Sponsored

Ronin Oil Drain Plug

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
FWIW the Fumoto website says the following for the plastic Ford oil pans:

I'm pretty sure they sold them for a while. They were publicly asking for beta testers a year or more ago and I thought members here had bought them.

There were some members on here testing. One, maybe two. Not a lot. They were never selling them retail that I event found, and I was looking. It never went past testing that I followed.
Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Then virtually zero chance that was a Femco simply because they didn't start selling valves for the plastic Ford pans until almost 2 years ago to the day.

Here's my thread: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/finally-femco-drain-for-2018-up.168667/

It's possible there could be downsides for Femco track usage. Femco's target customer is fleet owners. The signs always pointed to them only begrudgingly marketing to "civilians", at least up 'till recently. They'd rather sell tens or hundreds at a time than singles. But since they literally invented drain valves many decades ago, I doubt they messed up on these.
Pondering a bit about replacing my Ronin plug with the Femco, but now I see there's a review saying the Femco plug ejected too:

"""
Rocketed out of my engine @ wide open throttle. Immediately killed engine when warning popped on dash. Left me stranded on the side of the road. Could have been worse if I didn't see that warning light the moment it popped on the dash. Thankfully I was 8 min from an Autozone and my bro was a phone call away. Don't tell me I installed it wrong because it only basically goes on one way and it had a flush perfect fit just like the product images. I also completed power tour and ran the truck down 2 different drag strips and have put almost 3300 miles on it since I installed it. Overall this was a bad design by Ford and I was almost sure the Femco was the remedy. I don't leave many bad reviews but I've had the truck up in the air on a lift and everything... no way it was on wrong.
"""
From https://www.amazon.com/Femco-Drain-Plug-Raptor-Mustang/dp/B0956ZL55D#customerReviews

Makes it sound more and more like the Ford plug is the only sane option.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've thought about this issue with the aftermarket drains a bit more as this thread has extended in the last couple of weeks.

I have a spare OEM plug on hand so I weighed it. 18 grams or 0.6 ounces. It's almost weightless. Any metal part, regardless of metal type will be heavier. Aluminum will be 2.5 times heavier if the part is identical in all ways to the OEM part. But, if it's got a removable drain fitting, it'll be larger and heavier, and the weight increase will be at the end outside the opening in the oil pan, creating a lever effect.

Now, my thoughts are that if the engine is moving or vibrating or anything, the nearly weightless OEM part just moves with the pan, no stress, no problem. But with a heavier part that's clamped at the pan end and sticking out with extra weight at the other end, every movement of the pan is an invitation to stress and strain on the fitting interface. Looking at the reports of problems, It almost seems that the two parts - the overweight plug and the fat-free pan - have human tendencies. If they don't move easily together, they stop liking each other and naturally, after a bit of time, they separate.

So, that's my theory...

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
This thread and its statements and assumptions by posters is comical.

Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m curious, which parts specifically do you find comical? If youā€™re gonna sling mud, at least sling it in a specific direction.
Sling mud? LOL. All you've posted are
innuendos.
Let's start with data. What data do you have to validate your statements?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Sling mud? LOL. All you've posted are
innuendos.
Let's start with data. What data do you have to validate your statements?
Here, let me provide the definition for you. From the Merriam-Webster dictionary: ā€œSling Mud = to publicly say false or bad things about someone (such as a political opponent) in order to harm that person's reputationā€

Again, youā€™re not being specificā€¦ Which innuendos exactly?

Data:
- Known incidents of aftermarket oil plugs being ejected from an oil pan = 6

- Known incidents of factory oil plugs shooting from an oil pan = 0

- Youā€™re in a GT350 specific forum, discussing a GT350 specific issue with a universally used product, and you (checks notes) donā€™t own a GT350 and donā€™t have anything to contribute.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
Here, let me provide the definition for you. From the Merriam-Webster dictionary: ā€œSling Mud = to publicly say false or bad things about someone (such as a political opponent) in order to harm that person's reputationā€

Data:

- Youā€™re in a GT350 specific forum, discussing a GT350 specific issue with a universally used product, and you (checks notes) donā€™t own a GT350 and donā€™t have anything to contribute.
Don't deflect gore.

Data gore. Data. Where's your data?

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
JUST WHAT is wrong with the OEM plug!!šŸ¤”

I mentioned aftermarket weights as JAJ did but I would also add that at 220*+ oil temps the pan becomes more flexible and would vibrate more with engine harmonics.....not worth the risk to me!!šŸ˜¬

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Data:

Agree with the data. Just what is so unique about the 350 oil pan? That anyone not owning the car. Is unable to understand or even have a clue regarding some stupid drain plugs tendency for a failure.

You're just NOT that special... check your ego.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Agree with the data. Just what is so unique about the 350 oil pan? That anyone not owning the car. Is unable to understand or even have a clue regarding some stupid drain plugs tendency for a failure.

It may not be the pan. At least thatā€™s not the only factor. I believe it also has to do with the harmonics of the flat plane crank Voodoo and the use case (track days). Add it all up and itā€™s not worth the convenience.

Not everyone will be convinced. Those of us who are will stick with the OE plug or, in my case, switch back to it.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

You misunderstand me entirelyā€¦ this isnā€™t an ego thing in the least bit. Iā€™m not shaming someone for not owning a gt350. Hell, I donā€™t even own one anymore. My point is, non-gt350 owners donā€™t have a FPC engine that has documented vibration issues in the higher RPMS.

The oil pan isnā€™t so dissimilar from other models, the resonance frequency at 8250 rpm on a FPC engine is dissimilar from a coyote or EcoBoost engine though. Maybe thatā€™s why you donā€™t hear about this specific issue on the coyote side of the forum, but you do here in the gt350 side.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
Stated already at the bottom of my last post.

To quote Mark Twain: ā€œNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experienceā€
So now you resort to name calling. Proves my point that your innuendos are meaningless without data.

Data gore. Data. Where's your data?

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
It's pretty clear to me that several things may contribute to after market oil drain plug ejection, including:
1. Vibration
2. Heavier part
3. Inadequate locking mechanism
4. Differential expansion/ contraction of dissimilar materials.

For the small cost of using OEM replacements every 2 or 3 oil changes and the fact that you can't see the plug unless you're under the car, the risk isn't worth it.

With all of the incredibly smart folks on here, I'll bet that most can figure out how to change the oil without making a mess using an OEM plug. Even me, as crazy as I may be, can lift the car, put a bucket under there and pull the plug without spilling a drop of oil (admittedly the oil filter is a different beast). My Mustang is actually one of the easier cars I've owned to change oil.

Interesting thread, though, for sure!
Sponsored