Sponsored

Roof rack for SUP

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I prefer my wife to take her shoes off before getting in the car, I don't like others opening the door with unwashed hands so I am not really comfortable with a paddle or surfboard on the roof
Sponsored

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP - Gone
Yakima is the only roof rack I've seen for the s550. The bars are pretty close together, but I don't know if that matters for a board or not. I was looking into it for bikes and ended up installing a hitch.

A real option if you don't need to lock anything -https://www.seasucker.com/collections/board/products/paddle-board-rack
Apparently they work great. I passed because I didn't want to hoist my bike up and risk a drop and I want to be able to lock my bikes to the rack and the rack to the car. If I was doing short distance, on/off type stuff, I would give these a look.

AZFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 401a GT/PP
Take a look at SeaSucker racks. At first I was turned off by the idea of a suction cup rack but reading up, these have decent reviews. I'm looking to get back into a mustang but had the issue of how to carry my bikes around. After researching and playing around with a bike rack model the other day and it's very easy to use along with telling the status of the suction cup. Definitely a better way to go if you're like me and hate the look of a permanent rack.

https://www.seasucker.com/products/paddle-board-rack

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
As people have already mentioned, you really only have 3 options:

1) Yakima roofrack
2) Seasucker rack
3) Custom made $$$$$$$$$$$

Sponsored

coldkat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kat
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Hey I realize it's been a while since this thread was last active, but did you end up going with any of these systems? I'm trying to take an 8'8" longboard to the beach to surf with & am hoping you might have some insight or recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Putting a hitch and pulling a SUP cart is always the answer :crackup:

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Hey I realize it's been a while since this thread was last active, but did you end up going with any of these systems? I'm trying to take an 8'8" longboard to the beach to surf with & am hoping you might have some insight or recommendations. Thanks in advance!
No problem : remove bottom of rear seat (5 minutes), rear seat backs will fold flat now. Get a blanket, lay down to catch sand board wax etc...
The distance from rear of passenger front seat to trunk latch is 6'6" so about 24" will hang out the rear. Place your towel under and on top of board to protect, then tie your trunk down against board.

By chance you want inside car you can remove passenger front seat (10 minutes) then it will all go in. ....maybe

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
No problem : remove bottom of rear seat (5 minutes), rear seat backs will fold flat now. Get a blanket, lay down to catch sand board wax etc...
The distance from rear of passenger front seat to trunk latch is 6'6" so about 24" will hang out the rear. Place your towel under and on top of board to protect, then tie your trunk down against board.

By chance you want inside car you can remove passenger front seat (10 minutes) then it will all go in. ....maybe

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
People put tow hitches on Mustangs. Get the Yakima one, and install it when you actually need to use it.

Although, with the frameless windows, I wonder if the roof rack interferes with the windows sealing at the top?

SnowTyres

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost PP+
Since you revived this thread and I have been thinking about a new system, myself:

For surfboards, you can always get away with the (rather-noisy-while-driving) padded straps from various surf manufacturers, such as FCS. They work great as a temporary solution for that sport (or similar) only. I had them for a previous car, but wanted to also have a ski/snowboard rack, so I bought a Yakima Q-Tower setup, and have purchased new clips after buying a new vehicle.

Q-Towers are the Yakima roof rack system for cars without built-in channels or latch points, like our Mustangs, or the last three cars I have owned.

First, you should also check these other two threads (though you'll end up with pretty much the same answers):

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/roof-rack-systems.88287/
-- Someone in here said a friend liked their SeaSucker system, which I now interested in hearing more about...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/roof-rackin-it.74590/

Second, as you have read here and have likely suffered scouring the internet for some better answers...
THERE IS NO GREAT SOLUTION FOR HARD ROOF RACKS ON THE MUSTANG - like many/most sports cars.

That being said, here is my opinion about the Yakima kit, which is the only one that ever existed from the two major manufacturers. It has been discontinued, but maybe some people find this helpful. ***There has never been such a kit from Yakima or Thule for 2018+ Mustangs.***

A BRIEF REVIEW of Yakima Q-Towers System with Q78 clips - on a 2015-2017 Mustang

Yakima *made* (past tense) a set of clips for their standard Q-Towers rack system, but you can no longer buy them.

The Yakima clips for Mustang 2015-2017 are Q78 if you can find a NOS set, but they have been discontinued. I think they were discontinued for design issues, although they have not failed me so far, nor do I anticipate that they will.

Yakima's was a poor design, though it was the arguably the best they could do branching from their standard roof rack systems. The Mustang - like my previous cars, has no metal edges on the doorsills, nor any rear doorsills at all by which to clamp the rack, so they use the rubber surrounds.

See attached photos or you can also see in the YouTube video posted in this thread. Some will cringe at the clamping positions, but this is the reality of owning a Mustang as your only car and having big sports gear to lug around.

FRONT CLIPS - Not so bad.
The front clips hook under the edges of the front rubber window trim. This works fine because it has an actual lip that fits handily into the hook side of the clip.
This is common practice for cars without metal windowsills. The tension is only enough to secure the rack and causes only minimal temporary distortion to the rubber sills. They will absolutely go right back to shape if they get slightly squished during use.

REAR - Not great.
My real issue with the Yakima design is the rear clips. The rear clips "hook" (air quotes intended here) onto the underside of the rear porthole window's rubber surround. That rubber surround has a FLAT SURFACE on the underside.
Although you are not likely to hurt the rubber and it will also return to form, you have to squeeze it much harder than the front to pass the standard security check that Yakima recommends when installing their temporary rack systems. That is, to give a strong tug outward from the car to make sure the rack is properly secured and will not shimmy loose while driving.

I have used the Yakima system since buying my 2016 new, and it has worked like a champ - aside from temporarily squishing the trim while on the car. Again, those parts are rubber and they restore back into shape after you remove the rack - which you want to do anyway.

SeaSucker might be a the better solution and they have a locking clip that goes over the windows for when you're not with your car/equipment.

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/board/products/board-rack

Has anyone here PERSONALLY used the SeaSucker system? (Real answers, please. We've had enough commentary from the peanut gallery. Some sporting gear simply will not fit in the car and we don't all have two+ cars.)
Mustang_RoofRack_00_FrontRight-1080.jpg
Mustang_RoofRack_02_FrontLeft-1080.jpg
Mustang_RoofRack_03_FrontLeft_Detail-1080.jpg
Mustang_RoofRack_04_RearLeft-1080.jpg
Mustang_RoofRack_05_RearLeft_Closeup-1080.jpg

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I won't ever need such system (but a hitch instead. Ha ha), but just wanted to comment I was surprised how sturdy the actual roof of the car is. I don't remember owning a car where I didn't accidentally push down on the roof while waxing it (it pops right up, obviously)... until this car. Under heavy pressure, I didn't push down on any area at all. So that means a system with several suction cups throughout the roof could be developed for such things, but if not already done, doubt it'd happen now. But I think it'd work for that purpose easily. How much does such a board weighs? Can't be more than 50 lbs, which would easily be supported by the roof at several places IMO. And maybe secured front to back, rather than side to side. Maybe a Mustang owner could develop one, and make some moolah with it. Ha ha.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
By law, the roof is supposed to support the car in the event of a roll over. It's why A/B/C pillars are thick as hell. Not surprising the roof skin would feel solid compared to cars from the 80s/90s.
Sponsored