return-less fuel systems thoughts and ideas

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Yes and a microglass filter is recommended.
And what size boost reference line did you use and where did you connect it to?. I guess I could tap into one of my whipple boost ports?
Thanks
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
In any case, the tune accounts for any discrepancies between pressure delta at the point of injection...
Injector dynamics sets everyone up for failure by offering two sets of injector data; one of which is supposedly for constant pressure return style systems and one for variable pressure. If the tuners are plugging in the return-style data per IDā€™s instructions then they inadvertently took away the pcms ability to a change pulsewidth as a function of measured fuel pressure. There is no disadvantage to using the variable pressure data and it gains you a layer of protection.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
The fuel drain tune runs the pumps full time with the key on, engine not running. Normally the pumps would just prime and then shutoff. This keeps them running full time.

I purchased my entire Arcane fuel system from Juggernaut performance. They are the ones that assembled and wired my pumps to the hat. They charge extra to do that. As I mentioned earlier, the wiring harness that comes with the kit is outstanding. I had no issues with the PTFE hose and fittings provided with the kit either.

Read up on those kits here: https://arcanep2.com/fuel-systems
[/QUOTE

Thank you.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
And what size boost reference line did you use and where did you connect it to?. I guess I could tap into one of my whipple boost ports?
Thanks
There is a 1/8ā€ npt plug on the front passenger side of the gen5 Whipple. Pretty easy to access. I suggest using a push to connect style fitting. I changed the boost reference fitting on the regulator to a push to connect style fitting as well. Ordered those fittings and plastic tubing from Motion Raceworks:
https://motionraceworks.com/products/10-ft-black-1-4-push-to-connect-plastic-tubing

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
There is a 1/8ā€ npt plug on the front passenger side of the gen5 Whipple. Pretty easy to access. I suggest using a push to connect style fitting. I changed the boost reference fitting on the regulator to a push to connect style fitting as well. Ordered those fittings and plastic tubing from Motion Raceworks:
https://motionraceworks.com/products/10-ft-black-1-4-push-to-connect-plastic-tubing
Great. That would be a nice connection for the hose. I guess I will order everything tomorrow. My blower pulley should be in later this week. Thanks

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Great. That would be a nice connection for the hose. I guess I will order everything tomorrow. My blower pulley should be in later this week. Thanks
Confirm the size of the boost reference port on the regulator youā€™re going to use. Mine was 1/16 npt on the DW regulator I have others are 1/8 npt.

What fuel system are you going to order? I know youā€™ve been exploring all options.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That looks like the steel bucket they always used.

Plastic that thin would crack very easily with those screws.
You are right. Now that I think about it, it was hard as shit to flex it to get the holes to line up properly. I need 3 hands.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Injector dynamics sets everyone up for failure by offering two sets of injector data; one of which is supposedly for constant pressure return style systems and one for variable pressure. If the tuners are plugging in the return-style data per IDā€™s instructions then they inadvertently took away the pcms ability to a change pulsewidth as a function of measured fuel pressure. There is no disadvantage to using the variable pressure data and it gains you a layer of protection.
I agree, it's just more for the tuner to contend with, which is probably why most of them push a return style setup, just makes their life simpler.

I've said before, my setup before the MOTEC was the best setup you can run. A low-flow return style setup, true variable where the regulator (next to the rails) determines pump output based upon whether the return flow has increased or decreased. It modulated pump flow based DIRECTLY off what you want, rail consumption. The result was a system when indexed for boost that the tuner need not control or calibrate anything from the pumps. You simply mechanically set the base pressure and voila, from that point on, the system provides (independent of the PCM) the required fuel to keep the rails always fed at the proper desired pressure. Elegant. Efficient. Effective. Simple.

Even MOTEC balked and went back to a PCM controlled pump output (even though I told them it was tested to 1100 rwhp). So my fancy electronic regulator is now just a regular regulator. Old habits and familiarity are tough to overcome sometimes.

Just about anything can be tuned into the fuel delivery setup. But there's benefits to simplifying and reducing things.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Confirm the size of the boost reference port on the regulator youā€™re going to use. Mine was 1/16 npt on the DW regulator I have others are 1/8 npt.

What fuel system are you going to order? I know youā€™ve been exploring all options.
Honestly, I will make that decision tomorrow, I just have a couple of questions before deciding. Regardless, I want a Fuel hat/bucket assembly, so either VMP Plug and Play return style fuel system or Juggernaut Stage 2 TI274 pumps, Check valve and PTFE Lines. I kinda Like the Radium assembled from Juggernaut.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)

I was thinking if I went with the Radium hat assembly, I would use the regulator on the hat and not a separate regulator to put by fuel rails. From what I have read (correct me if Im wrong) but my 19 with DI wont have issues with the regulator being on the hat assembly versus close to fuel rails?

OP
OP
Midwestracer

Midwestracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This might hold the record for longest thread with consistently good information and guidance without fighting.

Carry on šŸ˜.
Yes it really has become a great one I have learned a lot and feel like this has become a wealth of knowledge from great members

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I was thinking if I went with the Radium hat assembly, I would use the regulator on the hat and not a separate regulator to put by fuel rails. From what I have read (correct me if Im wrong) but my 19 with DI wont have issues with the regulator being on the hat assembly versus close to fuel rails?
I think @Angrey covered that pretty well a few posts ago. Seems to be some pros and cons to that. I do know plenty of guys make good power with that setup though.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That is what
I am running currently on my '18.

cbrtrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Honestly, I will make that decision tomorrow, I just have a couple of questions before deciding. Regardless, I want a Fuel hat/bucket assembly, so either VMP Plug and Play return style fuel system or Juggernaut Stage 2 TI274 pumps, Check valve and PTFE Lines. I kinda Like the Radium assembled from Juggernaut.
Without going into detail I personally would go radium before the vmp setup.
Sponsored