Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This is a bit odd to be honest.

There were tune-related issues on the launch of the 5.0L in cylinder 8 in 2011 but apart from that, it was fine.

The Roadrunner was a very stout engine in the 2012-2013 Boss 302.

The Gen 2 Coyote is a very stout engine as well in the 15-17 GT, just a little neutered stock for some reason.

All have had what's referred to as the BBQ tick, not an engine failure mode but annoying. OPG can let go once boost is added in.

However lately Ford has had it rough; he Focus RS was a disaster of a launch, the GT350 is questionable for sure (but I don't think it's as bad as the RS was), and this new 5.0L has me questioning it. I think the new 5.0L will become great, but right now it is not and I wouldn't buy one.
Just my irrelevant opinion, but maybe Ford has pushed the envelope with power for the 5.0. Unless you start using some exotic materials and engineering, pushing a relatively small displacement engine into 450+ HP can result in unreliability. It seems they are cost cutting in areas (OPG, small but significant apparently) while simultaneously pushing for more power. All the other American car makers are making their power with larger displacement (6.2 GM, 6.4 Dodge) and or adding boost. Ford is not Ferrari and even went cheap with flat plane crank in our 350s by not using a lightweight crank, thus all the vibration and slow revving (for a flat plain crank) motor. Pushing 460hp, 475 in the Bullitt out of the 5.0 and 526 out of a 5.2 may be the breaking point without significant material and engineering upgrades. Who knows. I know European car makers can get high HP numbers from very small displacement NA engines, but there is a reason they cost twice as much and they even still have reliability issues.

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
Just my irrelevant opinion, but maybe Ford has pushed the envelope with power for the 5.0. Unless you start using some exotic materials and engineering.
Uhm, no. If a car maker can't make a 100hp per liter aspirated engine in 2018, they should shut down operations. BMW was doing 90+ inline sixes 25 years ago. Honda made a 2 liter four with 240hp almost 20 years ago. Porsche had a 90hp per liter 2.7 flat 6 forty-five years ago. I haven't even mentioned Ferrari or Lambo or crazy exotics.

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Uhm, no. If a car maker can't make a 100hp per liter aspirated engine in 2018, they should shut down operations. BMW was doing 90+ inline sixes 25 years ago. Honda made a 2 liter four with 240hp almost 20 years ago. Porsche had a 90hp per liter 2.7 flat 6 forty-five years ago. I haven't even mentioned Ferrari or Lambo or crazy exotics.
All those you listed are exotics (Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo) or are good at that particular game (BMW/Honda). they know HOW to push the HP per liter game. Ford doesn't, which is becoming apparent by these recent issues. Or they are simply not paying attention to quality control. Either way, it seems the 5.0, and 5.2 are pushing the reliability envelope for Ford. its easy to do with FI (ecoboost) but they just now pushed the 100 per ltr with the 5.2. Hard to say at this moment but the reliability isn't looking strong right now.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
???

Just curious about opinions from those with manufacturing knowledge on when Ford would start to worry enough to let us know what the reason for failures have been. If around 100 engines have had to be replaced so far (as a guess-timate of a total based on the number in this selective population at M6G so don't hold me to it) out of 20,000 produced that's one in 200. At 1 in 100, 1 in 50? Even though they are apparently doing a good job of replacement as necessary, at some point and I think that even at one in 200 it's time to be a little more open. I know that I would be changing something in my profession if I had a very bad outcome at that rate.
The ONLY data related to engine failures comes from my earlier short frequency count based on 6G Shelby owners only, and then the current spreadsheet count of about 45 engine failures from combined count of this forum plus a few others. I doubt the total number of different Shelby owners from all those counted forums exceeds 600 to 700 different owners.

And from this start, you are “guessing” that for the remaining 19,300 owners there may only an additional 55 engine failures? Sorry, but this is a pretty ridiculous guess with a mathematical and statistical value of ZERO.

The older I get, it seems the smarter my Dad gets. He always told us: “Boys, the least common element in the universe is common sense.”

Unless forced to by the Government for reasons pertaining to a safety recall, Ford will NEVER willingly divulge the true number of failures. No other car manufacturer will either.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The ONLY data related to engine failures comes from my earlier short frequency count based on 6G Shelby owners only, and then the current spreadsheet count of about 45 engine failures from combined count of this forum plus a few others. I doubt the total number of different Shelby owners from all those counted forums exceeds 600 to 700 different owners.

And from this start, you are “guessing” that for the remaining 19,300 owners there may only an additional 55 engine failures? Sorry, but this is a pretty ridiculous guess with a mathematical and statistical value of ZERO.

The older I get, it seems the smarter my Dad gets. He always told us: “Boys, the least common element in the universe is common sense.”

Unless forced to by the Government for reasons pertaining to a safety recall, Ford will NEVER willingly divulge the true number of failures. No other car manufacturer will either.
Lord you are one testy son of a gun. Goes along with being a statistics nerd I guess. It doesn't matter what the mathematical or statistical value of my guesstimate which I purposefully low-balled is nor was I asking Ford to divulge the true number of failures. I was only asking at what point did people with some knowledge of recall/manufacturing defects/etc think we might get more info from Ford. Put some ice in that kiddie pool in the back yard, hop in, and chill out a little.:doh:

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lord you are one testy son of a gun. Goes along with being a statistics nerd I guess. It doesn't matter what the mathematical or statistical value of my guesstimate which I purposefully low-balled is nor was I asking Ford to divulge the true number of failures. I was only asking at what point did people with some knowledge of recall/manufacturing defects/etc think we might get more info from Ford. Put some ice in that kiddie pool in the back yard, hop in, and chill out a little.:doh:
Nope, not testy at all and not a nerd. Just someone pointing out some common sense items when I see such foolishness.

