Sponsored

Rusting bodywork

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
I'm not critising the spec, merely using these points as an example of how I see Ford U.S. marketing dept did not advise or was ignored by vehicle program managers, on the demands and expectations of European customers.
As evidenced by this thread.
U.K. buyers do not appear to view the Mustang product as it is seen in the U.S. and U.K. customers clearly do not expect or are not keen to accept these levels of corrosion, faults, etc, as easily as U.S. customers might.
I have several friends colleagues etc in the US that won’t touch a mustang as it is perceived a cheap
Probably pretty hard because they'd need to justify the extra cost required to bring it to that standard and a manufacturer doesn't need to try harder when their product is going off like free beer. Failing ac evaps and oil coolers in 15-17s didn't stop the progress of Mustang sales one bit.

That is indeed interesting. By contamination do you mean the alloy has contaminants in it hence why repainting is only a temporary fix? Did Jag overcome it?
aluminium is a mofo for filiform corrosion. To properly treat aluminium it has to be surgically clean, alodined, primered with Real high end product and then painted.
the aluminium per say doesn’t corrode because of poor quality and contaminants In the substructure.
It corrodes due to bad prep. The end.
well actually to be fair, the aluminium part should be coated with a layer of pure aluminium over the part For added corrosion protection. I dunno if Ford does this ?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have no issue with lack of parking sensors, cheap hard plastic interior etc as I fully understand the mustang is built to a price point and that’s fine. You don’t get soft touch plastics but you get a V8 so there. My gripe with ford is that we get an oil cooler that can set the car on fire when it fails or kill the motor. We get an air con condenser that fails after a few yrs, then on top of that we get poorly prepped alloy panels painted by my 4 yr old daughter with her finger paints. I’ve just paid £1000 to replace the faulty oil cooler post warranty. I don’t want to have to spend another £2000 replacing the wings and bonnet with fibreglass ones that won’t corrode and look shite. I enjoyed the mustang but now it’s corroding on the front end despite 14,230 miles and 4 yrs in the garage with no use at all over winters, I’m out.... going to chop it in for a used Lexus rc-f or similar that’s been built by people who care about quality.

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I understand you’re pissed at Ford, but Doing what you’re gonna do won’t make Ford change the quality or lacking customer support.
Youre just gonna stress yourself out.
Just sayin.
But hey, it would be fun watching people’s response.

The service I get from BMW is about 500% better than Ford. The quality is light years ahead. But sadly I like my mustang more than myM car.
Sometimes one just cannot win .
Totally . I get far better service from bmw and Volvo dealers on my other cars despite the Volvo being worth all of ÂŁ750. Just thought it may be a bit of a giggle and make me feel better. See a bit of the country and cost ford a few sales which might make me a little happier with the situation before I check out of ford ownership for good.

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Of course we’re all right to p*ss moan about spec, quality and faults, me included.

But the Stang is like a really hot girlfriend. You tolerate all the crap that comes as part of the package because, well she’s so hot!

I still look at mine and smile, fire it up and grin. For the money I really struggle to think of anything I’d swap it for.

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Taking that analogy and running with it. A mustang is like having a hot girlfriend with a STD and bad breath. Looks good from a distance but you wouldn’t want to get too close.....

Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
A mustang is like having a hot girlfriend with a STD and bad breath. Looks good from a distance but you wouldn’t want to get too close.....
Like it!
Just as well I have a drawer full of condoms and she loves doggy:)

I guess the fact that you’ve had yours for 4 years and I’ve had mine for 3, we’ve both tolerated all the issues and the atrocious dealers.
But there’s something that draws people in .

Demand is still strong, despite prices virtually doubling since launch.

The Mustang image is so strong Ford have marketed the halo effect by applying the Mustang moniker to an otherwise dull electric family hatchback.

And despite all this, people still want one.

Certainly it makes an interesting case study for marketing students!

I guess it’s a bit like an Apple Mac. In a Microsoft world, it’s quirkiness and niche features give it huge appeal.

