Sponsored

Reving to high RPM bad for the engine?

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 *Velocity Blue* (The fastest color)
Formula one engines and Nascar engines rev high and the drivers rev them like crazy therefore they need to be rebuilt after each race. Eventually if we keep reving out our coyote it will cause more heat and premature piston wear. Also you can wear out internal parts like timing chains and also engine accessories like waterpumps.
NASCAR engines actually run fine after each race. Many are handed down / sold to smaller race teams and run without rebuild. That being said, NASCAR engines are putting out over 750 HP with roughly 350 cubic inches (naturally aspirated) so they are built for about 1,000 miles of extreme constant redline usage before needing rebuilding. Ford warranties the Coyote for 60,000 miles with a 7,500 RPM redline and roughly 450 HP (depending on generation). You are wise to not be bouncing off the limiter in every gear all the time, I agree. But shifting at 3,000 rpm isn't doing you any good either. Enjoy the sweet spot between 4,500 and 7,000 rpm frequently, keep up on your maintenance, and you won't have any issues.
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Nascar mandates that engines have to do more than one race. When Harvick won a couple weeks ago he said he wasn't going to do a burnout because they had to run that engine again next week. So the fans went all boo-hoo so he did the burnout anyway to keep them happy. Happy. Get it? Oh, never mind.

I can assure you the guys who pay the bills would prefer those tire shredding burnouts go away, they definitely are hard on motors.

Turning high revs is going to wear the motor out earlier simply because there's only so many cycles in any rotating part, and the more rotations you turn the sooner it's going to die. But OP is not doing it any good driving it around under 3K either. There's a happy medium there, somewhere.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
NASCAR engines actually run fine after each race. Many are handed down / sold to smaller race teams and run without rebuild. That being said, NASCAR engines are putting out over 750 HP with roughly 350 cubic inches (naturally aspirated) so they are built for about 1,000 miles of extreme constant redline usage before needing rebuilding. Ford warranties the Coyote for 60,000 miles with a 7,500 RPM redline and roughly 450 HP (depending on generation). You are wise to not be bouncing off the limiter in every gear all the time, I agree. But shifting at 3,000 rpm isn't doing you any good either. Enjoy the sweet spot between 4,500 and 7,000 rpm frequently, keep up on your maintenance, and you won't have any issues.
You make a good point bud

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
I paid for a warranty so I am going to make sure the car either needs it or doesn't. She gets a good beating at least twice a week.
How long to you keep high rpms for during regular driving? I mean do u go up on rpms and shift right away or tend to hold a gear for certain rpm longer.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Not running a V8 powered S550 hard, and often, is like not wanting to fuck your wife too hard or too often because you want her pussy to be nice and tight for the next guy?

WEAR THAT SHIT OUT...!!

Or someone else will.

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
How long to you keep high rpms for during regular driving? I mean do u go up on rpms and shift right away or tend to hold a gear for certain rpm longer.
Can you please explain your question a little better.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
What's your idea of "high RPM's"?
I tend to drive mine at 3000-3500 RPM a lot because I'm in the sweet spot for great acceleration for coming out of turns, passing, etc. Plus the engine sounds alive there. Fun to shift between 7000-7300. The thing pulls like a freight train clear to redline.
On long, straight stretches of road just driving along like on a road trip, I'll be in 4th or 5th at around 2000 RPM just cruising along. Typical shifts between 4-5000 RPM.
I have rarely used 6th gear in mine.
Don't know if this answers anything for you....

Last edited:

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
My two cents. Running hard and pushing the RPM limit risks failure and wearing out at lower miles. While its designed to rev high and within designed specs, it will wear out faster.

Other line of work, barrel and caliber within design limits, Load at top of limits and barrel wears out faster due to heat from powder and stress on lands from bullet passing over them. Lower the charge and barrel lasts longer. Correlation, high RPM greater heat and stress. Lower RPM less heat and less stress.

Just my two cents of course

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
My two cents. Running hard and pushing the RPM limit risks failure and wearing out at lower miles. While its designed to rev high and within designed specs, it will wear out faster.

Other line of work, barrel and caliber within design limits, Load at top of limits and barrel wears out faster due to heat from powder and stress on lands from bullet passing over them. Lower the charge and barrel lasts longer. Correlation, high RPM greater heat and stress. Lower RPM less heat and less stress.

Just my two cents of course
For sure... the tach and temp gauges show exactly what you just mentioned in your last two sentences. Good comparison...

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I liked those YouTube videos from 2010-ish showing the Gen 1 Coyote on a dyno turning 7000+ for long periods of time, headers glowing red, screaming like crazy.
Haven't tried that (and probably won't) with my Gen 3...just short, quick bursts...
Sponsored