Safelite Driving Car After Install?

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
The radar for the cruise control is in the bumper, left portion of the lower grille.
The only thing that there is connected to the windshield are the rain sensor and the Image Processing Module "A" for the lane keeping assist and (maybe, not sure if that or the radar) the auto braking feature.

These "calibrations" sounds all strange to me, at best you would need to car to look at some specific image to have the Image Processing Module "A" software learn the new geometry. But while driving, I have my doubts.
For the wipers, the sensor is much dumber than this and does not need calibration.
Trying to joyride?
Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
I wonder what happens if you have disabled the cell connection to the car. I know several people in this forum have pulled the fuse in light of potential data collection issues.

So did you drive when they did this calibration?
I very much doubt they are remotely accessing the car through the cell connection. Safelite probably connects a device to the OBD port for remote programming.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I took my car in for paint repair on the LR quarter under warranty this year. Had a chip in the windshield and thought that it was a good time to have it replaced since it was in the shop. When I picked up the car, I checked all of my gauges since it had to be driven to and from the body shop for the glass replacement. Hmm...I hope the little bastard had a good time. I had reset the accelerometer when I dropped the car off and looky here! Somone had made a right turn and braked really hard, since it was showing 1.5G in both instances. I let the manger know and of course he blamed the glass shop. Really nothing that I could do about it.

But, you know, I might just tell anyone who may need to drive it to calibrate anything that I will be the driver while they are doing so.

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
I wonder what happens if you have disabled the cell connection to the car. I know several people in this forum have pulled the fuse in light of potential data collection issues.

So did you drive when they did this calibration?
I did and actually got pulled over doing 45 in a 50.....Officer said my emergency flashers were on and wanted to make sure all was ok....funny story cause the Ford gent kept telling the Safelite tech....just a lil bit longer while the officer was behind me. I drove about a half mile being lit up ! LOL

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Eyesight on Subaru s 'sometimes" needs the same calibrations but other times the glass is replaced and no adjustments needed.
Yup. The windshield on my wife's Subie needed to be replaced at their shop instead of the driveway because of the Eyesight calibration.

Sponsored

Aaronjv712

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
My windshield took a rock the other day and it cracked all the way across almost instantly. The insurance co scheduled the replacement through Safelite, but it says the installer will need to drive the car after install to calibrate everything.

Gotta tell ya, not a huge fan of this idea. The technicians / installers in my area are almost always people you wouldn't want taking your car out. Anyone been through this? I'll add my car is a 6-speed and I cringe watching people try to make it move.
Former safelite technician here. Fords have a system that call for the dynamic recalibration. I only ever did it on f150s but it's only for when you have adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist ect. I've had plenty of customers that didn't want me to drive the vehicle so I just sat passenger and told them what to do. I specifically remember a lady didn't want me to drive her miata so I allowed her to drive and it makes it easier so I can pay attention to just the scanner and not driving/ looking at the tablet.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Lane keeping needs to be recalibrated after a windshield replacement and with the Ford system the car needs to be driven to do the recalibration. When I had the windshield done in my GT with all the driver assists they forgot to do the calibration. On the drive home the lane keeping system kept trying to pull me over to the shoulder until I disabled it. There was a 3-4 foot lane position discrepancy until they recalibrated the system.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I have insurance with zero deductible (on all my vehicles) on windshield replacements due to my Jeep Wrangler's windshield being almost upright and prone to rock chips.

Even though my insurance will cover 100% of the replacement cost, I will bark at high price. Safelite is too expensive, the reason I went to a local, small shop. I also think it will help keeping insurance cost in the end (hope so).
I seriously doubt that you saved the insurance company any money. In fact my guess is that you cost them money over the Safelite install.
Insurance companies negotiate the price down based on replacing thousands and thousands of windshields. What they pay has absolutely no bearing on what Safelight charges private parties. My insurance company has Safelight on their website and actively recommends/directs you to use them. Do you really think that one of the most penny pinching industries ever would do that if they could have it done cheaper elsewhere?
I don't.

As for them driving, I don't think so. But I'm fine driving them around.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I seriously doubt that you saved the insurance company any money. In fact my guess is that you cost them money over the Safelite install.
Insurance companies negotiate the price down based on replacing thousands and thousands of windshields. What they pay has absolutely no bearing on what Safelight charges private parties. My insurance company has Safelight on their website and actively recommends/directs you to use them. Do you really think that one of the most penny pinching industries ever would do that if they could have it done cheaper elsewhere?
I don't.

As for them driving, I don't think so. But I'm fine driving them around.
Yes, I got three quotes before I picked the repair shop.

traktrbeam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford GT Premium PP1
Had Safelite replace the windshield in my Crown Vic. Only complaint is the mirror fell off within a month.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Yes, I got three quotes before I picked the repair shop.
Doesn't matter, they were giving you a quote for a single windshield. Even if the shop gave the insurance company a discount I'd bet it still cost them more than Safelight doing it.
Doesn't matter though as long as you're happy. I know I don't use the insurance companies recommend body shop for repairs. I use the one that's given me impeccable services for 20+ years.

OP
OP
nathanks

nathanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Update...

Went to the appointment this morning. Asked about the driving portion and if it would be ok if I drove. The lady acted like I offended her and started raising her voice. "NO SIR, I would NEVER put my technicians in that situation". Then proceeded to beat me down for several minutes about how they would have to assume any liability if the configuration wasn't done properly.

There obviously wasn't any way to reason with her, and I really didn't appreciate how she was talking to me, so I left.

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
Update...

Went to the appointment this morning. Asked about the driving portion and if it would be ok if I drove. The lady acted like I offended her and started raising her voice. "NO SIR, I would NEVER put my technicians in that situation". Then proceeded to beat me down for several minutes about how they would have to assume any liability if the configuration wasn't done properly.

There obviously wasn't any way to reason with her, and I really didn't appreciate how she was talking to me, so I left.
Maybe try another Safelite shop or go with a privately owned biz. I absolutely hate poor customer service especially if there is attitude. If it were me, I would be inclined to voice my displeasure via social media and include their company profile handle and see if they respond. Good luck.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Never had a problem with safelite on my F150s and F350s.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Check this out.
the dynamic calibration process may take up to two full tanks of gas as the technician performs multiple calibration burnouts and flybys past his co workers :cwl: additional track time visit may apply
Sponsored