Sponsored

RLCA Help: Spherical Bearing vs. Poly Bushing

RLCA: Poly Bushing or Spherical Bearing?

• Total voters

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Step 1: Write in complete sentences and coherent thoughts
Step 2: see Step 1
Spell check wouldn't hurt, either. There may be some valid information in there somewhere, but finding it isn't easy.
Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
im keeping it simple since nobody can follow an explanation linger tgan 2 sentences..
BY YOUR IWN ADMISSIONS.
Simple for you too since you got tens of thousands of hours experience.

I'll repost...."Post up what your design would be for the RLCA for those bushings in delrin. I really need a class legal solution."

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
For the record, has anyone ever used a suspension bushing, regardless of material, with the bush riding directly on the bolt? If so, that's wrong, it should have a crush sleeve to pivot on & take the clamping load of the mount.

No commercial products operate without a crush sleeve, so all you people out there casting your own bushings need to take note & start using them.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
For the record, has anyone ever used a suspension bushing, regardless of material, with the bush riding directly on the bolt? If so, that's wrong, it should have a crush sleeve to pivot on & take the clamping load of the mount.

No commercial products operate without a crush sleeve, so all you people out there casting your own bushings need to take note & start using them.
Taking the clamp load and shear/twist loads simultaneously wouldn't be good on the bushing material. With the greased slip fit (like the Superpro design), the crush tube can remain stationary and the bushing be able to rotate around it.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Simple for you too since you got tens of thousands of hours experience.

I'll repost...."Post up what your design would be for the RLCA for those bushings in delrin. I really need a class legal solution."
I'm putting the SuperPro bushing in short term & waiting for the other manufactured solution for the long term answer. That looks like it will happen, but it will take a while before we see it. The SuperPro bushings are $112. Even if only 50-75% as effective as a spherical, it's still a lot better than stock & the cost isn't absurd. I understand you don't like poly bushings in a philosophical sense, but sometimes you just have to piss with the dick you've got. They're going to run the race, regardless.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Taking the clamp load and shear/twist loads simultaneously wouldn't be good on the bushing material. With the greased slip fit (like the Superpro design), the crush tube can remain stationary and the bushing be able to rotate around it.
Ya, exactly. I don't know of any aftermarket bushings which operate differently. I think this was one of the things 308 was rattling on about, so I was trying translate his (admittedly correct) PSA into English.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I'm putting the SuperPro bushing in short term & waiting for the other manufactured solution for the long term answer. That looks like it will happen, but it will take a while before we see it. The SuperPro bushings are $112. Even if only 50-75% as effective as a spherical, it's still a lot better than stock & the cost isn't absurd. I understand you don't like poly bushings in a philosophical sense, but sometimes you just have to piss with the dick you've got. They're going to run the race, regardless.
Agreed...but even working on a lift I'm too lazy to do the job twice. I'd really like the other solution we talked about. I hope it pans out...soon!

My post is really a challenge to the big swinging dack to put his money where his mouth is. I'm sure it will be crickets. This sight has a thread ignore feature but no forum member ignore feature LOL! Moderators need to add that feature unless I missed it.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Yes and the primary reason I don't like the poly. Delrin is high durometer and sort of self lubricating yet surprisingly long life. There is less stichon if a delrin tube is rotating around the crush tube than poly. An off-axis bind just puts in more stichon. Delrin won't yield like poly for the off-axis so a compromise...

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Agreed...but even working on a lift I'm too lazy to do the job twice. I'd really like the other solution we talked about. I hope it pans out...soon!
Sometimes I have an overactive sense of competition, and I kind of want to feel the differences between A, B & C.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Could be, if they actually look more like this. Seems it's the Aussie companies that pay enough attention to what's really going on in a compliant bushing to sneak in some compliance.

SuperPro bushing.jpg

Norm
For whatever reason, the SuperPro RLCA bushings I received do not have this undercut. They have a longer taper on each side, but it's not as complex of a shape as this. I was a little surprised when I pulled it out of the packet.

At this point, it is what it is & this is not the final answer. I'll end up with a couple data points to figure out what works the best.

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I have a 10 ton press an hour from you. Arms are al iirc so at 500f loose strength so must be careful witj heat. . Maybe be cut them hack saw then dremel when close.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
For whatever reason, the SuperPro RLCA bushings I received do not have this undercut. They have a longer taper on each side, but it's not as complex of a shape as this. I was a little surprised when I pulled it out of the packet.

At this point, it is what it is & this is not the final answer. I'll end up with a couple data points to figure out what works the best.
My set also did not have that cut, if you look at the pictures I posted on the 1st page. I think its just the way the picture was taken that gives you illusion there is a cut.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
without the cut is probably stiffer. TEE put the control arm through the +/-2" shock travel and let us know how much off axis bind there really is over that approximate 15 degree rotation.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
without the cut is probably stiffer. TEE put the control arm through the +/-2" shock travel and let us know how much off axis bind there really is over that approximate 15 degree rotation.
Great idea. I'll absolutely do that.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
OK, so I've got all the corners back on my car with the polyurethane bushings. I haven't gotten it on the ground, yet, so no driving. While I was putting it back together, I made a video about the how the suspension moves with the bushings in. It's pretty smooth. You can feel the drag of the bushing grease, but their isn't any outrageous bind or stiction. It's just feels like you're moving it through syrup.

Anyway, here's the vid.
Sponsored