Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What I encounter, after using the paddle in sport-auto, is that after a few seconds of holding that gear, it shifts up or down as normal.
Are you saying this can happen at any rpm if you're not actively accelerating (or perhaps not accelerating vigorously enough)?

Norm
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
What I encounter, after using the paddle in sport-auto, is that after a few seconds of holding that gear, it shifts up or down as normal. (The shift light goes on if you use the paddle but then goes out in sync with the shift as well)
Per the owner manual this is "as intended". There are 2 ways to exit sport-auto select shift manual mode. One is simply to shift from S to D. The other is to hold the + paddle for more than one second.

SelectShift in sport (S):
Provides a permanent manual gear selection where full control of gear selection is required.
To exit SelectShift mode shift the transmission into another gear, for example, drive (D) or holding the (+) paddle for 1 second.
Therefore in "performance driving" in S using the paddles (selectshift) it is important to NOT "hold" the paddle. Simply pull and release. Note that in D using the paddles is temporary and "after a while" it will shift normally.

According to the manuals since my car is still about a week away. ;)

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picked up my Ruby Red 2018 GTPP with MagneRide and the 10A this morning. Only very gentle driving so far but I was able to "hold" 9th, 8th, 7, and 6th (the only gears I tried) at about 55 mph in traffic by using the paddles with the shifter in S instead of D. With the shifter in D paddle selected gears quickly revert back to full automatic. I'm still trying to sort out all the other 10A D vs S and Drive Mode combinations. In S, S+, and Track it appears to allow a second gear start. Much still to be learned regarding what does and does not happen under what conditions.

destoups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Des
Vehicle(s)
Crimson red EB PP 10A
Picked up my Ruby Red 2018 GTPP with MagneRide and the 10A this morning. Only very gentle driving so far but I was able to "hold" 9th, 8th, 7, and 6th (the only gears I tried) at about 55 mph in traffic by using the paddles with the shifter in S instead of D. With the shifter in D paddle selected gears quickly revert back to full automatic. I'm still trying to sort out all the other 10A D vs S and Drive Mode combinations. In S, S+, and Track it appears to allow a second gear start. Much still to be learned regarding what does and does not happen under what conditions.
Dick, congrats! Let us know what you learn.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One factor to emphasize is that my car is a 301A car with MagneRide and Des's is a base without MagneRide. This may make some differences with the 10A and with things like steering feel options.

For example, despite what the owner manual says, steering feel in S+ and Track is not separately adjustable. Also the 10A in D seems to "act" more like the trans is in S when changing the Drive Mode to Track.

I have confirmed that at least in "static driveway testing" that TC and Advance Trac can be turned off after selecting S+ and Track drive modes. This may be relevant to autocrossers and advanced open track folks. Note that in S+ and Track the TC off light comes on even though you haven't actually turned one or both completely off. I assume this is because the intervention levels of both have been modified.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Congratulations ! And you got the best / fastest color again ! Would be interesting to see how it works out for you, I got the taste of 10A in wife's F150 Lariat and was very very impressed by it - I am sure Mustang has different programming but still (F150 has "sport" mode though).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Nice, Dick.

You'll probably also have to learn what the transmission starts to learn about you and your driving, and what if anything you might want to do shortly before an event to keep it from thinking you drive like an
picture.jpg
all the time :lol: .

Best of luck for the upcoming season.

Norm

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Nice, Dick.

You'll probably also have to learn what the transmission starts to learn about you and your driving, and what if anything you might want to do shortly before an event to keep it from thinking you drive like an
picture.jpg

Norm
That's funny! Sweet car [MENTION=12865]DickR[/MENTION] post some pics when you get a chance and best of luck.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice, Dick.

picture.jpg

Norm
That is actually a concern considering that with 460 HP on tap any driving which keeps the car out of ditches and the driver out of jail is going to not only require "little old man" driving but will be totally opposite what is needed in competition.

However, here is what Ford says is really going on with Adaptive Learning:

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning
This feature is designed to increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may have firm or soft shifts. This operation is normal and does not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process fully updates transmission operation. Additionally, whenever you disconnect the battery or install a new battery, the system must relearn the strategy.
According to the service manual the shift strategy is pre-programmed into the transmission.

It was interesting a few times today when doing gentle 90 degree starts out of parking lots in 35 degree temps even with "warm" tires from lots of miles. The Torsen and Michelin rear tires do a slightly different "chirp/hop" routine than the Pirelli tires do. It has always made me glad that I understand what is happening in these cold temps and therefore baby the tires until pavement and tires are warm and otherwise don't worry about it.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It'll be interesting to read what comes out of this. For coping with the 10A and for any change over time with that Torsen/Michelin behavior.

Norm

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Drove an 18 GT PP today (STD) and that will easily beat the 15-17 cars with equal drivers. 73mph vs 61mph in 2nd and the suspension is better stock. Just with tires (285 RE71R) on it I couldn't match the time with a 16 that was fully prepped for FS with the same size tires.

The camaro's and m3 have some more competition for them this year!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A word of "advice" for anyone considering an A10 Mustang. Don't believe anyone's impressions (including mine ;) ) of how the transmission shifts in the various modes. Drive it yourself because everyone drives differently in regard to throttle "smoothness" and a bunch of other variables. Reading various driving impression articles and forum posts it is like there are as many different versions of the trans calibration as there are articles and posts!:doh:

There are definite calibration and "what happens when" differences between D and S and between the Sport + and Track drive modes. Each will have its sweet spot depending on what you are doing and what you like. From what I've experienced so far, "easy civilized low speed driving in traffic" in Track mode driving mode is not what the calibrators had in mind.;)

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dick (and other 10A-curious folks), I spent some time on actual dry pavement yesterday, trying to mimic some autox-specific behaviors.

The good news is that the 2-3 combo in sport/manual mode seems to do just what we want. Third, in my EB anyway, functions like the best second gear ever, flexible and strong anywhere from about 32 mph to 68. I can't see having to downshift except for pivot cones, etc.

Upshifts are lightning fast if you're floored. Part-throttle ... nope. Kinda laggy. Same thing on 3-2 downshift, laggy -- and abrupt, too.

The paddle-only controls may be an issue on dogleg starts; manual upshift with the wheel cranked is kinda tricky, and because you won't be flooring it, lag enters the picture. I see second-gear starts in my future. The car also rejects manual downshifts in an over-rev situation (good) but you can't hold the paddle down until speed drops; you have to release it and try again.

The sport auto mode is actually pretty terrific, with snappy upshifts and aggressive downshifts as you enter corners. It does seem to hold onto lower gears if you're driving aggressively but it won't push against the rev limiter at all.

None of this is probably a surprise (and could be wrong!), except I'm more likely to give sport auto mode a try.
I went for a "test the A10 shifting variables" drive this morning. Behaved just like Des described in "S". Since my car has 301A with Drive Modes and MagneRide I tried to observe any differences between D in Sport+ and in Track and also in S. Shifts seem to get firmer in both D and S in Sport+ and Track. Shifts may be firmer in S even in normal drive mode. It was really hard to tell on the roads I have available. The roads I have available don't allow really quick driving for all the normal "legal", common sense, and other traffic reasons so some of my observations are more "I see/feel what the calibrators and test drivers are trying to do here and I bet it works well when in the intended environments." I don't know yet if S auto in either Sport+ or Track drive mode will be viable for autocross or if manual control will be best.