And as I said earlier, you will never get any info from Ford unless the government compels them to provide it.

Fortunately, you are not charging extra for your unnecessary sarcasm today..
No kiddie pool here, partner, but we like our big covered porches and pools here in Florida. Some responsible members here have worked diligently to collect information and its kind nod a shame to see those efforts so carelessly tosses around.

Have a nice day... :cheers:

windnsea00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Your dealer did a good job. I am at day #66 and I haven’t gotten the car back.
Seriously, jealous of that turn around. My dealer took 3 weeks to even getting around to inspecting the car and giving Ford a prognosis. Waiting on engine now which was 2 weeks for shipping. 36 days in, hopefully wrapped up in the next week.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Nope, not testy at all and not a nerd. Just someone pointing out some common sense items when I see such foolishness.

And as I said earlier, you will never get any info from Ford unless the government compels them to provide it.

Fortunately, you are not charging extra for your unnecessary sarcasm today..
No kiddie pool here, partner, but we like our big covered porches and pools here in Florida. Some responsible members here have worked diligently to collect information and its kind nod a shame to see those efforts so carelessly tosses around.

Have a nice day... :cheers:
Not only testy but can't recognize a little humor either. Suggest you and Tomster carefully read the words I wrote and your response if indeed you wonder who insulted whom and for no purpose. And it has nothing to do with common sense so don't misapply your father's advice. Don't know what your axe to grind is but you seem by many angry posts including responses to others to have one. Before you get too high and mighty also suggest you check out post #61 as others have perused all threads and other forums before you did to get a handle on the numbers. Now, if and only if you really want to, because I don't want you to be offended by my suggestion, grab a beverage and hit your real pool. Nothing more to be said on my part.

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not only testy but can't recognize a little humor either. Suggest you and Tomster carefully read the words I wrote and your response if indeed you wonder who insulted whom and for no purpose. And it has nothing to do with common sense so don't misapply your father's advice. Don't know what your axe to grind is but you seem by many angry posts including responses to others to have one. Before you get too high and mighty also suggest you check out post #61 as others have perused all threads and other forums before you did to get a handle on the numbers. Now, if and only if you really want to, because I don't want you to be offended by my suggestion, grab a beverage and hit your real pool. Nothing more to be said on my part.
Nope, not testy or bothered in the least by people I don’t know and or don’t care about. Amused is more appropriate. Have a nice day!!

JustNoize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SHELBY GT350 Grabber BLue white Stripes
Seriously, jealous of that turn around. My dealer took 3 weeks to even getting around to inspecting the car and giving Ford a prognosis. Waiting on engine now which was 2 weeks for shipping. 36 days in, hopefully wrapped up in the next week.
I would contact legal counsel that specializes in lemon law. :gossip:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

" The vehicle has been out of service for more than 30
days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being
repaired for any number of warranty problems "

In an effort to Recoup some payments while your car is in the shop and you still have to pay the bank, and the depreciation of the value of the car for having a non-orginal motor. Or attempt to have ford buy back your car and declare it a Lemon. :headbonk:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What the hell do I have to do with any of this?

Leave me out of this please.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
It is a lot easier to get hp/L numbers out of smaller displacement engines than it is with larger displacement engines. Power isn't linear. For example, a 2.0L in a CLA45 makes 375hp, or 188hp/L. Based on that math, a Z06 for example with 6.2L should be able to easily make 1162hp right? It just doesn't work like that.

As displacement increases, much stronger materials are required, and more effort is required to make bigger HP number, especially when it comes to NA engines.

windnsea00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I would contact legal counsel that specializes in lemon law. :gossip:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

" The vehicle has been out of service for more than 30
days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being
repaired for any number of warranty problems "

In an effort to Recoup some payments while your car is in the shop and you still have to pay the bank, and the depreciation of the value of the car for having a non-orginal motor. Or attempt to have ford buy back your car and declare it a Lemon. :headbonk:
It crossed my mind, not sure I want to deal with all that hassle.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It is a lot easier to get hp/L numbers out of smaller displacement engines than it is with larger displacement engines. Power isn't linear. For example, a 2.0L in a CLA45 makes 375hp, or 188hp/L. Based on that math, a Z06 for example with 6.2L should be able to easily make 1162hp right? It just doesn't work like that.

As displacement increases, much stronger materials are required, and more effort is required to make bigger HP number, especially when it comes to NA engines.
Friction too. Friction is a big big deal. Power per displacement is such a stupid argument without taking into consideration everything such as RPM, actual displacement, etc etc. Prime example being big diesel engines. 6.7L turbocharged Cummins that makes 385 HP........at a whole 2800 RPM. The Voodoo isn't outputting 385 horsepower until around 4700 RPM according to my math.

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It crossed my mind, not sure I want to deal with all that hassle.
If engines keep failing, then having a replacement motor might actually increase its value. Messed up, but I could see that happening.