Rusting bodywork

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Yes. They could sell a lot more in Europe with better build quality and a better quality interior. It is a 2 generation old interior (Focus circa 2006) in terms of quality. Moulded plastic stitching - seriously! My Mondeo Vignale was way better inside.
Not to mention it only has four seats. I mean, wtf? Who buys a car that's missing a seat, and only short people can even fit in the back? Why don't you buy a normal car at half the price? What's the point of this car? I mean, what is it really for?

(Sorry: forgot to lock my screen and my father got on. He has apparently grown bored of telling just me his opinion.)
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Not to mention it only has four seats. I mean, wtf? Who buys a car that's missing a seat, and only short people can even fit in the back? Why don't you buy a normal car at half the price? What's the point of this car? I mean, what is it really for?

(Sorry: forgot to lock my screen and my father got on. He has apparently grown bored of telling just me his opinion.)
I don't need to accept lower quality just because it is a coupe. With ÂŁ70k Mach 1's in the UK it is competing with much better made, better handling, equally fast cars. If other companies can do it so can Ford, and as I was pointing out even Ford can do it so why not?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I don't need to accept lower quality just because it is a coupe. With ÂŁ70k Mach 1's in the UK it is competing with much better made, better handling, equally fast cars. If other companies can do it so can Ford, and as I was pointing out even Ford can do it so why not?
Yeah, it sure would be nice if they did. Does it affect sales much at all in Europe? Not so sure about that. I think the people who buy Mustangs here in Europe are people who are enthusiasts, so we accept the lower quality and if we have done our research, also expect it. Otherwise, as you say, why not buy one of those "better made, better handling, equally fast cars" for the same money?

I don't think many people in Europe are looking at Mercedes, BMW, Audi, ... and Mustang, and then weighing up the pros and cons in an objective and analytical way when buying their new car. That's why I don't think somewhat inferior assembly quality, paint, and interiors affects sales much here, or that sales would be correspondingly improved if the quality improved. Just needs to be good enough for pieces not to fall off while I'm driving. ;-)

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it sure would be nice if they did. Does it affect sales much at all in Europe? Not so sure about that. I think the people who buy Mustangs here in Europe are people who are enthusiasts, so we accept the lower quality and if we have done our research, also expect it. Otherwise, as you say, why not buy one of those "better made, better handling, equally fast cars" for the same money?

I don't think many people in Europe are looking at Mercedes, BMW, Audi, ... and Mustang, and then weighing up the pros and cons in an objective and analytical way when buying their new car. That's why I don't think somewhat inferior assembly quality, paint, and interiors affects sales much here, or that sales would be correspondingly improved if the quality improved. Just needs to be good enough for pieces not to fall off while I'm driving. ;-)
A very dangerous route to follow. Build a substandard product and hope the customer is stupid enough to buy it anyway. How many more could they sell if they were higher quality (which would cost Ford very little as they already do it in their own range) There is no excuse for shoddy build quality, especially when the same company can do a better job elsewhere.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

I don think your average German car buyer would look at a Mustang but neither does your average Ford buyer, likewise an average BMW driver isnt going to buy an M car.
A few on the M2 forum i was on took the plunge and a few more nearly did but ended up not, it was always a car being mentioned over there and the interior and general quality always cropped up so I would disagree with you, it is seen as a stumbling block when it comes to buying one regardless of the v8

I can honestly say having paid under ÂŁ40k for my facelift GT Mustang brand new on 0% finance it was a great buy, would i buy one for ÂŁ58k, big fat no, my money would be going elsewhere and I would probably wait and see how the next generation m2 stacks up.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I don think your average German car buyer would look at a Mustang but neither does your average Ford buyer, likewise an average BMW driver isnt going to buy an M car.
A few on the M2 forum i was on took the plunge and a few more nearly did but ended up not, it was always a car being mentioned over there and the interior and general quality always cropped up so I would disagree with you, it is seen as a stumbling block when it comes to buying one regardless of the v8
Ok, I see. That's interesting.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I paid ÂŁ36k for mine in early 2016 and I'm glad I bought when I did, the amount of hype it created with people not knowing what it was and being surprised it had a 5.0L engine was amazing. I was tempted with the Fighter Jet Gray spec Mach 1 but I knew even though it was a newer, higher spec car it would never give me the same wow factor and with the time and money I'd spent on the GT and the ÂŁ55k price tag of the Mach 1, I realised I'd moved on and my new adventures would lie elsewhere. Saying that, the Mustang fun hasn't finished yet, I've got loads of mods still to install, I just won't be buying a new one.

And yes I've been sanding rust and respraying lots underneath the car.

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag
So my turn for a bubbling hood now, on the nearside top leading edge and underneath. Finally got hold of Ford UK Customer Services via Twitter, they have directed me to Dinnages in Haywards Heath (closest approved body shop to me), inspection on 6th January.

They (Dinnages) seem pretty clued up on the problem, fortunately I have a full set of body and paint check stamps.

A very happy Christmas and New Year to everyone, for me it has to be better than last year!

MY51 MUS corroding bonnet 1.jpg

MY51 MUS corroding bonnet 2.jpg

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
So my turn for a bubbling hood now, on the nearside top leading edge and underneath. Finally got hold of Ford UK Customer Services via Twitter, they have directed me to Dinnages in Haywards Heath (closest approved body shop to me), inspection on 6th January.

They (Dinnages) seem pretty clued up on the problem, fortunately I have a full set of body and paint check stamps.

A very happy Christmas and New Year to everyone, for me it has to be better than last year!

MY51 MUS corroding bonnet 1.jpg

MY51 MUS corroding bonnet 2.jpg
Yeah they don’t apply seam sealer in the corners from the factory….

Sponsored

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Actually looks worse on the underside than on the top.
Hope Ford have plenty of stock of pre facelift bonnets(hoods).
At least the chip shortage cannot be blamed for any delay.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

GT_MTL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yves
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium - 2018 F-150 XLT
Those stories are always scaring me ... I'm driving my 2018 GT in Québec all year long with snow, heavily salty roads (when it's dry, even the air is salty !) and besides some rust on drive train components there is nothing on the bodywork itself. How could it be such a difference ?? EU mustangs are built in the same factory in US/Canada , right ?

Yves.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i drive mine through the winter but now with wfh it's certainly dropped the mileage down so hopefully delay any salt induced rusty / corrosion issues

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Those stories are always scaring me ... I'm driving my 2018 GT in Québec all year long with snow, heavily salty roads (when it's dry, even the air is salty !) and besides some rust on drive train components there is nothing on the bodywork itself. How could it be such a difference ?? EU mustangs are built in the same factory in US/Canada , right ?

Yves.
Pretty sure it has nothing to do with where you drive it - the corrosion starts under the paint.
Sponsored