Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It may also have a little to do with the tire selection and size as well, I do not have this sensation at all on my Premium with the 20" wheel package, no side to side movement cornering with the exception of when it breaks loose =)

I think its a combo of the cradle movement and taller sidewalls contributing to the feeling. The cradle lockout will definitely help, but stiffer sidewalls will also aid in reducing that feeling (does not remove the cradle movement just stiffens the tires own give during it.)

nolezack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM Performance Pack
Performance Package makes a big difference. He has the base model which is really soft on the ride.

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I have a 14GT and a 16 Ecoboost. The Ecoboost blows away the GT in regards to handling. What tire pressures are you running on rear? I'm sure you know exactly if you've been having handling problems.

hungryhippos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Have a base model 15 ecoboost,17 inch rim I'm fine with the size wheel and tire setup,not a big fan of large rims has anyone else experienced a rear side to side wiggle when driving,Ass end of the car seems hyper sensitive to any road deviations,The cars down right annoying to drive,is it tire related or is it realated to the IRS systems,Really miss my live axle coyote.If it's tires then that should be a simple fix,car is wearing the factory tires from Ford,If it's the character of the car,I may sell it, the constant steering input is annoying.Only driven the car 3000 miles in 6 months.Havent data logged for my tune plus e tune and trans tune yet,Loosing interest fast.
When you say wiggle, do you mean tires literally slipping or wiggle like soft springs? Does this happen while going straight or going around a corner? Are you maintaining a certain speed, accelerating, braking? Have you checked your tires and have you ruled out wheel alignment?

When I think of cars that are sensitive to the road its usually because of a toe adjustment. On my evos stock alignment was ~-.07 toe in and -1 camber, I eventually switched to 0 toe and -2 camber.

I have a stock base 16 ecoboost so I'm curious what you're feeling and if I feel it as well.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I think he may be referring to:

Suppose you are over taking another vehicle (safely) on the highway, so you pull out to make the pass and as you accelerate and then swing back into the lane after making the pass - while making that maneuver back into the lane, it feels like the car is "snaking" into the lane...

Or if the center of the lanes have those "rumble" strip cutouts, it will feel like the ass end of the car wants to break free as making the transition from left (passing & overtaking) to merging right back into the lane (execution of overtaking completed).

Is that what you're feeling?

OP
OP
Mustang Mikes Queen Creek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
YES,a crazy secondary spring ass wiggle,Like a truck with soft side wall,If I knew this platform needed so much bs money tossed at it just to enjoy the car,I would have passed and built another FoxBody,Its a nice car to cruise every other weekend at best,I def like the way my 2012 brembo handled,If that was an auto,I would have kept it.

So far I've purchase a cobb,a tune+ tune for life and trans tune,turbo smart wastegate from tune plus,Offroad down pipe,mit pipe,and aem panel filter,And upr dv catch can system,The only thing on the car is the upr catch can,Still haven't brought myself to peel the face off the car to change the junk intercooler out,and can't run the new parts until I do.Is what it is,when I'm done being annoyed with the purchase I'll install the intercooler and datalog,Then procede to buy a bunch of suspension trash for the rear end stability issues.The two piece driveshaft has me concerned,so a single aluminium unit will go in as well,Bassically for a new car,their a money pit right off the bat,lol

hungryhippos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
YES,a crazy secondary spring ass wiggle,Like a truck with soft side wall,If I knew this platform needed so much bs money tossed at it just to enjoy the car,I would have passed and built another FoxBody,Its a nice car to cruise every other weekend at best,I def like the way my 2012 brembo handled,If that was an auto,I would have kept it.
Maybe you prefer the feeling of a solid axle? Assuming your alignment is where it should be, maybe the difference you're feeling is the tires adjusting to the road individually as compared to them being tied together. I can only associate the feelings you're getting when I push the car hard. During normal driving and overtaking the car is incredibly civil.

It's hard to make complaints about this car when it's sooo cheap. Plus this turbo has soo much more potential than the majority of other stock turbos. There are few cars out there where you can spend a couple grand on a intake, exhaust, and a good tune and get an extra 100 hp and tq out of it.I think you want that v8 power, a 4 cylinder turbo can make as much power if not more than a v8 given enough money but it will ever feel like a v8. In fact, I'd say when shopping for a car, the way that power makes you feel is probably more important than the hp/tq numbers.

