Sponsored

Replacing D3S for D8S, different sockets?

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
For legal reasons my car can't have D3S light bulbs (d3s requires washers and levelers, d8s don't), so I need to replace them with D8S light bulbs. I know there is topic about D8S to D3S. What is unclear is the cables. Don't D3S and D8S have different sockets?

D8S
s-l1600.jpg

D3S
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Or there are also EU and US variants? Or ballast usually come with new cables?
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I've done this and I can tell you now its the best mod you will ever do. What you need is a pair of ballasts and cables from a jag xf or similar that uses d3s and then undo the little screws and swap the ballast internals into your d8s cases. You need a set of really good d3s bulbs I went with the night braker ones. You have to cut/dremel a little slot in the plastic case on the bulb so thst they fit that's all. It's dead easy using the original bulb as a template. I may have put photos up on here showing the difference.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Oh I bought a few ballasts till I got this right. I have the part number you need to look for, I'll see if I can dig it out. If you are going down this route let me know and I will get it.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
There you go top was obviously before. The light is brighter and goes much further up the road now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
I am actually doing reverse. I already have d3s and I am downgrading them to d8s. Can't have 2000lm+ lights without washers and levelers. So I need to downgrade them to d8s, that is 2000lm and allowed to have without washers and levelers.

And I figured out that if I am going to use d8s, I am going to need new cables.

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
I am actually doing reverse. I already have d3s and I am downgrading them to d8s. Can't have 2000lm+ lights without washers and levelers. So I need to downgrade them to d8s, that is 2000lm and allowed to have without washers and levelers.

It might be easiest to head over to the UK section of the forum and offer a swap as I'm sure loads of people would pay shipping to swap with you!

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)

Oh wow really? Did you buy the car like this? I don't belive they check the light brightness on the MOT and I know a few of the members on here are running d3s and have been for a good while. The d8s bulbs are shocking, just so you're aware!

OP
OP

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
Oh wow really? Did you buy the car like this? I don't belive they check the light brightness on the MOT and I know a few of the members on here are running d3s and have been for a good while. The d8s bulbs are shocking, just so you're aware!
I bought the car from Poland, but the car is US version. In Poland the rules aren't as strict as they are here, so d3s lights there was fine. Yes MOT guy prolly wont check, but to get the car on my name I need to register the car in DMV and those guys are strict as hell. I had red reflectors on back sides, had to swap those out with ambers. They search all the E sign from the lights. If no E signs then light not legal. Back fog light had F sign on white part and not on red and they already wanted to complain how the light is not legal, but luckily they came to senses. After I get the car on my name I probably just switch d3s lights back and start going to some old MOT guy who doesn't know and neither doesn't care. Or just bribe the guys.

OP
OP

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
It might be easiest to head over to the UK section of the forum and offer a swap as I'm sure loads of people would pay shipping to swap with you!
I initially thought about it, but because UK is no longer part of EU it is easier for me just buy missing parts than start dealing with border duties and taxes. These days even if you send the items as gift, you still need fill in papers and pay some small fine. At least on this side. Also I figured the d8s could be just temporary thing and later just swap d3s back.

Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I bought the car from Poland, but the car is US version. In Poland the rules aren't as strict as they are here, so d3s lights there was fine. Yes MOT guy prolly wont check, but to get the car on my name I need to register the car in DMV and those guys are strict as hell. I had red reflectors on back sides, had to swap those out with ambers. They search all the E sign from the lights. If no E signs then light not legal. Back fog light had F sign on white part and not on red and they already wanted to complain how the light is not legal, but luckily they came to senses. After I get the car on my name I probably just switch d3s lights back and start going to some old MOT guy who doesn't know and neither doesn't care. Or just bribe the guys.
Ah ok, that makes total sense. Ive heard those guys can be strict. I might be wrong here but I'm pretty sure the headlights are different from the US version too. They are a more clear lense and also the fitment will be different for the bulbs, thats why I had to cut a notch into them to make the d3s fit into the d8s headlights.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting thread with some good illumination tech for the overseas S550 owners.

I was unaware that you folks overseas have to deal with the “Illumination Police”….

Over here stateside, it’s the Wild West when it comes to automotive headlight illumination, there aren't any policies or laws in place regarding headlight brightness. Some freaking oncoming headlights will seer the eyeballs right out of your skull and you’re lucky enough to be able to see anything afterwards….

OP
OP

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
I bought ballasts, bulbs, wires, but never got lights correctly working. Car electrician told me that car needs reprogramming so that it understands that it has now weaker lights and that is something that can't be done with 50$ OBD cable. Needs dealer level cable and software.

So we swapped labels on bulbs on ballast and took car to DMV....but didn't pass, because reflectors have wrong marking now. Reflector has something like "DoT SAE D3S" and as I have now D8S inside, reflector and system doesn't match.

Now the plan is to swap glass/lens. Problem is that all replacement lens come without marking, so I prolly need to buy whole EU lights set and just remove lens from them. Even then, finding a correct set of headlights is pain in arse.
Sponsored