Running car with open headers.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I have a set of Texas Speed Long tubes, catless. I need to take my car to a shop but at the moment I do not have an exhaust on the car. Can I drive my car a couple of miles with open headers and not hurt nothing or am I risking my valves.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
You're fine. Plenty of people, me included, race with open headers (cutouts). It will be stupid loud though.

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
You're fine. Plenty of people, me included, race with open headers (cutouts). It will be stupid loud though.
so if you don't mind to elaborate. Where does the idea of bent valves with no exhaust comes from.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just keep the revs below 4K so you don’t damage the wheels bearings ...

Joking aside, keep away from full throttle, you don’t want to damage anything under the car as the heat won’t be exiting straight out of the back anymore :like:

WD:like:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I think you mean burnt valves. I can't speak to the origin of the myth but it's not something you need to worry about on these cars. I also wouldn't worry about hurting anything under the car. Drive it to the shop and get your work done. You're fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Just keep the revs below 4K so you don’t damage the wheels bearings ...

Joking aside, keep away from full throttle, you don’t want to damage anything under the car as the heat won’t be exiting straight out of the back anymore :like:

My, bad, terminology was never my strong suite lol. But, ill be sure to make sure I don't damage my wheel bearings haha.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think you mean burnt valves. I can't speak to the origin of the myth but it's not something you need to worry about on these cars. I also wouldn't worry about hurting anything under the car. Drive it to the shop and get your work done. You're fine.
Do you remember the post by the guy who’s tailpipes we’re short and didn’t point straight out of the valance ... ?

I’m not saying don’t do it, just be careful and don’t do any big pulls :like:

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate that, I have heard both, burnt valves, and then heard something about if cold air rushes back into the exhaust that the valves could bend from cooling to quickly. I basically been told its a bad idea to run open headers. I haven't run open before. I just don't want to have anything damaged and shell out more money for parts. .

The long tubes I bought where used, the person before welded the resonator delete to the connecting pipes. I was going to take that off, just take it to the exhaust shop and have them make me a 3 inch exhaust. Cheaper than buying new connecting pipes and mid pipe and I have had good luck with them in a previous build.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
It wouldn't burn the valves, but bending/warping/cracking are possible if there was no headers on it. With headers like a million race cars the headers hold enough heat to slow down the cooling. The rapid cooling is what could cause valve issues.

You're good to go with headers on. But damn it will sound like a tractor. LOL

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
It wouldn't burn the valves, but bending/warping/cracking are possible if there was no headers on it. With headers like a million race cars the headers hold enough heat to slow down the cooling. The rapid cooling is what could cause valve issues.

You're good to go with headers on. But damn it will sound like a tractor. LOL
well, I guess i'm going to get the exhaust issue fixed asap. I guess I'm going to piss off my neighbors in a few days.

Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
I have a set of Texas Speed Long tubes, catless. I need to take my car to a shop but at the moment I do not have an exhaust on the car. Can I drive my car a couple of miles with open headers and not hurt nothing or am I risking my valves.
Like everyone has mentioned, you'll be perfectly fine to drive the car in lower rpm's without damaging anything. If you end up needing a mid-section, feel free to call us and pick our brains.

2015-mustang-gt-exhaust-systems

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
You're good, just don't floor it. Keep an eye out for cops tho you'll have every cops attention in a miles range LOL

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Unless the tune is messed up you won't have any problems running open headers.
Floor it if you want, do a full 1/4 mile pass, heck do a 1-mile full throttle run, you won't hurt anything other than your ears. Well maybe your wallet if the local Cops catch you.

That said depending on where the O2 sensor is located, it may cause the engine to run a bit rich.

Wear ear plugs.

That bent valve thing dates back to the 1920's or so. I think some kid took off the manifold on his Dad's model T.....

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I believe the bent valves theory comes from running without exhaust manifolds or headers of any type. Back when lake pipes became popular. your fine to run it with manifolds.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
You're good, just don't floor it. Keep an eye out for cops tho you'll have every cops attention in a miles range LOL
I did that once way back in the 80s. Drove to the muffler shop with open headers on a 302. I went through the neighborhoods so that cops on the main road wouldn't stop me, and I didn't have to do a lot of revving. The looks I got :crackup: People were coming out of their house to see what was coming up the road, and I was barely off idle. It was loud as he** and hilarious.
Sponsored