Sponsored

Rodent wiring damage.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT, 2003 Excursion, 1999Tacoma, 2009 Corolla, 2007 GSXR750, 2008 DRZ400SM, 2014 TYREX,2003 KX250
Car died, found wiring damage in engine bay. Towed to my Ford dealership and opened an insurance claim. Waiting on an update. I believe the wiring damage took out the electronics, the tech was troubleshooting the ignition due to no spark signals getting to the coil packs. Waiting for more info...
Sponsored

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
Happened to me 5 years ago, on both cars in the garage. Again and again, from mid-Feb to end of March.

After the 2nd time towed to the dealership, I went ballistic and bought every possible anti-rat products I could find at home depot. The garage and the attic above were a war zone. The outside perimeter was a minefield.

My favourite: glue mats. Also buy a webcam or sprinkle flour to see where those invaders come from and go to.

bobdes368

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium
I hear the reason for rodents being drawn to the wiring, is that the wire coating contains SOY BASED material.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Honda had a problem with that years ago, and even issued a TSB about it.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I bought a couple electronic mouse repellers off Amazon and have them in the garage. They seem to work and they weren't very expensive. There is a bunch of types available.

Mouse.jpg

Sponsored

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
I diluted some peppermint oil in water and spray the engine bays on my vehicles twice per year. I pay particular attention to the wiring looms on the fire wall also. No problems

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Bounce dryer sheets (I also put moth balls down but those alone did not work last year) seemed to have worked for me this year, first year trying them after using just moth balls last year and finding turds on my engine cover and corn from my "cornhole" bags under my rear seat. I put the sheets all around the car, inside the car and under the hood.

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
Sorry to here that. I hate those wire chewing little bastards. They piss and shit inside panels and cause rust too. My garage looks like a mine field of snap traps , bait stations and bucket traps. My engine bay right now has 100+ bounce sheets. So far the perimeter traps have got a few. Good luck

Mels21GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
This happened to my 2018 EB last year. Rats chewed through a battery wire and was NOT covered under warranty and had to pay out of pocket. Hopefully you can get it covered

2020Tang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang ecoboost
Dealing with this right now. The last couple of weeks I have been blowing out acorns from off the top of the engine and out the belly pan. Tried Irish spring soap shavings but that didn’t help. Bought a couple of battery powered ultrasonic sound emitters and mounted one under the hood on the strut tower brace and place the other under the car at night. Seems to be working, haven’t seen any acorns.
Sponsored