Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
As much as some people hate the front end of the S550 (which is why I believe Ford is looking to redesign it).... I really hope they don't backtrack and succumb to the hardcore S197 fans. If anything they can make it look a little more boxy to match with the rear end but hopefully it's not too drastic of a change.

I don't think they'll kill of the V8...look how well its doing here...and in Europe. I believe something like 70% of Mustang sales in Europe were GT's with Manual Transmissions.

As far as the V6... at least if they make an EB V6...they didn't really kill off anything lol.
Sponsored

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
I personally love, LOVE, the front of the S550. Some people are just resistent to change I guess.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
MY18 is the official S550 refresh. Don't expect major changes, more so a few styling improvements and probably some parts from the Shelby to be phased down as options on the GT.

Think basically of the 14 Focus ST -> 15 Focus ST. They modified the faschia, gave it some new features like rear camera and fast charge USB, but that's about it.
Where did you see it was official in MY18?

I think you'll see changes/refresh in October of 2016s (MY17) to compete with the '16 Camaro release coming in a month..

Don't think Ford would let Chevy have almost 2 years of no changes from the Mustang from October of '15 through October of '17. Just don't see that happening.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I personally love, LOVE, the front of the S550. Some people are just resistent to change I guess.
The front end is one of the major reasons I bought it.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Let's be honest....If they did retire the V8 in favor of a TT V6, would you really care that much as long as it still preformed the same or better than their competitors V8's?

There was a time when the thought of driving a 4 cylinder anything disgusted me, but I've grown past that and realized it doesn't matter as long as the performance is within what I deem to be acceptable.

nope sorry wouldn't want it unless it sounded really exotic or like a v8. same reason why i picked the gt over the ecoboost but that's me.

I really hope they add a glassroof/sunroof option in the refresh.
gonna be difficult because of the fastback design with the roof but that would be nice.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I wouldn't have thought/questioned that Ford would even possibly drop the V8 in the Mustang until they showed the Raptor and Ford GT which were both high power supercharged V8s in previous years now with the TT V6 Ecoboost.

That TT V6 is no joke though. They can easily make a 500+hp Mustang GT (GT350 numbers but much more torque being a turbo) with the TT V6 that is still de-tuned a bit from the Ford GT not to cannibalize that halo car, but still plenty more power and torque than the 5.0

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
nope sorry wouldn't want it unless it sounded really exotic or like a v8. same reason why i picked the gt over the ecoboost but that's me.
Sorry, but you wont have a choice eventually so you might want to start entertaining the idea now. It is an inevitable fact that engines will continue to decrease in size/cylinders and instead focus on increased output per liter.

Dat37tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 64A
The EB Mustang is basically a PCM flash from 340hp, I think this, and the crap Stock IC were done intentionally to leave more space between it and the V8.

The FoRS is 345 hp, basically the same engine with a revised turbo.

The Coyote can make 500 crank HP with long tubes and a tune so I assume a catted exhaust with a more EPA friendly tune could see 460~480 hp easy. Again I think Ford did this intentionally to keep more space between the GT and the GT350 and allow them to keep leap frogging Chevy with minimal cost.

Basically Ford 'could' have released a 340 HP Ecoboost and 460 HP GT in 2015 but GM would have then Just released a 345 HP V6 and 470 ss in 2016. Both make more money with incremental upgrades
Yeah I can see how all that works, and its probably happened just like you said. It's just always the fun guessing game of seeing where they go from what were predicting. Of all the opinions and guesses posted on the entire forum, some are going to be right. or at least a little right

15GTStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
There is no doubt in my mind that the V8 will be dropped in the near future. I mean come on, even their Supercar the Ford GT has gone to twin turbo v6.
That's only because the rules of Le Mans state that a production car with forced induction has to be less than 4.0L and an NA engine must be less than 5.5L.

These rumors of Ford dropping the V8 have been around for ages and it just keeps getting recycled every 6 months

Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Ford never dropped the V8 in the Mustang, and they never will, it would be like Porsche dropping the 911, it will never happen. I can't imagine placing the TTV6 in between I4 and V8 for economical reasons. The I4 would not get cheaper, and positioning of a V6 between I4 and V8 would mean a price range between these two also. This would mean that Mustang would start at $25,400 which is the current price of base I4 (around $1,500 increase), and that's if Ford won't increase its prices because of redisgn etc., like all manufacturers do, even if nothing changes (I was genuinely surprised that there were no increases for 2016). This would have been a considerate increase and could turn some people away. Oh, and just because the EB V6 is in the GT, it doesn't mean that they're dropping the V8 either. Porsche has a Hybrid system in their 918, it doesn't mean that they will drop the rest of the engines for it, especially in the 911, there aren't even plans as far as I know for putting a Hybrid in one, and even if, it would be as a standalone option from the legendary flat 6.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Ford won't kill the v8 anytime soon. I just wonder how many people would cry if it were no longer the top engine and fell behind a ttv6 in the line up.

mGT91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Relax. New mustang just released, and you think of 2018 or 19 mustang already? we dont know if they're gonna change the look or making v6 ecoboost, even 350R didnt released yet, there's lot of fake rumor goin on.

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Ford reintroduced the 5.0 for nostalgic reasons. Nobody is going to want a 6 cyl as the top model in the Mustang lineup. Hasn't happened in 50 years as far as I know.

However, perhaps they will design a nice turbo six and a 5.0 and let the consumer decide which one to go for?

The EPA is breathing down everybody's necks to make more fuel efficient cars and gasoline ain't getting any cheaper in the grand scheme of things.

I think more likely some kind of cylinder deactivation technology, more gears for the transmission, etc. to make the V8 more efficient to justify keeping it around.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Yeah I can see how all that works, and its probably happened just like you said. It's just always the fun guessing game of seeing where they go from what were predicting. Of all the opinions and guesses posted on the entire forum, some are going to be right. or at least a little right
It is all speculation and some educated guesses at this point, nothing confirmed. Hell I remember when the DEW98 platform was announced and was supposed to have IRS but Ford did a 180 at the last minute and the S197 came out with the old SRA still in place!

But all the speculation is fun!

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
When do the draconian EPA boost in mpg's come into play? This will really force the automobile industry to squeeze every little bit of efficiency out of their cars and trucks.
Sponsored