My main issue with the rear end is controlling it around a corner using the gas pedal, it can drift and I can get that that fat ass to hang out a bit, but I'm having a hard time controlling it perfectly. I wish there was more power on the higher end of the rpm's because it feels like blah after like ~5.0-5.5k rpms. That being said, its a 4 cylinder turbo but doesn't feel like it carries the associated penalties (minus the bad stock tune). The turbo never feels like it kicks in unlike other platforms (hello every jdm tuner car ever), it accelerates smoothly (although slowly in my opinion) I'm not a great driver by any means but I think this car just feels soo much better to drive than previous models and i'm excited to see what the car can do if my wife lets me put in JRZ 2 ways (that won't happen anytime soon).

I hate the feel of this electric wheel, it's so light and its virtually impossible to feel the road. While this is great for daily driving, its hardly the feel I want in a steering wheel when it comes to enjoying the sportiness of the car.

Suppose you are over taking another vehicle (safely) on the highway, so you pull out to make the pass and as you accelerate and then swing back into the lane after making the pass - while making that maneuver back into the lane, it feels like the car is "snaking" into the lane...
Is that a bad thing? snaking to me sounds like being agile which is good. Again, the s550 has a stiff frame and unusually good suspension for a car this cheap.

Or if the center of the lanes have those "rumble" strip cutouts, it will feel like the ass end of the car wants to break free as making the transition from left (passing & overtaking) to merging right back into the lane (execution of overtaking completed).
- So that feeling is something I notice on cars that have 0 toe on the rear or the rear tires just aren't getting any traction. Either way it's a solvable problem either by tire alignment or better tires. I can replicate that feeling of wanting to break with almost any car given the right road circumstances. If the car wants to break free and its a normal road, there is something seriously wrong with the car because this is an incredibly civil sports car. the suspension was designed specifically so that the rear end wouldn't be disrupted by little things like that.

There's probably only 1 to buy a EB over a GT, correct me if i'm factually wrong but this has been my experience having driven both EB's and GT's with PP.

#1 - Handling - EB's handle better than GT's. I can enter corner faster and come out of it faster than a GT due to weight and how it's distributed. If you want power over handling, the EB platform is not for you.

Reasons to buy a ecoboost in general

#2 - You want a mustang/sports car with reasonable gas milage

#3 - You want a car that looks like a mustang but you can't afford a GT

#4 - You want a easy-to-drive, fun, inexpensive rear wheel drive sports car with an easily controllable amount of power and is also american. (I'd recommend a FRS/BRZ or even a miata over a mustang any day if you want a easy to drive rear wheel sports car)

Don't forget, it was only a couple years ago that GT's barely made joke amounts of power like 225, 260 and 300hp out of a 8 cylinder engine. Ford was behind the times when it came to techology but the last couple years have changed. I know, the concept of independent suspension, direct injection, turbos, amd variable valve timing is a foreign concept to alot of american car owners. I have to remind myself that the rest of the world discovered that stuff decades ago haha.

---

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
All I know is when my wife is in the car she looks like a bobble head,Like I said it's a nice looking car,good wash and waxer and nice to drive a day or a too a week,But it doesent cry drive me and beat the piss out of me llike my built foxbodies,I really didn't get that feeling with the 12 either,That car felt heavy and it felt like when I rowed gears that something was going to shriek or shatter,lol,I bought the 15 with 7500 miles so I got it pretty cheap,but no way is it worth 30grand new Hell I wasn't that thrilled to pay 23 grand for it,but our dollar isn't worth anything any more and things are the way that they are.
Either way It's something to put around in until my Foxy is finished.Probaby just give it to my son as a graduation gift and go find another 86 4 eye to drop a coyote 6r80 into,The best of both worlds,after all it just a car,def won't be falling in love with it anytime soon,but it's something to drive other then my work trucks and it's darn good on gas.Thanks for the input.

Alloy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 EB
I think he may be referring to:

Is that what you're feeling?
i too have this same rear wiggle and mine is a PP EB lowered with Eibach pro's. It's annoying as hell. I don't feel confident that I can keep control of the rear in extreme situations. I have the cradle lockout kit coming but was wondering about subframe alignment bushings. Not sure what else I might need to feel a difference, but i also didn't want the ride to become too terribly harsh or to be able to hear more road/driveline noise. Thoughts?

Last question: will the steeda sub frame alignment kit work with the CB005?

