Reving to high RPM bad for the engine?

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
-As stated in many forums the 5.0 engine doesnt feel quick in low rpm range but really accelerates rapidly after 3500 rpm.
-Just to achieve fast acceleration is it bad for the engine to shift at high rpms.
-I have been shifting gears below 3k rpms but acceleration doesn't feel as quick but I don't want to stress and wear my engine parts early by rapid acceleration.
-What is a happy medium and at what rpms you all change gears usually?
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
run that shit up to redline then shift down to about 4000-4500rpm. keep her high, keep her screaming.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
Running at high RPMs is bad for the engine. So is running at low RPMs. So is turning the engine on, or not turning it on often enough.
This engine is made to be abused, if the ECU lets you do it the engine can take it.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
-As stated in many forums the 5.0 engine doesnt feel quick in low rpm range but really accelerates rapidly after 3500 rpm.
-Just to achieve fast acceleration is it bad for the engine to shift at high rpms.
-I have been shifting gears below 3k rpms but acceleration doesn't feel as quick but I don't want to stress and wear my engine parts early by rapid acceleration.
If you don’t like to rev, should have gotten a Camaro.

laregood24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Like any mechanical part, it will wear out with use. Revving higher makes the internals move more, therefore wearing out quicker. I wouldnt say revving to 5k at a light throttle is the same as wot to 5k to shift though.

Putting a high load on the engine at high speeds is probably the fasest way to wear it out (think pulling to 150+).

But what are you gonna do? Not drive your car cause you dont want to wear it out?

Sponsored

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Yikes. I've always been a fan of the carbon Cleaning method. It states the engine runs better if you drive it hard because the extra movement gets the built up carbon out of the engine.

It also puts a massive smile on my face so it's a win win.

Disclaimer: the information in this post is not factual and should not be treated as such by others. If you beging to experience sadness or loss of interest you should drive extremely fast to your doctor's office immediately. The carbon Cleaning method does not replace the need for real mechanics and healthy care practices and maintenance.

If you think you're ready for the fast lane ask your mechanic about carbon Cleaning. It's the difference between having the time of your life and worrying way too much.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes, high RPMs are bad for the engine. But once the engine is warmed up, it's not that bad for it. Use the engine in its main power band when you are accelerating hard. That's where the engine was designed to be used.

IMO what's really bad is wide open throttle at very low RPMs (lugging the engine). Don't ever do that, especially in higher gears. To me that means under 2,500-3,000 RPMs you should go easy on the throttle.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
run that shit up to redline then shift down to about 4000-4500rpm. keep her high, keep her screaming.
I agree with what the guy that makes sausages says :giggle:

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It is harder on a 12:1 engine to be in a high load low Rpm situation then high Rpm low load.

High Rpm does wear a motor fast then low Rpm but bogging it at 2k is much worse than reving it to 7k.

I personally think this motor has more problems with being driving softly then beat on.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Ford designed it with a 7500 redline for a reason. I try not to bounce the rev limiter, which for me is 7850rpm but I take it up past 7k multiple times a day. These engines are made to rev so if you want more power wrap it out thru the gears. 16k miles and running strong.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
If you're looking for a car to be long lasting and have 350,000+ on it go buy a Duromax. Otherwise drive the heck out of it, enjoy it.

What hurts the Coyote most is consistent banging off the rev limiter. The OPG does not like that. Blipping the rev limiter isn't the same thing. I am talking about flat footing the gas pedal and missing a shift while trying speed shift like a pro or sitting on the starting line (or a stop light for some) with the pedal flat footed banging the rev limiter like some ass-jack (that's a technical term for the PC sensitive crowd - sarcasm) in a ricer Honda.

The guy that bought my 2005 years ago beat the piss out of it. IT was putting down 507 at the rear wheel on stock internals. When I owned it I beat it for 40K. By definition of "beating" I mean running it up to 6300 (red line on a 3V) and quick shifting on entrance ramps and open roads with no traffic...or at the track. Again I am not talking about banging off the rev limiter or beating against a two step, but just having some all out push back in the seat fun with the car. Roush owners drive them like they are some kind of rare investment (more sarcasm). Don't be that guy.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
The tick seems to go away above 3k RPM's, just sayin. :D

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Hammer it and enjoy it.

I took it easy on mine, for the most part, for the first 500 miles. And I just mean that I didn't hit the limiter or really go above 7k. After that it was game on.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Consider if you want to own a car you don't feel like using the way it was designed to be used.
Sponsored