testing where you live?
All of the people that I know that have emissions testing have to pass the test before they are allowed to register their car. I know for sure that’s how they do it on the west coast. Also pretty tough to get out of the test requirement unless you have an old classic vehicle and put less than 5k mile/year on it, at least in my state.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Let me guess you don’t have emissions testing where you live?
All of the people that I know that have emissions testing have to pass the test before they are allowed to register their car. I know for sure that’s how they do it on the west coast. Also pretty tough to get out of the test requirement unless you have an old classic vehicle and put less than 5k mile/year on it, at least in my state.
Lived in Chicago for 3 years. Bucktown. It is clear on the IL DMV site that you must register your car before getting inspection and emissions testing. I can’t speak for Cali, but that’s how it is in IL and PA. The IL law allows you to get out of emissions testing if the car is used for sport (racing counts). No mileage restrictions are noted on the website.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Lived in Chicago for 3 years. Bucktown. It is clear on the IL DMV site that you must register your car before getting inspection and emissions testing. I can’t speak for Cali, but that’s how it is in IL and PA. The IL law allows you to get out of emissions testing if the car is used for sport (racing counts). No mileage restrictions are noted on the website.
Thanks, I didn’t know that.
Sponsored