Sponsored

SCT BDX tuner

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Is this a good hand held tuner to buy? There is one for sale used near me, unlocked, used for a 2018 GT. Seller claims its barely used, still has screen protector.

Is it worth buying for future tuning needs? Currently I have a PP1 tune, but will likely go with a 2018+ intake manifold at one point, or maybe even a supercharger.

Price is around $230 USD (asking)

I don't plan on using it full time in my car, hence no particular need for the N Gauge, unless that is a better tuning device
Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
if you want a can tuned it's fine,

you'll still need a custom tune to get the most out of it,

the ngauge imo is far superior and faster than the sct device

feel free to hit me up with any questions you have

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
Just wanted to bump this thread up to see if I can get some more recent information about the BDX vs the X4 tuner. I have the opportunity to pick up a brand new unlocked/unmarried BDX (model 40490) locally for DIRT cheap, but frankly before this arose, I was leaning towards the X4 after reading reviews of the BDX. All the poor reviews I read seem to be from 5 years ago, but one tuning company I was looking to use after buying a device advised me to definitely go with the X4 over the BDX. He said I might have problems loading tunes if I don't have a strong and secure enough WiFi signal (The WiFi is fine in my house).

Anyway, I gather the consensus is the X4(7015) is better than the BDX, but does anyone know if SCT has worked out whatever issues this unit was having in the past? I could possibly save a lot of money this way, but I don't want to run into the same problems I've read about. And from what I've read, any tuner that uses SCT devices could write them for either the X4 or BDX. Any input would be appreciated!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I have an X4, it works.

I'd pick a tuner then ask them what device they like to use.

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. Both tuners I have it narrowed down to would use either the X4 or BDX. So I can go with either one really. Is there anyone out there currently using the BDX that can tell me about your experience with it? Any regrets not going with the X4 etc? If relying on a solid WiFi connection is the only issue then I don't see a problem choosing that over the X4 since my home internet is very reliable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Thanks you. Both tuners I have it narrowed down to would use either the X4 or BDX. So I can go with either one really. Is there anyone out there currently using the BDX that can tell me about your experience with it? Any regrets not going with the X4 etc? If relying on a solid WiFi connection is the only issue then I don't see a problem choosing that over the X4 since my home internet is very reliable.
I have the BDX, essentially it and the X4 are the same device. The BDX has the ability to connect to WI-FI wireless whereas the X4 requires to plug into your computer. SCT(the manufacturer of both devices) hoped the wireless capabilities of the BDX would make tuning a lot less cumbersome and simple for people new to tuning. Unfortunately for them not many tuners utilize "cloud base tuning" for whatever reason. Because of this you still need to download Livewire (SCT's window based program to datalog and their Device Updater which can be found on their website in order to transfer tunes from your email to your device). The X4 has always operated this way and the BDX does the same exact thing in case your tuner does not support the cloud based tuning. The BDX can download tunes from the cloud but your tuner has to send it to you that way. Most will not and stick with whats worked in the past. I'm currently tuned by Shaun at AED and am using my BDX device for everything. Works perfectly.

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Thank you so much for the detailed response. Really appreciate it, this was exactly what I was looking for.

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Is this a good hand held tuner to buy? There is one for sale used near me, unlocked, used for a 2018 GT. Seller claims its barely used, still has screen protector.

Is it worth buying for future tuning needs? Currently I have a PP1 tune, but will likely go with a 2018+ intake manifold at one point, or maybe even a supercharger.

Price is around $230 USD (asking)

I don't plan on using it full time in my car, hence no particular need for the N Gauge, unless that is a better tuning device
Hey, Nick! Most everything has been said that can be man but I would agree with most as the SCT is the way to go for a device that isn't too complicated but gets the job done.

Outside of that @Velocityblue5ohhit the nail on the head with the differences.
That said, please feel free to reach out to us here at Lethal Performance and we'll be more than happy to assist you!

Thanks!

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I've had a bdx for close to 4 1/2 years. Had to by a new cable but other than that it's been great.

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, thank you all for the input. Very helpful. I'm gonna go for it! The one I found is too good of a deal to pass up. Just gotta make a final decision on which tuner to go with now.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Been using the X2,3,4 series for 20 years. Proven. I don’t want wireless crap screwing up. Hardline only for me.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I have the BDX, essentially it and the X4 are the same device. The BDX has the ability to connect to WI-FI wireless whereas the X4 requires to plug into your computer. SCT(the manufacturer of both devices) hoped the wireless capabilities of the BDX would make tuning a lot less cumbersome and simple for people new to tuning. Unfortunately for them not many tuners utilize "cloud base tuning" for whatever reason. Because of this you still need to download Livewire (SCT's window based program to datalog and their Device Updater which can be found on their website in order to transfer tunes from your email to your device). The X4 has always operated this way and the BDX does the same exact thing in case your tuner does not support the cloud based tuning. The BDX can download tunes from the cloud but your tuner has to send it to you that way. Most will not and stick with whats worked in the past. I'm currently tuned by Shaun at AED and am using my BDX device for everything. Works perfectly.
This is exactly same for me. Tuner had me do the live wire way & I used my lap top to do all the logs. Worked just fine & got the job done.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Been using the BDX for years now to load custom tunes etc no issues.

Bonedizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
well my BDX just bricked itself and I would need to send it back for $200 to see if they can fix it. It was getting CRC error and would not connect to my car or the device updater. It happened the same day I updated the firmware.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
My X4 bricked itself after a firmware update. SCT was able to fix it over the net.
Sponsored