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
@v8hgt if it wasn't for the corrosion would you still trade it? Have you explored any consumer law options?
If ford could paint aluminium properly if if they had made the front end out of steel then I would have no plans to get shot of it. I’ve made peace with all its other failings. This was the final straw for me.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Fair enough Nick. I have a Lexus and love it, but it's very, very different to the Mustang. 19+ GT out of the question too?

OP
OP
v8hgt

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Fair enough Nick. I have a Lexus and love it, but it's very, very different to the Mustang. 19+ GT out of the question too?
I can’t see ford suddenly learning how to prep alloy for painting between 17 and 19 so I’m afraid I will not be putting my money into another Ford ever. I’ve had lesser Lexus in the past and been impressed with their build quality and customer service. I suspect their 5 litre coupe is probably a fine car too. It may not be quite as dynamic as a c63 or m4 but it will be better made and more dependable than either of them. Also the mustang is currently getting a £26,000 valuation which means pretty much the same as a 2015 Lexus rcf

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I can’t see ford suddenly learning how to prep alloy for painting between 17 and 19 so I’m afraid I will not be putting my money into another Ford ever. I’ve had lesser Lexus in the past and been impressed with their build quality and customer service. I suspect their 5 litre coupe is probably a fine car too. It may not be quite as dynamic as a c63 or m4 but it will be better made and more dependable than either of them. Also the mustang is currently getting a £26,000 valuation which means pretty much the same as a 2015 Lexus rcf
Do a bit of googling before you buy an RC - problems with alloy wheel corrosion seem widespread, as well as a rear wheel arch rust recall. If you want a car that will never corrode a Peugeot 405 is perfect - they went on forever, and ever, and ever .........

Ford improved the prep on post 2018 cars, but it's still aluminium so more likely to be a problem than steel.

Have you ever heard of entropy - it always wins in the end !

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It is all a bit of a worrying read and if my 2019 GT starts to show corrosion signs it will be gone. I've noticed the door hinges (they arent the actual door hinges though, has been discussed on another thread) are corroding, easy to replace or grease but it does make me wonder what else is basically disintegrating. My car is always garaged too.

Ford are and have ventured into new markets in the UK recently, the GT Mustang and now the Mach 1. Based on my experience of Ford after sales they really dont seem to understand a customer who spends ÂŁ45k-60k (Mach 1 money) is going to feel let down when their experience is the same as if they had purchased a ÂŁ20k Fiesta. I am perfectly happy with the Ford service when i take our had since new 66 plate Focus in for servicing etc as it lives up to my expectations. When my GT has been in I have to say I expect better and certainly got far far far better when BMW had my M2.

But service aside which I knew wasnt going to be the greatest and had accepted it was part of the Mustang journey along with some odd choices of materials and general fit and finish again which i sort of accepted when i purchased the car. Corrosion on cars that are only a few years old is shocking and totally unacceptable.

Last edited:

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
mmmm a couple of posts on this thread sound / read familiar. Wonder if we'll get the proper v8 sound debate starting again

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Totally get that a Mustang isn’t a keeper for everyone and it’s a shame to sell up after a bad experience with a car.

what I don’t get is why anyone who’s sold up after an alleged bad experience continues to be an active member of this forum. Life’s too short, move on...

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Back on topic

corrosion like this after such a short period is uncommon (and disgraceful) on relatively new cars in the EU/UK.
Yes and no. For sure you don’t see rotten cars driving around. As mentioned JLR have issues and I gather Mercedes 30 year corrosion warranty is worthless so read into that whatever you will. Whilst out and about today I didn’t see any newish cars with obvious body corrosion but alloys are a different story. Pics from a Toyota and an Evoque...
6A2CC91E-09E3-4B53-B78B-2D10A287D4EA.jpeg
D82B1DD2-7DF9-4443-821E-0BD17B650DBA.jpeg
Sponsored