Last edited:

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
All I know is when my wife is in the car she looks like a bobble head,Like I said it's a nice looking car,good wash and waxer and nice to drive a day or a too a week,But it doesent cry drive me and beat the piss out of me llike my built foxbodies,I really didn't get that feeling with the 12 either,That car felt heavy and it felt like when I rowed gears that something was going to shriek or shatter,lol,I bought the 15 with 7500 miles so I got it pretty cheap,but no way is it worth 30grand new Hell I wasn't that thrilled to pay 23 grand for it,but our dollar isn't worth anything any more and things are the way that they are.
Either way It's something to put around in until my Foxy is finished.Probaby just give it to my son as a graduation gift and go find another 86 4 eye to drop a coyote 6r80 into,The best of both worlds,after all it just a car,def won't be falling in love with it anytime soon,but it's something to drive other then my work trucks and it's darn good on gas.Thanks for the input.
I'd try the Steeda subframe braces. They make a pretty big difference and they are easy as pie to install. And fairly cheap...

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
i too have this same rear wiggle and mine is a PP EB lowered with Eibach pro's. It's annoying as hell. I don't feel confident that I can keep control of the rear in extreme situations. I have the cradle lockout kit coming but was wondering about subframe alignment bushings. Not sure what else I might need to feel a difference, but i also didn't want the ride to become too terribly harsh or to be able to hear more road/driveline noise. Thoughts?

Last question: will the steeda sub frame alignment kit work with the CB005?
Again, I believe the "rubber band" feeling yall keep talkin' bout is related to the IRS sub-frame movement in concert with the squat. Basically the sub-frame will shift a bit due to the bushings which creates a bit of an unsteady feeling. I tested it out at 80 and thought I may have made a horrible mistake until I realized the car wasn't loosing traction, it felt like it was momentarily.

That was on my bone stock base model, no sub-frame bushings and base model springs which are softer than the PP springs. Then I installed Ford X Street springs and the frequency and severity of that feeling lessened but still was there.

Just recently I installed the steeda sub-frame bushing supports and I have yet to feel that sensation while cornering at high speed. There's a merging ramp I periodically travel that's long and has a bit of a dip in it mid way that would cause the suspension to compress and really bring out that feeling, went over that recently after now having done both the springs and sub-frame bushings, I did not notice that sensation, or if it was there it was very minor.

Now I do have that squat sensation when exiting a corner under throttle, but that's normal function of the rear suspension and boy does that thing steer on exit under power. I can give it all the power it has and it goes where I point it (torsen is a big help too). That is a similar if not the same feeling, but given the much lower speeds is less unnerving.

I believe what we are describing is normal for the IRS. There's nothing wrong with it and you should have lots of steering when the rear squats like that. I would almost describe it as the rear feels like its "rotating", as if I had steering in the rear momentarily.

Do you know anyone else with an S550 mustang? Maybe take a ride in theirs or have them drive yours just to confirm there is no mechanical issues. If you can confirm that, then it's just the vast difference in design between the S197 and S550. However the S550 is by far a faster car on the track and the IRS is a big part of that. It's also more stable on bumpy roads, way more stable than the old straight axles. Part of this might be that your just not used to the feel of the car if you rule out any actual mechanical problems.

But I would suggest street lowering springs, sway bars and the steeda sub-frame bushing supports before passing final judgment. Those are all relatively cheap and will completely change dynamic of the car. The stock base model setup to me felt like a Ford Raptor, a nice plush deep suspension. It was a comfy to ride and did really well on very bumpy roads, just soaked up the bumps and was stable, but it limited high speed cornering quite a bit compared to now and it still does really well on the super bumpy country roads (more like little mounds or wavy sections, not pot holes). I was really impressed by the change that just the springs and bushings made. Sway-bars will be even better.

hungryhippos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
are you guys powering through a corner when you feel this? are you lifting off? constant speed? I have the base ecoboost and I only feel the rear end move when i'm heavy footed in a corner.

I'm also wondering if you guys just aren't used to 4 wheel independant suspension or if i'm just used to AWD turbo 4 bangers (mitsu evo 40k super car without the 600hp) and subaru wrx's king of understeer and the lego car of the japanese world. At this point I think we're talking about completely different things at this point and i'm just an idiot. ~__~

Sway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt (Oxford White)
I feel this same snaky feeling with my car under hard acceleration going straight, I thought I was losing traction at first, but it was a noticeable body wiggle. Never felt it before until I put my springs and spacers on. Had an alignment done, it's good, nothing else is wrong that I can see, it's really weird.

GOTZS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT
I am in Phoenix if you want to feel the difference in stock versus fully done up, by far the best handling mustang I have owned. PM me if interested
Sponsored