Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
This is what I did in the last company I owned. I don’t understand why they need to drive it? All calibrations are done in a static configuration even with advanced cruise control, that uses sonar to maintain its distance from other cars. So I would really research this before allowing anyone to drive your car. What my managers would do is have the customer drive the car, after replacement and calibration above 45mph for about a 1/4 mile. If nothing came up, then it was good to go. On very few occasions did we have to recalibrate the car and only 2ice did we have to send the car to the dealership because it had issues with programming and it couldn’t be calibrated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
nathanks

nathanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
This is what I did in the last company I owned. I don’t understand why they need to drive it? All calibrations are done in a static configuration even with advanced cruise control, that uses sonar to maintain its distance from other cars. So I would really research this before allowing anyone to drive your car. What my managers would do is have the customer drive the car, after replacement and calibration above 45mph for about a 1/4 mile. If nothing came up, then it was good to go. On very few occasions did we have to recalibrate the car and only 2ice did we have to send the car to the dealership because it had issues with programming and it couldn’t be calibrated.
I'm curious if this is true for the lane assist as well? It sounds like everyone in this thread has had wildly different experiences with this programming process.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I'm curious if this is true for the lane assist as well? It sounds like everyone in this thread has had wildly different experiences with this programming process.
You have different targets for different systems but it still a static configuration. Many times the inability to calibrate or failure to calibrate lane assist is because the camera stand on the windshield at times tends to be off by millimeters and throws off the camera.

IMHO all these gadgets dumb down drivers and is made to make more money to dealerships or glass replacement companies. People just need to pay attention get off your phone and drive.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Update...

Went to the appointment this morning. Asked about the driving portion and if it would be ok if I drove. The lady acted like I offended her and started raising her voice. "NO SIR, I would NEVER put my technicians in that situation". Then proceeded to beat me down for several minutes about how they would have to assume any liability if the configuration wasn't done properly.

There obviously wasn't any way to reason with her, and I really didn't appreciate how she was talking to me, so I left.
It sucks that this happened but why did you walkout? Why not demand to speak to the manager and/or owner? If the woman was this person I would have gotten her name and asked for the phone number of corporate. I would have made the call right then and there. I bet her attitude would have changed.

OP
OP
nathanks

nathanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
IMHO all these gadgets dumb down drivers and is made to make more money to dealerships or glass replacement companies. People just need to pay attention get off your phone and drive.
Agreed. I wish mine didn't have it but I bought it off the lot and it just happened to be equipped. I've never used any of it.
It sucks that this happened but why did you walkout? Why not demand to speak to the manager and/or owner? If the woman was this person I would have gotten her name and asked for the phone number of corporate. I would have made the call right then and there. I bet her attitude would have changed.
She was it. Hence the "my techs" comment. I don't think corporate is going to care about a franchisee operating this way. Especially if it's under the guise of "we have to protect ourselves".

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'm not sure that I'd agree that corporate wouldn't care.
It was an insurance referral and insurance referrals are HUGE for Safelight. Hell, they're probably the only reason that Safelight is as big as they are and to treat a customer like that is disgraceful.
Personally I'd be lodging complaints with Safelight, my insurance agent and the insurance companies corporate. I'd be complaining about her attitude/rudeness, my concern for my car and how it was totally disregarded and for what a huge inconvenience Safelight and their employee has caused. And I'd be very vocal about spreading my horrible experience on social media.
As others in this thread have said, it's not an unusual or unreasonable ask and you should not have been dismissed and beaten down on.

OP
OP
nathanks

nathanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'm not sure that I'd agree that corporate wouldn't care.
It was an insurance referral and insurance referrals are HUGE for Safelight. Hell, they're probably the only reason that Safelight is as big as they are and to treat a customer like that is disgraceful.
Personally I'd be lodging complaints with Safelight, my insurance agent and the insurance companies corporate. I'd be complaining about her attitude/rudeness, my concern for my car and how it was totally disregarded and for what a huge inconvenience Safelight and their employee has caused. And I'd be very vocal about spreading my horrible experience on social media.
As others in this thread have said, it's not an unusual or unreasonable ask and you should not have been dismissed and beaten down on.
What does all this solve?

Even if corporate told them to bow down and cater to my every need, I still wouldn't go back. I have no desire to do business with them.

It's really as simple as... They are a business offering a product with set stipulations and customer service values. It wasn't what I was looking for, so we didn't line up on the deal. So I look elsewhere.
I'm sure lots of people are more than happy with them.

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1

Even if corporate told them to bow down and cater to my every need, I still wouldn't go back. I have no desire to do business with them.

It's really as simple as... They are a business offering a product with set stipulations and customer service values. It wasn't what I was looking for, so we didn't line up on the deal. So I look elsewhere.
I'm sure lots of people are more than happy with them.
Exactly !!! If I had the experience that you had......I'd have walked just as you! The tech I had did everything exactly as I would have. He was clean.....tedious about covering and protecting my car. He offered me the option of both pieces of glass and explained to me each step of what he was doing while removing the glass. Hell....he wouldn't even use my $1000.00 Snap-On shop vac to suck up glass! He and I B.S.'d in my driveway as he use to work @ a Ford Dealership. He showed me a ton of stuff about my car and even programmed my garage door opener! He tried to calibrate @ my house but could not and when I said that I'd follow him to the shop vs. him driving he was fine. No eyeroll or anything. Guess I got a good one!

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
the dynamic calibration process may take up to two full tanks of gas as the technician performs multiple calibration burnouts and flybys past his co workers :cwl: additional track time visit may apply
For mine it took at least one 1.5g right turn and a 1.5g stop.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE

What does it accomplish? It holds them accountable. Perhaps if someone before you had held her accountable you would not have had the unfortunate experience you did.
I'm in no way suggesting that you go back to them. I probably wouldn't either. But I would be complaining to everyone I could think of.
Too much bad behavior receives no consequences because no one says anything. How can a company improve their customers experience if they aren't made aware that there is a problem?

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
My wife's car has one of those crazy nanny units...I could see calibrating that, but as asked above...calibrate what?