Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
I just can't see them doing that especially since they just spent money on improving the engine.
That's honestly irrelevant as it probably did not cost them very much in the grand scheme of things. Ford is way more invested in Ecoboost everything than they are NA engines, the new Ford GT as well as their global push is proof of that.
Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
That's honestly irrelevant as it probably did not cost them very much in the grand scheme of things. Ford is way more invested in Ecoboost everything than they are NA engines, the new Ford GT as well as their global push is proof of that.
It most certainly did cost them. The GT350 is using a new V8. The GT 5.0 was revised I believe. Again it would not make sense to drop an engine that they just spent money on.

Dat37tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 64A
They won't Drop the V8, What they will probably do is drop the V6, making the current Eco the base engine and Slot the V6 Eco in the middle, with some restrictions built in to keep it below the V8.

Both the Current ECO and V8 will gain power to compete against the Camaro6, for MY17 I guarantee it.
This is what I foresee happening. They'll follow the Chevy hierarchy cause it would make little sense for them to kill off the V6 completely when Chevy is still keeping all 3 engine types.
And this part is wishful thinking but by 2018 or so, the V8 would have some more significant HP bumps if they keep doing like they do. I'd guess maybe around 460 or 470 HP? And if a EB V6 came along and they follow what they did with the Taurus SHO engine, the V6 EB would be pushing about 360 HP maybe? And the base EB would probably get base upgrades and put it at 340 to 350 HP.
But! Like I said, all wishful thinking and anything that I said might never happen at some point. But 3 years into the future, who knows

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
It most certainly did cost them. The GT350 is using a new V8. The GT 5.0 was revised I believe. Again it would not make sense to drop an engine that they just spent money on.
I didn't say it was free, but I doubt it was a major portion of their overall R&D funding. Also, it all depends on one thing; return on investment. NA engines are by and large cheaper to engineer. If they recoup the costs and then some within a few years, it was worth it and time to move on to the next risk/reward.

If anything, I could see the V8 being limited to the Shelby/Cobra/3xx, or whatever they call the next street legal race version in the future.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
can you imagine the rage that would happen if they killed off the v8?

yall think rioting over some deaths is bad....

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
This is what I foresee happening. They'll follow the Chevy hierarchy cause it would make little sense for them to kill off the V6 completely when Chevy is still keeping all 3 engine types.
And this part is wishful thinking but by 2018 or so, the V8 would have some more significant HP bumps if they keep doing like they do. I'd guess maybe around 460 or 470 HP? And if a EB V6 came along and they follow what they did with the Taurus SHO engine, the V6 EB would be pushing about 360 HP maybe? And the base EB would probably get base upgrades and put it at 340 to 350 HP.
But! Like I said, all wishful thinking and anything that I said might never happen at some point. But 3 years into the future, who knows
The EB Mustang is basically a PCM flash from 340hp, I think this, and the crap Stock IC were done intentionally to leave more space between it and the V8.

The FoRS is 345 hp, basically the same engine with a revised turbo.

The Coyote can make 500 crank HP with long tubes and a tune so I assume a catted exhaust with a more EPA friendly tune could see 460~480 hp easy. Again I think Ford did this intentionally to keep more space between the GT and the GT350 and allow them to keep leap frogging Chevy with minimal cost.

Basically Ford 'could' have released a 340 HP Ecoboost and 460 HP GT in 2015 but GM would have then Just released a 345 HP V6 and 470 ss in 2016. Both make more money with incremental upgrades

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
MY18 is the official S550 refresh. Don't expect major changes, more so a few styling improvements and probably some parts from the Shelby to be phased down as options on the GT.

Think basically of the 14 Focus ST -> 15 Focus ST. They modified the faschia, gave it some new features like rear camera and fast charge USB, but that's about it.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
can you imagine the rage that would happen if they killed off the v8?

yall think rioting over some deaths is bad....
Let's be honest....If they did retire the V8 in favor of a TT V6, would you really care that much as long as it still preformed the same or better than their competitors V8's?

There was a time when the thought of driving a 4 cylinder anything disgusted me, but I've grown past that and realized it doesn't matter as long as the performance is within what I deem to be acceptable.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Let's be honest....If they did retire the V8 in favor of a TT V6, would you really care that much as long as it still preformed the same or better than their competitors V8's?

There was a time when the thought of driving a 4 cylinder anything disgusted me, but I've grown past that and realized it doesn't matter as long as the performance is within what I deem to be acceptable.
These modern turbo charged engines can and will surprise you. Hence the guy in the Charger I surprised last night LOL. You will ALWAYS have the ones that feel the roaring V8 is the only thing that belongs in a muscle car tough.

Sponsored

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Honestly the 3.0 (the one in the Continental) is a much better engine than the 5.0. I don't think the Mustang would ever get it for cost reasons, but you could do some really cool stuff on the track with its torque curve.

The 3.5 may be a reasonable option just because all the development costs are paid off, but it's more realistic you'd see the 2.7 slot in between the 2.3 and 5.0. It's a monster engine given the weight and power it puts down; it's just expensive compared to the 3.7.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
These modern turbo charged engines can and will surprise you. Hence the guy in the Charger I surprised last night LOL. You will ALWAYS have the ones that feel the roaring V8 is the only thing that belongs in a muscle car tough.
Indeed, anyone who rides in my car that doesn't know much about it gives me the deer in headlights look when I tell them its a 4 banger. I let one of my buddies drive it and he said, 'you're lying bro, there is no way this is a 4 cylinder'.

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I really hope they add a glassroof/sunroof option in the refresh.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
Indeed, anyone who rides in my car that doesn't know much about it gives me the deer in headlights look when I tell them its a 4 banger. I let one of my buddies drive it and he said, 'you're lying bro, there is no way this is a 4 cylinder'.
I love that look. :D

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0