Sponsored

Safelite Driving Car After Install?

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
A scam is what it is. My wife’s A7 needed “recalibration” after a replacement on my dime. Safelite wanted $400 to “recalibrate.” I said get bent and put in the new glass. They said but we cannot guarantee everything will work properly. I said I’ll take my chances.
100% zero issues with the car since new glass with no calibration.
Sponsored

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
Not to mention he would/should have to ride as a passenger because how would he be able to be messing with any "calibration" while driving? Also did u make sure ur getting oem glass instead of aftermarket? If that matters to u or not.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
A scam is what it is. My wife’s A7 needed “recalibration” after a replacement on my dime. Safelite wanted $400 to “recalibrate.” I said get bent and put in the new glass. They said but we cannot guarantee everything will work properly. I said I’ll take my chances.
100% zero issues with the car since new glass with no calibration.
Well maybe, maybe not, it depends. I had my wife's Volvo windshield replaced and my insurance covered the recalibration. Not sure why Safelite wanted to charge you. But even if I had to pay "taking my chances" just doesn't work when my wife is behind the wheel.

Take a look at this.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-windshield-doesnt-actually-matter-camera-nick-dominato/

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
Not to mention he would/should have to ride as a passenger because how would he be able to be messing with any "calibration" while driving? Also did u make sure ur getting oem glass instead of aftermarket? If that matters to u or not.
It's actually done remotely by Ford people in Texas while the car is being driven. The tech is on the phone with the agent while he is running and calibrating all the systems. I found it fascinating! Then....I was like....WTF....these guys can hack my car!!! LOL

Sponsored

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
It's actually done remotely by Ford people in Texas while the car is being driven. The tech is on the phone with the agent while he is running and calibrating all the systems. I found it fascinating! Then....I was like....WTF....these guys can hack my car!!! LOL
Yeah kinda crazy that it's even a thing that an automobile can be hacked. LOL.

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
I mean it was cool to see all my dash....gauges.....lights...stereo....wipers....EVERYTHING being changed etc while driving! Then...I started to think.....WTF???? LOL

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My mom’s CT4-V windshield got cracked by some idiot that threw something out of his car window a little over a year ago. Car was brand new, only 2 weeks old. None of the windshield repair companies would touch it because of all the tech in that windshield. Had to go through their Cadillac dealership. That was right in the thick of the chip shortages so they had to wait 3 months for a new windshield.

I haven’t had too many issues with windshields thankfully but Safelite is who my insurance recommended when I did have a crack a few years ago. The recalibration they needed to do did not require them to drive thankfully. I don’t know that I would have let them anyway.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That’s cool and scary at the same time!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I needed a windshield. I called safelite and they quoted me 1500 for a Ford logo shield. I called my local dealer and they quoted me 350 for the same Ford logo glass.

OP
OP
nathanks

nathanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I wonder what happens if you have disabled the cell connection to the car. I know several people in this forum have pulled the fuse in light of potential data collection issues.

So did you drive when they did this calibration?

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
I had Safelite install a front windshield and they did not request for the car to be driven to calibrate anything.

I also used them when someone busted my rear window out and their technician scratched up the paint around the rear window frame something fierce. Looks like the guy took his hand and just swept the glass off. Also, when he put the tape on the top of the glass to keep it in place while it set, he placed the tape over small glass shards that had been missed. Not to mention there were scuff marks on the fender where it looks like the guy's belt rubbed up against the car quite a bit. The manager's response was "our guys wear approved anti-scuff and scratch uniforms, so it wasn't his belt." Lol, okay. The customer service to rectify that whole ordeal left a lot to be desired. I won't be using them again for anything.

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
My windshield took a rock the other day and it cracked all the way across almost instantly. The insurance co scheduled the replacement through Safelite, but it says the installer will need to drive the car after install to calibrate everything.

Gotta tell ya, not a huge fan of this idea. The technicians / installers in my area are almost always people you wouldn't want taking your car out. Anyone been through this? I'll add my car is a 6-speed and I cringe watching people try to make it move.
I would not let a Safelite tech drive my Mach 1. I would drive and let the tech do tech stuff from the passenger seat. If the tech drops the "for his/her health, we can't both be in the car together" I'd say fine we will wear masks. I've experienced that situation a few times with service providers.

I opine that if a tech is left alone to drive one of our cars, they may not be able to resist just a little bit of seeing what the car can do and that is an absolute no-go for me. But, in all fairness, I did use Safelite once for a chip repair and the tech was cool and did good work. I'd use them again.
Sponsored